PDA

View Full Version : charging issue. bad stator?

jak1389
08-04-2010, 02:54 PM
hey guys ive been having this problem for quite some time now and having a hard time diagnosing the problem. ill go out for a ride and after riding around for a bit it wont want to start some of the time. the valves and decomp are good. itll start like 50% of the time and the other ill need to jump it. the voltage coming into the battery when running is 14.4 volts. in the manual it says i should be getting 15.5? and i also checked the resistance between coils and im getting about .4 ohms between them. i wanted to run this info past you guys to see what your thoughts were and im hoping its not bad, bu thats what its looking like :confused:

thanks ~jason

DnB_racing
08-04-2010, 03:01 PM
when you say it wont start .. do you mean that its not turning over or is it just clicking? it could be just a kill switch or starter button? put some more details and well see what is up with it

jak1389
08-04-2010, 03:19 PM
itll turn over but just doesnt have enough juice to start. the battery is pretty fresh got it about 3 months ago from batteries plus. but sometimes itll just have just enough power to start it up and sometimes it wont. like a hit or miss thing

DnB_racing
08-04-2010, 03:39 PM
could be possibly a few things .... a bad battery...valve adjustment...starter clutch..I doubt its your coil or stator,

jak1389
08-04-2010, 03:56 PM
valves are all within spec. battery i believe is good. how can i check if the starter clutch is bad and would it be an on and off thing. id think if it was bad itd be completely bad and not work at all. and does the resistance on the coils sound correct at 4 ohms?

DnB_racing
08-04-2010, 04:10 PM
when my starter clutch was on its way out, it would start only if my battery was fully charged, it was slipping just enough not to start when under hard starting situations. but im thinking its your valves what is your compression set at? any higher than 60 psi and it will be hard to start and put wear on starter clutch.valves in spec can still have too high compression

4 ohms at your coil really doesn't tell you much aside that there is a full coil. you really need a peak voltage meter to check properly. a fluke meter or another meter with a min max hold

jak1389
08-04-2010, 04:54 PM
no idea how to set compression and figure out what psi its at. i have a fluke, how can i check it properly? and that still doesnt explain why my battery isnt getting charged all the time while riding. im baffled

DnB_racing
08-04-2010, 06:47 PM
to set compression... you have to have valve cover off, put compression tester in plug hole,wide open throttle crank till no more advancement in psi read, if over 60, adjust decompressor clearance and try until its no more than 60, to check the peak voltage output from coil procedure is on page 22-6 of the service manual its better than me trying to explain

jak1389
08-24-2010, 06:18 PM
hey sorry i havent been able to say whats been going on ive been super busy lately just running around getting ready to go back to school after a few years of working. but anywho, does anyone know if these symptoms can occur with a faulty ignition coil? im having thoughts it could be that too. it only happens when hot and im thinking it could be a spark issue. thoughst??