PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Knowledge

leager-n-ky
08-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Anyone have any experience with the adjustable push rod on the pressure plate of these bikes?

The manual says " do not " over tighten the lock nut on this, as it will mess up the free play between it, and the actual pushrod?

What is the proper way to adjust, or what should i look for ?

Thanks in advance.

vondeister
08-04-2010, 10:30 AM
never had to mess with ours

sno-x139
08-04-2010, 01:12 PM
If you are changing the fibers, or even the whole clutch it is super simple. Put in all the fibers and steels(after they have been soaked in oil), then if replacing the pressure plate get an impact gun and take off the ajustable push rod. Then put it on the new pressure plate, just finger tighten it for now. Next, Put on the pressure plate and tighten the springs back down in a star pattern. I believe it is 5.8ft lbs. Once your springs are tight, you can put your clutch cabe ajuster(on the clutch lever) where you want. Dont worry about how the clutch play is, yet. Now return to the push rod ajuster. If you have way to much free play in your lever use a phillips screwdiver and turn it in and vice versa. Once you have the desired amount of lever free play(I run the width of a nickel between the lever and perch) put the phillips on the ajuster to hold it, then use an open ended 10mm wrench to tighten it. Dont crank it tight, just snug it down. Finally, double check that the free is unchanged. Simple as that!!! Now when reasembling everything, if the gasket is at all bent, ripped or torn REPLACE!!! They are cheap and I always have atleast 2 on hand, believe me its not worth trying to salvage and getting to the track and have it leak.

Hope this helps!!!!!
-Jake

BRRRRRAAAAAAPPPPPPP!!!!!

leager-n-ky
08-07-2010, 10:39 AM
@ Jake, In this manual it says there is a mark on the case, where the clutch cable attaches to the motor. ( i found that) it says that i am suppose to make the clutch actuator (thing the cable goes in) line up with this mark, by using that adjustable push rod.

The only way i can get them to line up is by adjusting the cable, at the lever ( wich makes my adjuster way off ) then get free play by adjusting the push rod.

sno-x139
08-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Yea, I have lined them up before but most of the time I just ajust it by free play. As long as the marks are close it shouldnt be a problem. If you want to line them up just put your lever how you want it, then ajust the push rod. It doesnt have to perfect, as long as you are happy with the free paly.
-Jake