PDA

View Full Version : Average break-in time on rebuild ?

Xplorer99
08-04-2010, 01:02 PM
hey guys, got the 440 going. runs awesome, has all kinds of power. for break in so far i rode it around a field going up and down thru the gears1-3 and 3-1 for about 15 mins. let it cool, repeated that about 5-7 times starting with very easy throttle up to about half throttle going up to 4th and 5th gear and back down. changed the oil 2 times. had 2.0 hrs on it and took it for easy ride thru woods for half hour. changed oil. rode it today and it has 3.7hrs on it now, i kept shifting up and down varrying the RPM.

how many hours until i can really get on it ?

thanks for the input

honda400ex2003
08-04-2010, 01:23 PM
imo you are good to go after a couple more rides. you should just keep varying the rpms and you will be set.

this is a good one too for discussion. :D lots of different opinions on this one. ill give mine. 3-4 15minute practice track type sessions with a cool down inbetween. this varies the rpms and gets chamber pressures up to help seal the rings and such better. I do it at least till i cant feel it getting any stronger. most guys just run it slower for a tank or so and call it. either way will work fine. steve

rooster300ex
08-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Make sure u heat cycle it a few times and give er hell.

honda250xrider
08-04-2010, 02:16 PM
I ride it just as i normally would during a race.

I have used Motoman's method at least 6 times now and has worked great for me every time.

honda400ex2003
08-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by honda250xrider
I ride it just as i normally would during a race.

I have used Motoman's method at least 6 times now and has worked great for me every time.

motoman is the one i referred to also i just couldnt remember his name thanks for the update :D steve

slightlybent47
08-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Sounds like you are about there, I started riding mine hard after about 3 hours of riding at versus speeds and rpm’s and about 5-6 heat cycles. I have 200+ hours on it now and it’s still strong as ever. I’d say let’er rip!!!http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/aktion/action-smiley-083.gif

Xplorer99
08-04-2010, 10:20 PM
ok thanks for the input. i actually am going by Motoman's method also. doing the 15 min runs around a field and letting it cool completely inbetween. i wanna go riding with some friends this weekend, so i just wanted to make sure i get it broke in all the way during the week. i plan and riding thursday and friday also for a few hours.

only problem is having this far is getting the jetting right lol. i started with 190 like reccomended. i have a 200 in it right now and it still isnt enough lol. this thing has all sorts or torque haha thanks for the input again!

400Trooper
08-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Xplorer99
ok thanks for the input. i actually am going by Motoman's method also. doing the 15 min runs around a field and letting it cool completely inbetween. i wanna go riding with some friends this weekend, so i just wanted to make sure i get it broke in all the way during the week. i plan and riding thursday and friday also for a few hours.

only problem is having this far is getting the jetting right lol. i started with 190 like reccomended. i have a 200 in it right now and it still isnt enough lol. this thing has all sorts or torque haha thanks for the input again!

Xplorer99 - Hey cool post, do me a favor and check out my thread on 450R carb / Jetting and reply to it with your elevation and temperature for your location. Plus keep me posted to the jetting changes you make!

Thanks

Xplorer99
08-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by 400Trooper
Xplorer99 - Hey cool post, do me a favor and check out my thread on 450R carb / Jetting and reply to it with your elevation and temperature for your location. Plus keep me posted to the jetting changes you make!

Thanks

well i got a a 215 in it now, still a lil hesitant at 3/4 throttle, going to put in my last jet...220. if that dont do it ill have to go buy more lol.