PDA

View Full Version : trottle heisitation after oil change?

zach0199
08-04-2010, 11:25 AM
after an oil and filter change my quad starts to hesitate after around 3/4 trottle and up it seems to get better as I ride it more but if it is still an issue later on should i rejet my main. its at 158 right now? it seemed to run fine before

honda400ex2003
08-04-2010, 12:33 PM
how much oil did you put in it? it shouldnt matter but i it can possibly. is the temp radically different from when it was jetted? it may be that you richened up quite a bit now since it is warmer and humid compared to when it was jetted. hard to say without knowing some more stuff. whats your elev? mods? all the rest of your jetting also would be good. steve

honda400ex2003
08-04-2010, 12:37 PM
i would also suggest cleaning your air filter to see if that helps out. steve

zach0199
08-04-2010, 03:15 PM
elevation is somewere around 1200 ft if i had to guess im around the pittsburgh pa area couldnt find the exact elevation. I put 2quarts in honda hp4 my levels were right on the money if that helps. Temperature is a little cooler and i would say 5 to 10 degree difference. Mods are full dg exhaust, uni closed lid filter, and wesico 85.5mm pistion 10:1. main jet is 158 pilots 42 and needle is in stock locaion. I will try cleaning the air filter however its storming here so i cant ride to see the difference it aslo seemed fairly clean before my last ride.

zach0199
08-05-2010, 08:42 AM
bump for more suggestions

honda400ex2003
08-05-2010, 09:09 AM
whoop sorry. i must have missed the email. the jetting sounds close for your elev and mods. seems fishy though. how does the plug look and such. maybe something in your carb is coming loose like your slide from the arm. it can work loose and start to make a difference in how it runs. maybe you have some bad gas? possibly something got through into your carb and got it clogged up. I would clean everything in there good then see how it does before doing any sort of jetting changes if it did run good before. I would say that is not your problem. maybe a new plug would be better to try sometimes they get gummed up a bit but it is unlikely. steve

zach0199
08-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Sorry for got to mention I changed the plug as well. However I had a question about this I ajusted my a/f screw to clear up some poping from my exhaust .
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=443584&perpage=10&pagenumber=1
Before that my plug color was perfect now its black with carbon build up. I know the a/f screw only affects lower throttle position. So I am at a loss for what to do with that. I'll check to see if the carb is working loose and check my air filter. The gas is fairly fresh about 2 weeks old. But it has been sitting for about 2 weeks as well.

honda400ex2003
08-05-2010, 11:36 AM
if i was doing the jetting, i would go off of this thread and go to the 4th post. This is the proper way to set up the pilot circuit. you can get it really close by just listening to it instead of having a tach. any popping left will be normal popping for letting off. it will have a slight pop to it, that is just the style of exhaust though.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=413556&highlight=fuel+screw+adjustment

steve

zach0199
08-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Well i just noticed i was accidently running with it choked up a bit and i put it back now all is good. It usaully is something small i over look. Thanks for all the help ill deffinatly use that post u pointed out to get it really dialed in. Appreciate the help.

honda400ex2003
08-05-2010, 05:36 PM
no prob :D lol steve