PDA

View Full Version : chevy dealer started my blazer on FIRE!!

DnB_racing
08-05-2010, 08:00 AM
I recently purchased a 2002 blazer , I was having an issue with the transmission leaking fluid out the vent tub near the dipstick, so I brought the car to a Chevy dealer just to get an estimate on how much to fix.I told them not to do any work on it just find out how much it would cost to fix, I wasn't sure if I was going to keep or return to seller. I told them that I was afraid to drive it cause it might catch fire. Well sure enough the moron on the road test pushed it to diagnose the problem and started a fire!!! melted wire harness toasted hood and who knows what else, are they idiots I told them to be careful that it will start fire. They said that my insurance has to pay for the damages that they caused!!shouldn't there insurance have to cover it?? Im sick about the whole thing

dehner47
08-05-2010, 08:21 AM
there insurance should be the ones picking it up. id fight them on that one dude. for real. a car dealer has awesome insurance since ther employees drive dealer cars and customers going on test rides in new cars. so they have great coverage. dont let them scam ya. demand to see them in court if they dont pay up...

protraxrptr17
08-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Nope, the cars insurance covers that. That's why you always see a big sign in repair shops that says, "Not responsible for theft or fire" Its to protect us from somebody setting fire to their vehicle intentionally so we will have to pay for it. Or stealing it from our property and making us pay. Just how it is.

DnB_racing
08-05-2010, 08:44 AM
I hope they cover it cause Ive got the cheapest insurance I could get. Ive been driving 20 year and have only had to use my insurance once, so I get inexpensive insurance cause I never use it.

but are they complete idiots?? I told them straight out that I was worried it would catch fire!

edit :: so if its my insurance I might be screwed?

wrekd
08-05-2010, 08:45 AM
Thats BS!! I would raise hell over that one. It was in their posession when it caught fire and one of their mechanics was driving when it happened!! That should be all on them.

OutlawBill
08-05-2010, 08:58 AM
See what happens when the Federal Gov works on your car. :D You should have your INS pay for it. They have the money and lawyers to go after the dealership that is part of having Insurance

protraxrptr17
08-05-2010, 09:03 AM
I agree with you that they should have been more careful, but I don't think they are legally required to help you. Talk to them calmly and give them a real sob story and you might work something out with them. Did you owe money on this vehicle? If you did, your insurance would have to be sufficient to cover this.

DnB_racing
08-05-2010, 03:05 PM
the more I think about it the more I think they should be responsible!!! if they drop your carburetor and brake it they would have to fix.
and the mechanic told me that ''IT WAS SMOKING REAL BAD'' so I turned back to the shop and it started on fire''!! If he would have just stopped when he saw smoke then it wouldn't have burnt, I feel it was negligent on his part to keep driving it instead of towing it back

I dont have any loan and I dont have collision on it so Im not sure if my insurance will cover, Im still waiting for there response

chucked
08-05-2010, 03:30 PM
You probably have liability only. If I were you I would call a lawyer for advice. Not much sense asking a bunch of four wheeler riders.

CJM
08-05-2010, 04:11 PM
it will probably work like this:

Your insurance will sue the dealer for the cost and pay you.

DnB_racing
08-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by chucked
You probably have liability only. If I were you I would call a lawyer for advice. Not much sense asking a bunch of four wheeler riders. ya looks like it's going to lawyers. my insurance isn't going to cover and the dealer says they wont pay for it Cause there deductible is to high, looks like its time for judge Alex

slightlybent47
08-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by CJM

Your insurance will sue the dealer for the cost and pay you.

Bingo!!!!!

chucked
08-05-2010, 07:09 PM
He already said they wont cover it.

CJM
08-05-2010, 08:29 PM
He already said they wont cover it.

Of course they say no now, fight it and they will get your cash.

