PDA

View Full Version : Oil won't drain?

Foxhound013
08-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Ok, i pulled the plugs last night to change oil, and a little came out of both plugs but not even close to the near 2 quarts we put in it. Where could it all have gone, i'm not leaking oil cause it would have siezed up by now with that little of oil in it, What i'm wondering is, is it possible that all of that oil is in the top of the head, the oil filter, and the clutch (I think its a wet clutch if i'm not mistaken lol, sorry if i'm wrong lol) What do i do to get all this oil to drain. We let it sit with the plugs out all night to see if it would drain anymore but it wouldn't, any suggestions?

slightlybent47
08-05-2010, 03:04 PM
It’s gotta be going somewhere. Check the dipstick and see if there is any in the oil tank.
If not then you are loosing it somewhere.

mjc400ex
08-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Is the oil that drained a normal used oil consistency?
I wonder if it somehow broke down and became gunk.

TRXRacer1
08-05-2010, 03:37 PM
How often do you check it? Could just be burning off.

4reeds
08-05-2010, 06:29 PM
tip it on its side alittle,see if you get any more out of the motor.

dalejiw25
08-06-2010, 06:06 AM
OK, I noticed in your sig that you also have a 09 KFX 450R. Now these newer bikes have been known to siphon the oil out of the older and quicker bikes as a form of Sabotage. You must keep them separated. If possible, house them in different barns. It could also be the dreaded "Oil Fairies" that get in there while you sleep. So remember, keep em separated and lock the doors. Good luck.
Keep us Posted. Much appreciated.

Foxhound013
08-06-2010, 08:37 AM
dalejw25, I don't have an 09 kfx 450r lol, I just have the shocks on the good ol hondy lol. About them oil fairies, maybe i shouldve bought the anti fairy oil lol. I'm gonna put some oil in it tonight and drain it back out to see if i can flush some of the old outta there. I'm done using oil from advanced auto lol, I'm gonna go pick up some maxima 10w 40 tonight and run that after i flush it out with the oil i already have. The oil did look a little gunky so maybe it did break down. Maybe i caught it just in time lol. Oh well no damage as of right now, so i'm just gonna change the oil filter, flush new oil through it, and then put in the maxima. Oh and we did tip it on its side for a few hours and no more came out.

dodahman
08-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Mine just barely came out too until I disconnected the oil lines and drained the tank. This was of course before I realized there was a plug in the bottom of the oil tank.

slightlybent47
08-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Dumber things have happened, I never thought about that but are you draining it out of just the crank case or the oil tank.
Because there are two drain plugs on the ex. One on the case and one on the oil tank.

i'm not saying your a dummy but i once had trubble starting mine, till i realized the kill switch was off. lol

CarGuy7a
08-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Also make sure you have the correct plug in the crank case removed. There is actually 2 oil plugs in the crank case. The drain plug is on the left side under the shifter, the second is just a crank case oil level check plug and it's on the right side where the oil lines connect.

I usually drain the oil tank first, then when that's finished draining I'll put the plug back in the tank. Then I'll take the drain plug out of the crank case and when it's almost done draining I'll jack the right side of the quad up in the air so the remaining oil in the crank case will drain out.

sc400ex_rider
08-07-2010, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
Also make sure you have the correct plug in the crank case removed. There is actually 2 oil plugs in the crank case. The drain plug is on the left side under the shifter, the second is just a crank case oil level check plug and it's on the right side where the oil lines connect.

I usually drain the oil tank first, then when that's finished draining I'll put the plug back in the tank. Then I'll take the drain plug out of the crank case and when it's almost done draining I'll jack the right side of the quad up in the air so the remaining oil in the crank case will drain out.

ya..........