PDA

View Full Version : 450R carb install / jetting information

400Trooper
08-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Hey if you have installed the 450R carb on your 400EX send me a PM with your information.

I'm compiling a "List" of installs to include all different sizes from stock 400 up to and including 440 stroked engines.
The information I'm looking for is:
Engine size, stroked or not
Compression ratio
Air filter type
What size Jets you are using and brand
Clip placement
A/F screw setting
Elevation, temperature, etc.

Basically everything you have dealt with in order to get your quad running correctly.

Also if you have Dyno charts, send me those as well!

Once I have enough information I will create a chart and add it as a sticky in order to help newcomers to the 450R carb add-on!

Thanks!

honda400ex2003
08-04-2010, 05:54 PM
my setup is in my sig along with my jetting. steve

honda400ex2003
08-04-2010, 05:55 PM
my dyno sheet is in a few different places on the site. lol good luck with getting it together. steve

JOHNDOE83
08-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Your gonna open up a whole can of worms here...lol.

Theres so many variables in what you do ,it will be 100% different then anyone elses no matter what you get done to the motor.

I would say do a 440, along with some other jetting and etc...mods, but half the people on here will say Im wrong.

450r carbs are easier then most people think, you dont need alot of the stuff people will say you need, jetting is kinda hard but if you have common engine knowledge its easy.

What kind of riding do you do, do you drag race alot? Do you MX, do you trail ride?

Dynos are odd, one will say one thing, another will say something different.

Are you looking for a all around performer or a purpose built quad?

400Trooper
08-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
Your gonna open up a whole can of worms here...lol.

Theres so many variables in what you do ,it will be 100% different then anyone elses no matter what you get done to the motor.

I would say do a 440, along with some other jetting and etc...mods, but half the people on here will say Im wrong.

450r carbs are easier then most people think, you dont need alot of the stuff people will say you need, jetting is kinda hard but if you have common engine knowledge its easy.

What kind of riding do you do, do you drag race alot? Do you MX, do you trail ride?

Dynos are odd, one will say one thing, another will say something different.

Are you looking for a all around performer or a purpose built quad?

Hey Johndoe83,

Thanks for the reply. I took into consideration the "can of worms" situation when I created this thread. That's okay, I like a challenge.

I personally race a 2002 TRX400EX: 440 kit, FMF full exhaust, HD studs, CRF timing chain, P&P head with the full Kibble White compliment of gear and the 450R carb / VRPilot adaptor as well. I did all the work myself, except the machining and I was there when it was done, benefits of friends with a machine shop!!

I have just a little bit of knowledge of engines! he he !

Anyway, my desired effect is to get as much information from as many people as possible. And using that information to create a table for people to use when adding on the 450R carb. Understandably everyone's situation will be different but at least there will be a baseline reference point to go from! And hopefully with the "aftermarket items" that different people are using on their quad will help in an additional information reference point for adding on such items!

Again this could turn out to be a huge undertaking but I'm willing to take it on! Besides "Knowledge is POWER!" And the worst case scenario is, I will have a better reason to enjoy a "cold Adult beverage"!

Thanks

JOHNDOE83
08-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Well for my 450r carb install, the only thing I had to do was get the 450r throttle cable, I didnt use an adapter, I didnt use a hotstart, I did literally no modification other then plug the hotstart hole and install the 450r cable and take off the choke lever.

I use the "go big or go home" method for jetting, its in my jetting thread, people try to bash my methods but its worked for alot of people and several jetting companys reccomend it also.

My quads performance speaks for itself....lol.

If I were doing mods to a stock ATV, I would make a game plan and make a list of parts I wanted, then only buy them once I had all the money at once, or buy the major components and buy the others down the line.

I dont care what anyone says, the bigger the carb the better the performance, theres noway a 39mm can perform like a 42mm carb. I do understand that if you stick a 42mm on a stock ATV it may be overkill, anything that gets a 416 or higher will greatly increase in performance from a 42mm 450r carb. A stock bore motor may not have what it takes to run a 42mm properly.

Anytime you get a bigger carb, you need more jetting, more air needs more fuel, in order to get peak performance, you need fuel to make it run proper, ALOT of these guys run excessivly lean and say it provides the most power, it will, but in the end the guy with the right amount of fuel will succeed beyond all expectations.

What jetting are you running in your 440, 400trooper?

400Trooper
08-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
Well for my 450r carb install, the only thing I had to do was get the 450r throttle cable, I didnt use an adapter, I didnt use a hotstart, I did literally no modification other then plug the hotstart hole and install the 450r cable and take off the choke lever.

I use the "go big or go home" method for jetting, its in my jetting thread, people try to bash my methods but its worked for alot of people and several jetting companys reccomend it also.

My quads performance speaks for itself....lol.

If I were doing mods to a stock ATV, I would make a game plan and make a list of parts I wanted, then only buy them once I had all the money at once, or buy the major components and buy the others down the line.

I dont care what anyone says, the bigger the carb the better the performance, theres noway a 39mm can perform like a 42mm carb. I do understand that if you stick a 42mm on a stock ATV it may be overkill, anything that gets a 416 or higher will greatly increase in performance from a 42mm 450r carb. A stock bore motor may not have what it takes to run a 42mm properly.

Anytime you get a bigger carb, you need more jetting, more air needs more fuel, in order to get peak performance, you need fuel to make it run proper, ALOT of these guys run excessivly lean and say it provides the most power, it will, but in the end the guy with the right amount of fuel will succeed beyond all expectations.

What jetting are you running in your 440, 400trooper?

Currently running 200 main and 48 pilot. I'm doing some testing this weekend, if the weather holds up, rain in the forecast here! I'm trying to convince a local shop to let me come in and dyno test and tune after hours for little to no money! If that happens I'll post those results! Should be interesting!