DnB_racing
08-05-2010, 11:56 PM
ya they are already saying its part of diagnosing the problem and they aren't responsible. Ive only gone as far as the local sales manager, I'm going to see the branch manager today, and Ive got some discrepancies in there story from the service manager, they have already changed there story about stopping when they saw smoke, there trying to cover there tracks.Im going to talk to a lawyer before I see the branch manager to try to find out my rights,

one thing that they did by causing damage they screwed up the chance I had of returning the vehicle to the seller,I wasnt even sure I was going to keep the car if it needed a new tranny I was going to get a refund!now Im stuck with a car that needs a new transmission, wire harness, a painted hood, and a bunch of other burnt parts.
Im not sure if I should have the Chevy dealer do a estimate for there damage or get the car out of there, so Ive got to see the lawyer before I make any more wrong moves,

all I wanted the idiots to do was give ma an estimate of how much it would cost to fix a transmission and they couldn't even do that!

DnB_racing
08-06-2010, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by CJM

Your insurance will sue the dealer for the cost and pay you. my insurance isn't going to cover it, as I dont have any extra options, only liability for me. I never thought that something like this would happen, I payed cash for car and was not required to get the comprehensive insurance
the worst part of this is I got the car for my daughter ( her first car) shes going to collage and needs a car to be able to commute back and forth! now with all the bills for her school and after getting this car Im totally broke!
I feel like I let her down I dont know how she is going to get to school
. shes all worried, Its making me sick. I feel like I failed her! everyone remebers there first car!!!! what did I do wrong? IM sorry but im actually in tears over this!!!

mxduner
08-06-2010, 12:11 AM
Ive got to see the lawyer before I make any more wrong moves Right there my friend is the very most important thing for you to do, imho. Sadly it works this way, only to prevent them screwing you on technical b.s. if it goes down that road. Get aggressive representation as well. good luck

DnB_racing
08-06-2010, 12:16 AM
I think If the laywer cant resolive this soon ill have to sell my quad to pay for a car for her to use for commuting. She needs it more than I need to have a toy!it just makes me sad I do love to ride and I know once I sell my quad I wont be able to afford another

trx310R#24
08-06-2010, 12:44 AM
iv seen this happen many time.. most of the time they end up paying for it after you say anything about lawyers..

they broke it cuz they drove it thats retarded they SHOULD know better then that and they know it. you found the problem and took it to them BEFORE it turned into a big problem... told them not to drive it and they still did. they should never have drove the car.

DnB_racing
08-06-2010, 12:51 AM
right now even if they fix what they caused, Im stuck with a car that needs a new tranny!

bseckel
08-06-2010, 04:52 AM
I work for a dealership and they are responsible for that. It was running when you brought it to them although not that good, and you should get it back in the same condition that it was brought to them in.

mxduner
08-06-2010, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by bseckel
I work for a dealership and they are responsible for that. It was running when you brought it to them although not that good, and you should get it back in the same condition that it was brought to them in.
right now even if they fix what they caused, Im stuck with a car that needs a new tranny! so they fix it, and by this time he will still be stuck a broken vehicle he wanted to return

DnB_racing
08-06-2010, 07:31 AM
Ive got a call into my lawyer right now, hes is checking on the liability right now Ill keep ya posted!!

the way it looks now is that Ill have to sell quad oh-well it was fun riding!! but im a father and I come second to my kids needs,I would rather my daughter go to collage then me have fun!

Guy400
08-06-2010, 09:31 AM
In all honesty, it would be cheaper for them to give you a new vehicle off their used lot than it would be to even fight this. Happened to a friend of mine. He was going through an intersection when a young parts runner ran a red light and T-boned my buddy. He was banged up pretty bad but nothing was broken but his car was totaled. Before it even went to litigation the dealership told him to pick any car off the lot and sign that no further legal action would be sought. He wound up getting a brand new Cobra.

I would be honest with the dealership and tell them that you're not looking to become a millionaire off this but you are looking for reliable transportation for your daughter. Ask them if there's any deal that can be had before lawyers get involved and cost the both of you more money than necessary.

CJM
08-06-2010, 10:51 AM
^ thats pretty amazing Guy..shame your buddy even got banged up a bit but Id say it was worth a new cobra.

Guy400
08-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by CJM
^ thats pretty amazing Guy..shame your buddy even got banged up a bit but Id say it was worth a new cobra. We actually tried to get him to pick a F250 diesel that was fully loaded and then just sell it for the money but he wouldn't listen and he picked the Cobra. Too bad it was right after high school so what he got was a '94 Cobra that got waxed on a regular basis by my LT1 Z28.

camaromitch
08-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
Too bad it was right after high school so what he got was a '94 Cobra that got waxed on a regular basis by my LT1 Z28.

