PDA

View Full Version : sponsor ships

DRC
08-04-2010, 09:39 AM
First of all I'm new to all of this racing stuff. I know absolutely nothing about racing, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
how do sponsor ships work? and how do you get sponsored? what is the point of a sponsor ship? please explain how this racing stuff works. thanks everyone.

yellowhonda400
08-04-2010, 10:03 AM
sponsors give you money/gear so that their companys name gets out there. for example fox will give u a jersey and pants along with like 50 bucks. If you do good racing people will see you wearing fox and buy foxs gear. This is my understanding of it. hope it helps

06typeS
08-04-2010, 10:08 AM
in a nutshell i agree, its a way to make racing a little more affordable (if possible ha ha)

But to get a sponsor from fox you would have to be placing very high each time you race and would have to be working your way up on the competitive level.

Also you can look for local sponsorship to pay entry fee's, offer motor work, tires ...etc

But its not just free money, gear, and work usually you have to give something in return like do signings or showings, refer people to them and such.

Its a two way street and some people don't understand that and just expect stuff to be given to them. Its a good way to get a bad rep and end up without having a sponsor.

I always come up with a list of what i can offer and take that in with me if im looking for sponsorship.

DRC
08-04-2010, 10:25 AM
how would someone go about getting a sponsor ship? Do you have to be a good racer. And do you have to even race. from what i can see any type of publicity would be good for any cycle shop, brand, etc.

06typeS
08-04-2010, 10:46 AM
sponsorship goes with racing, lots of people come out to the races and watch and thats what gets their name out.

A crowd of 500 is more valuable then a crowd of 20 people on the trails.

For big name companies yes you have a to be a great racer, they want the top people representing them. If you are good they will come find you and offer you sponsorship.

For local you might be able to get some your first or second year, but they will also want you to turn in good results. To get local you just have to go to the place of business and see if they would be intersted in sponsoring you.

Don't show up in ripped shorts and a ragged t-shirt. Be presentable and professional no company wants to sponsor a bum.

If you finish at the back of the back all the time no one will think their product is any good.

DRC
08-04-2010, 10:53 AM
ok thanks. im not a racer or anything but i am very interested in racing and i am looking into racing in the future. im just trying to get my feet in the water. But any other information on the ins and outs of racing would be great.

06typeS
08-04-2010, 11:00 AM
for racing no matter what kind

you can never have to much money

DRC
08-04-2010, 11:09 AM
hey 06types do you do any type of racing?

06typeS
08-04-2010, 11:17 AM
use to do some road racing, but with buying a house all my race bikes are sold. Only the quad is left and i mostly ride trail with that

Me down in georgia just starting out

DRC
08-04-2010, 11:27 AM
cool, thanks for all the info. im just tryin to learn how all of this racing stuff works. its alot moreto it than i have expected.

06typeS
08-04-2010, 11:30 AM
always something new to pick up on

Good luck