PDA

View Full Version : Exercise advise?

flyboy1294
08-04-2010, 11:52 PM
I have a few exercise related questions. I'm not looking to get bashed or get advise from a 12-year-old so if you can't contribute don't bother. ;) I've looked around body-building forums, but most of the guys are on are hulks and can't really help unless I can spend hours at the gym daily.

I am pretty avid about staying in shape. It helps with mx and also with sports. (I play varsity baseball. Am trying out for football next season.) At the moment, I do 1000 crunches and 350 pushups, along with running 2 miles everyday-rain or shine. I am happy with the way I've toned up over the past 8 months that I've been doing the program.

Lately I have been concerned about putting some more bulk on. I have tried mixing up my routin for a few weeks but haven't seen the muscle build-up that I was hoping for. I have heard about trying some protien suppliments (Monster Milk, etc) but a few friends of mine said that it will make me fat as a bear on my current work-out routine. Going to the gym isn't really an option. I'm taking college classes this year and the gym is a 45 minute drive in the opposite direction.

So basically, is whey protien the way (lol) for me to go? If not, does anyone have alternatives? I'd like to go ahead and bulk up for next season.

Thanks guys.

eastcoastpro20
08-05-2010, 02:55 AM
get somethin with cryotine in it

ben300
08-05-2010, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by flyboy1294
I have a few exercise related questions. I'm not looking to get bashed or get advise from a 12-year-old so if you can't contribute don't bother. ;) I've looked around body-building forums, but most of the guys are on are hulks and can't really help unless I can spend hours at the gym daily.

I am pretty avid about staying in shape. It helps with mx and also with sports. (I play varsity baseball. Am trying out for football next season.) At the moment, I do 1000 crunches and 350 pushups, along with running 2 miles everyday-rain or shine. I am happy with the way I've toned up over the past 8 months that I've been doing the program.

Lately I have been concerned about putting some more bulk on. I have tried mixing up my routin for a few weeks but haven't seen the muscle build-up that I was hoping for. I have heard about trying some protien suppliments (Monster Milk, etc) but a few friends of mine said that it will make me fat as a bear on my current work-out routine. Going to the gym isn't really an option. I'm taking college classes this year and the gym is a 45 minute drive in the opposite direction.

So basically, is whey protien the way (lol) for me to go? If not, does anyone have alternatives? I'd like to go ahead and bulk up for next season.

Thanks guys.

say your saying you want to bulk up?

well you can go about it through two different methods, with two different outcomes...

1) you can take protein and up your caloric intake, and your just gonna put on fat

2) you can up you caloric intake with healthy foods, a ton more protein, and most importantly, your gonna have to hit the weight gym.

i know as much as you say you dont have the time, you are never gonna pack on muscle, or "bulk up" as you say, wiht out uping your caloric intake and lifting weights.

look at it this way, all your doing right now is cardio. cardio is the evil enemy of bulking up.

so basically, if you want to put on muscle mass...you can keep the cardio routine and hit the gym and eat a ton, or you can ditch the cardio, eat some and hit the gym ..

however, if your trying to bulk up for football, which is probably starting for you in a couple of weeks if not now, your **** out of luck. muscle takes time. you can prepare for a 5k race in one month, you cant pack on 10 pounds of clean muscle in a month

unless you did a good cycle of steroids. that would do the trick:devil:

EDIT: i just re-read your post. if your gonna bulk up for next season, then just find a good whey protein, eat healthy, and hit the gym 4-5 days a week. creatine will just fill you up with water weight and will make you feel bloated, trust me. it does help with recovery, imo, but once you stop taking it, you'll loose mass and strength in a couple of weeks.

a couple good proteins to take are optimum nutrition 100% (#1 selling product on the market), muscle milk, and bsn synthia-6....

and you cant beat eating eggs, peanut butter (if your not alergic), and good healthy lean chicken and red meat like beef.

derekhonda
08-05-2010, 07:38 AM
A good workout routine doesn't involve 5 hours in the gym. In fact, if you are really doing 1000 situps and 350 push ups, you've already spent twice as long working out as you probably need too.

Two things to add muscle.

Eat. Lift.

You are doing high rep low weight max right now and that is good for toning, but what you need to do is low rep high weight, that adds the size.

So, eat yourself a lot of chicken, eggs, clean proteins along with your fruits and veges etc, get some whey protein or something of the like for a post workout shake

Get yourself to the gym and on a good 5x5 split and get your diet down and you will start seeing results.

DnB_racing
08-05-2010, 07:49 AM
im not sure of your age and bone structure, but understand that depending on your growth, height, and weight that your body has to be almost done growing before it will start to let your muscles bulk up if your body isnt full developed and matured yet most of the protiens will go to your normal groth. that being said good diet and exersize will help your body mature, basically if your body isnt ready to bulk up yet it wont

dns1764
08-05-2010, 08:05 AM
i have just started goin to the gym this summer, and i take N.O.explode before my workout and a whey protein after. in 3 months i have put on 20 pounds of muscle.

ben300
08-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by dns1764
i have just started goin to the gym this summer, and i take N.O.explode before my workout and a whey protein after. in 3 months i have put on 20 pounds of muscle.