^ :D Ha ha ha ha I hear that.

And as an Insurance Agent, the guys here are right if you had collision. Your insurance company would have paid you for the vehicle minus your deductibe and then subrogated against the dealership if there was any liability. Then after the insurance company was paid they would have paid you the deductible back (assuming it was totalled).

That is the main reason I always try to get people to raise their deductibles rather than just completely dropping comprehensive and collision. I see this all to often.

I hope everything works out for you, and think of it this way. Sell you quad for what its worth today and it will be half that in 5 years :)

bens250ex
08-06-2010, 05:03 PM
well my buddy is dealin with a sim prob, took the truck to get rear end noise fixed they rebuilt the rear end 70 miles down the road the rear axle shears off and his tire/brake assembly and all pass him going 70mph. he tried to get them to pay to fix it ...they wouldn't, he said he was getting a lawyer...didn't matter, lawyer sent a letter....still refused to fix it just said they would do it labor free...so he got a tow truck to drive 150 miles pick the truck up at the dealer take it home and get his mechanic to fix it....needless to say yes he is still trying to sue them, but it will be a long process before it gets finished. its a bunch of b/s. i know that if this happened to my truck they would prob think i was a crazy person. i know this..... i would not leave that dealership until i was in handcuffs or had signed papers saying it was going to be fixed.

DnB_racing
08-06-2010, 05:09 PM
I just filed a complaint with better business bureau, I talked to my lawyer and he said that he would notify them. (like that's going to do anything) I will have to take them to small claims court! because they are being real jerks!!

>>>>>>>A warning to all stay away from Colonial Chevrolet West in Fitchburg Massachusetts<<<<<<<<

bens250ex
08-06-2010, 05:27 PM
best of luck to you man, just keep pressure and they will give

wrekd
08-07-2010, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by bens250ex
best of luck to you man, just keep pressure and they will give

x2...Keep on em!!

DnB_racing
08-07-2010, 10:41 AM
I wish I had a tape recorder with me for all talks I had with them!! they keep revising there story to make it sound better for them!

>>>>does anybody know if the mechanics have to document the time they leave the shop with a car for a road test?<<<<<

Black Sheep
08-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Do the next best thing, bring a witness with you. Also keep a record of what they tell by writing it down in a notebook. Make sure you date everything. If it ever goes to court you have a record of what was said and a witness to collaborate your notes.

You could bring a tape recorder but check with your state laws. In some sates that is illegal.

Some mechanics document there stuff some don't

CJM
08-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
I wish I had a tape recorder with me for all talks I had with them!! they keep revising there story to make it sound better for them!

>>>>does anybody know if the mechanics have to document the time they leave the shop with a car for a road test?<<<<<

At a dealer maybe, but in reality threatening a lawsuit should make them crumble. If not actually see what the lawyer says, I bet they take the case. Thus the dealer will be sweating bullets and willing to make a deal.

But all bs aside, they knew it had an issue but took it for a test ride anyways. Common sense says they shoulda known better.

DnB_racing
08-07-2010, 01:56 PM
I went there just a little while ago to "TRY" to get some info!! they wouldn't let me see the mechanic notes or my work order!!
Im still waiting on a lawyer accepting my case. as such im not saying or asking the dealership much. I dont want to make any wrong moves!
on Monday I will be seeing the regional branch manager from chevy and I will be bringing a camera and a tape recorder

CJM
08-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Its past the point really for wheeling and dealing imho.

When you meet the manager monday dont say much, see what they have to say. You must inform them you wish to tape record them tho, otherwise its inadmissible and illegal.

DnB_racing
08-08-2010, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Its past the point really for wheeling and dealing imho.

When you meet the manager monday dont say much, see what they have to say. You must inform them you wish to tape record them tho, otherwise its inadmissible and illegal.

ya your right no point in talking to them and letting them get there story tight. Its time to talk with the one in charge and find out there intentions.I will let him do all the talking,Im only interested in what they plan to do. Ive already tried to lawyer up just waiting for his acceptance of the case.

It just really burns my arss that a supposedly respectable dealer is bieng so deceptive and under handed.

