PDA

View Full Version : Is my Camera on its way out?

yellowzo3
08-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Well, I just have a regular point and shoot I use for general picture taking (Kodak EasyShare DX7590), and its served me well for many years. I was happy with the quality and it's done everything I've needed it to. I'm no photographer so it was perfect for me for everyday use, easy to upload pictures to the computer, easy to navigate settings on the camera and all that jazz.

However, over the past few days its been having trouble focusing and the pictures seem to be of lower quality than before. I haven't changed any of the settings or anything. At first I thought it just might be the lighting or something but I've taken pictures both inside and out and it's unable to focus on closeups (writing, logos, welds, etc...).

Is the cameras time running thin or is it something simple that needs to be fixed? The camera is a "few" years old but everything still works fine and it holds a charge great, etc...

If I have to get a new one what would you guys recommend? I really would just want another p&s with video capability. Not looking for anything insane, but not trying to take the cheap way out either.

I know there are a few camera experts on here so I figured it was worth a shot. Thanks in advance! :cool:

Pappy
08-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Make sure to clean the lens off...sometimes a fingerprint can ruin your day.

If its clean, you could possibly be looking at buying a new one figuring this one isnt worth sending in for repair.

Not sure what your budget is, but you will be miles ahead if you can afford the basic DSLR and get away from the P&S.

yellowzo3
08-04-2010, 02:17 PM
I thought maybe a dirty lens was screwing things up as well so I cleaned the lens but sadly the results didn't change :(

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't send it in for repair as its years old and would only be falling even further behind the times if I spend some $$ on repairs.

My brother has a D40 and messes around with that a little, and honestly, its too much for me to handle lmao... I'll never use all the gizmos and features. It would be nice to have an entry level DSLR though as I guess I could "grow" into it.

I mainly use the camera for quick shots of old parts or just random pics for forums.

Would an entry level DSLR be alright for general picture taking? I don't do any photography and dont want to get flustered with all kinds of settings and software. I'm afraid it'll do me more harm than good :p

Pappy
08-04-2010, 02:28 PM
All the entry level cameras have an auto setting just like your p&s.

yellowzo3
08-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Sweet!! Thanks Pap!

Canadian144
08-04-2010, 07:48 PM
I have a Canon Eos Rebel T1i.... it has auto mode, I used auto a lot when I first got it but gradually have been shifting to use manual mode under almost all circumstances. Just need to get a new lens and get rid of the piece of junk it comes with! It's 14.5 megapixels (or something like that) and records HD video.

I believe that not all DSLRs shoot video though. My dad has a Canon Eos Rebel XSi, it's 12 megapixel, but doesn't shoot video at all.

My dad also has a Canon G10... I'd say it's the best P&S camera I've ever used. I believe they make the G11 now.