20 pounds of muscle is alot of muscle to put on in 3 months

flyboy1294
08-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by ben300
say your saying you want to bulk up?

well you can go about it through two different methods, with two different outcomes...

1) you can take protein and up your caloric intake, and your just gonna put on fat

2) you can up you caloric intake with healthy foods, a ton more protein, and most importantly, your gonna have to hit the weight gym.

i know as much as you say you dont have the time, you are never gonna pack on muscle, or "bulk up" as you say, wiht out uping your caloric intake and lifting weights.

look at it this way, all your doing right now is cardio. cardio is the evil enemy of bulking up.

so basically, if you want to put on muscle mass...you can keep the cardio routine and hit the gym and eat a ton, or you can ditch the cardio, eat some and hit the gym ..

however, if your trying to bulk up for football, which is probably starting for you in a couple of weeks if not now, your **** out of luck. muscle takes time. you can prepare for a 5k race in one month, you cant pack on 10 pounds of clean muscle in a month

unless you did a good cycle of steroids. that would do the trick:devil:

EDIT: i just re-read your post. if your gonna bulk up for next season, then just find a good whey protein, eat healthy, and hit the gym 4-5 days a week. creatine will just fill you up with water weight and will make you feel bloated, trust me. it does help with recovery, imo, but once you stop taking it, you'll loose mass and strength in a couple of weeks.

a couple good proteins to take are optimum nutrition 100% (#1 selling product on the market), muscle milk, and bsn synthia-6....

and you cant beat eating eggs, peanut butter (if your not alergic), and good healthy lean chicken and red meat like beef.

Yeah it would be for next season in football, but baseball starts conditioning this fall. I don't see it really being an issue- I can play my position great in my current physical condition. Football is where I could use to put on some weight.

As of now I basically live on chicken, peanut butter, and cantalope. Actually gives me quite a bit of energy. :o

A good workout routine doesn't involve 5 hours in the gym. In fact, if you are really doing 1000 situps and 350 push ups, you've already spent twice as long working out as you probably need too.

Two things to add muscle.

Eat. Lift.

You are doing high rep low weight max right now and that is good for toning, but what you need to do is low rep high weight, that adds the size.

So, eat yourself a lot of chicken, eggs, clean proteins along with your fruits and veges etc, get some whey protein or something of the like for a post workout shake

Get yourself to the gym and on a good 5x5 split and get your diet down and you will start seeing results.

Yeah, I'm seriously doing that. It only takes me a little over an hour to go through the floor routine. Then about 12 minutes to run the 2 miles.

I couldn't really do the gym until I was off next summer. (I don't know if you all have picked up on it, but I live in a very small town, the gym is the next town over :D I cannot make it unless I don't have to make it to classes in the morning/afternoon) I might be able to pick up some dumbells for cheap though. Any idea on what weights I should look into?

im not sure of your age and bone structure, but understand that depending on your growth, height, and weight that your body has to be almost done growing before it will start to let your muscles bulk up if your body isnt full developed and matured yet most of the protiens will go to your normal groth. that being said good diet and exersize will help your body mature, basically if your body isnt ready to bulk up yet it wont

I forgot to mention in my earlier post. I'm in my mid/late teens and probably have about 3 inches and around 60lbs more to grow/gain. I've got a pretty good build naturally. I'm @ 5' 10" and 145lbs. Bicept is 15", chest 40", waist 30", shoulders 47". But I figure if I start a good routine now it'll pay off within' the next couple years.

sexysilverado45
08-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by dns1764

n.o explode is nothing but a big energy drink. i used to take that stuff berfore football games because it is some potent stuff if you want to be bouncing off the wall, it does nothing to make you stronger or pack on mucle.

what you need to do is get the stuff called nitrix by the people who make n.o explode. so your going to take nitrix and whey protien its a good combo because nitrogen is a building block for protien. also stay away from creatine unless you want to look like a woman after she gave birth/also not the healthiest for the kiddnes(sp).

there is a new supplement out call bi deca saul(i think is how its spelled) its a pretty good supliment, also there is something called aplodan(gives you a 10% increase in your max weight in under a week)

none of the things i have listed are steroids they are supplements your should be able to find at the store

the best ones are the nitrix and whey protien inbetween 8th grade and freshmen year i put on 70lbs of muscle no fat.(some due to growth spurt and other due to the combo.)

slightlybent47
08-07-2010, 04:43 PM
That’s a double edge sword, if you bulk up to much it will hurt your riding performance, but it will help you with football and baseball. The best way I know to put on mass is weight training and a high protein diet.

DnB_racing
08-07-2010, 05:31 PM
realize that everyone respond to the different supplements different, basically you have to find what works for you!!

the thing that's common among all humans is we need lean protein and high fiber!

other than that one supplement might let one person grow 20lbs and another gain nothing! start with a quality name and try it you dont need the most expensive supplements if you follow a good healthy exercising and eating regimen
I personally had excellent results with a high creatine and high protein, with absolutely no negative results, but like I said everyone is different