I will be filing a complaint with Chevy about the service manager not allowing me access to my work order and mechanics notes and times

Tommy Warren
08-08-2010, 03:21 PM
what do you expect when you buy a "blazer":D

250r rider 88
08-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
what do you expect when you buy a "blazer":D

i too own a blazer and it has been the most reliable vehicle i have ever had and would buy another one in a heart beat, don't knock it till you've tried it

Tommy Warren
08-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by 250r rider 88
i too own a blazer and it has been the most reliable vehicle i have ever had and would buy another one in a heart beat, don't knock it till you've tried it

okay you don't get it.....blazer....fire....blaze....

dns1764
08-09-2010, 04:47 PM
well all i can say about blazers is that i am blazed out of my mind right now:blah:

DnB_racing
08-11-2010, 11:11 AM
just a update...... I hired an attorney, sent a complaint to the better business bureau.

The Chevy dealer is denying any wrong doing and have changed there story to say that they never were informed of any fire issues!!and are saying that its my fault!!

oh well looks like its going to court!! the thing with that is they will be responsible for three times the mitigating value or something like that.
Its goung to take some time but im not going to give up!!! they are going to fix or pay

250rAL
08-12-2010, 07:30 AM
If you don't have any written proof or a witness that was with you, they're going to get on the stand and lie,lie,lie.

DnB_racing
08-12-2010, 07:40 AM
they already showed how low they will stoop!!!my only thing that might save me is the work order has all the details,I saw it and with the mechanics notes on the back of the signed agreement. as long as they dont tamper or destroy the records? if they destroy them i would think that's an even bigger lawsuit

Because of one bad apple!!! I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER CHEVY!!!!!!

Guy400
08-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Because of one bad apple!!! I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER CHEVY!!!!!! I can certainly appreciate your frustration but don't blame a manufacturer for a local service department's screw up on a used vehicle with unknown maintenance history. That's like saying you'll never buy another Honda quad again because your local dealership messed something up on a valve job you asked to be performed. I fail to see how this is Chevy's fault.

DnB_racing
08-12-2010, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
I can certainly appreciate your frustration but don't blame a manufacturer for a local service department's screw up on a used vehicle with unknown maintenance history. That's like saying you'll never buy another Honda quad again because your local dealership messed something up on a valve job you asked to be performed. I fail to see how this is Chevy's fault. it might not be Chevy's fault, But I was trying to deal with the regional general manager, and any company that has there executives be that dishonest is not a reputable company! this is a certified Chevy dealer and should represent the company as such they represented it in a truly ugly way! and like I said I will never buy another Chevy again, if they allow this to happen in there name then there name is ruined for me, im not giving up because they made a mistake! Im saying this because how they represent Chevy

chucked
08-12-2010, 09:30 AM
With that logic you might as well forget driving and walk around barefoot instead.

DnB_racing
08-12-2010, 10:28 AM
With that logic you might as well forget driving and walk around barefoot instead. Im just done with a company thats trying to screw me over!! im not going to let them walk all over me. Im suing chevy and there layers are representing them, so its chevy that will pay me what they owe me for there mistake!!

scuzz
08-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Screw Chevy! Get a GMC!

250rAL
08-13-2010, 07:40 AM
they already showed how low they will stoop!!!my only thing that might save me is the work order has all the details,I saw it and with the mechanics notes on the back of the signed agreement. as long as they dont tamper or destroy the records? if they destroy them i would think that's an even bigger lawsuit

Because of one bad apple!!! I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER CHEVY!!!!!!

I'm sure that anything that would hurt their case has already been "lost".

slightlybent47
08-13-2010, 07:54 AM
You may try to go over there head and take it up with corporate, the dealer may be in for a real spanking from GM for making them look so bad. I also would get a copy of the work order before they “conveniently loose it” and you have no proof. If you ask for it they have to give it to you. Most people don’t put there foot down and insist on getting a fair deal, keep on there *** and good luck.

DnB_racing
08-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by 250rAL
I'm sure that anything that would hurt their case has already been "lost". but that might help me also, its a signed work order,,, I would think that they are supposed to keep them! at least im hoping

I Told them I wanted a copy of the work order and they wouldn't give it to me
Edit::: my last words to them was my records better not be destroyed they will be subpoenaed