View Full Version : help??axle bearings

nigsrig
11-29-2001, 01:59 PM
i was trying to remove my old axle beaings today and could not figure out how to get them out,,do you have to have them pressed out or is there some sort of secret to removing them??

CranMan
11-29-2001, 05:15 PM
There must be a special tool. I'm a mechanic and I had a hell of a time removing mine. The problem is there's no edge to put a punch on and drive them out from the opposite side. I ended up busting my bearings and then I was able to get the inner peice out. Good luck:)

redrider ex
11-29-2001, 06:00 PM
once you have the bearing carrior out of the swing arm take out the seals that are against the bearing now you need a die grinder
or drimale and where the inner race (bushing) inside the two bearings meet you grind a spot in the bushing next to the bearing
for a spot to put a punch or long screwdriver to hammer out the bearing this doesnt hurt the race enough to bother any thing and the grind spot will be there the next time making it easy.:huh :huh :huh :huh :huh :huh

oynot400
11-29-2001, 07:48 PM
Be careful hammering out the bearings. When I had one go out I ended up busting my carrier. It was only a $200 mistake. ;)

CranMan
11-30-2001, 05:47 AM
Good advice redrider, I hadn't thought of that. Actually, I think the piece you said to grind a small spot out of is just a spacer that goes between the bearings. And I also think that piece (tube like spacer between the bearings) turns so you could grind a spot on opposite sides of each bearing so you could drive it out evenly. I think this post should be moved to the"Best posts" forum, because I know alot of people have run into this problem. :)

coryatver
12-02-2001, 03:24 PM
There is a special tool you can use to pound them out. After i spent a hour pouding on mine i finally got them out and then my nieghbor showed me a tool he had that would have made it a 5 min. job.

12-02-2001, 04:41 PM
How often do you guys replace your bearings. I just replaced mine 3 months ago and it need it agian.

redrider ex
12-02-2001, 05:06 PM
My 400 is almost 4 years old and its had the rear bearings replaced i think 6or7 times the last time was july 14 but the front have never been changed and there still in good shape.:huh

EX_RIDER
12-02-2001, 06:05 PM
I just replaced my first set of carrier bearings in my 400ex also.We got ours out with ease.I have gone six months and i only changed mine cause i had it apart and had the bearings and seals allready.

Since we had new bearings and seals.
We just took a mig welder and welded a little line on the bearings.Then we turned it around and used a punch and came right out.