PDA

View Full Version : stock suspension setting up?

uchi
08-03-2010, 06:51 PM
i yanked the dust covers off of my suspension finally and noticed i can adjust the compression on them, its turned out a bit but not all the way. now from setting the suspension up on my bike i know that any compression adjustments i make usually need to be followed up with some dampening adjustments. but i couldnt see the dampening screw on there. is there one on the stock 400 suspension or is it just compression?

dustin_j
08-04-2010, 11:09 AM
I think you're getting terms confused. Compression adjustment is a damping adjustment that primarily effects shock compression, not rebound. I assume what you are referring to as compression is really spring preload. Spring preload only effects the force required to start compressing the spring; the spring rate stays the same, but it increases from this new starting point.

The stock front 400ex shocks are only preload adjustable. There are no damping adjustments, and not a whole lot of damping going on, haha.

uchi
08-04-2010, 11:51 AM
That's what I meant. Lol. Worked ten hours in the heat yesterday and worked out for 2 after that. I was tired. Lol.

What about the rear? It looks like its a coil over style setup with threaded sleeve. What's the best way for someone with fat hands to adjust that? :-)

440ex. ehhh!!
08-04-2010, 12:49 PM
hammer and flat screw driver or chisel. once you break them apart, you should be able to turn the top one by hand.

uchi
08-04-2010, 03:10 PM
yeah i used a round punch on my pred, i was more after the best way to shove my hand in there. would it be easier to yank the seat and the airbox or just shove my hand up there and hope i dont loose a thumb while hammering? :)

uchi
08-04-2010, 03:10 PM
hey youre in the falls, im in thorold, are you on the canadian or us side?

440ex. ehhh!!
08-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Canadian side bud. :D
and if you use a long chisel you shouldn't have to shove your hand in there. only when you spin the top ring by hand, which is VERY easy, this past saturday i made a front lowering kit for mine because i race flat track in Paris, so i spun the rings on the back shock all the way up. Its not too hard, just don't do it too often because you'll eventually break a tooth off the ring or something. take it easy on them too. and to spin the lower ring, i found it easier with the bike in the air.

And removing the air box might make it a bit easier but it will take you longer IMO

uchi
08-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Cool thanks man. :-)

We should get together and run the canal or sand pits or something. Always looking for more quads to ride with. You ever go to the pipeline?

I've got the front cranked as tight ad it'll go. Rear is next. Maybe one day this weekend see how saucy in feeling. Lol.

440ex. ehhh!!
08-04-2010, 09:25 PM
oh **** ehh. its honestly a 3 minute drive from my house to the sand pits. im there usually 2 a week. :p and the canal im startin to ride a lot too now, i think its better then the pits. but of course im usually with my dad, hes got a 84 250r atc (HONDA) of course ;)
but yea dude. of course.
where do you prefer to ride? pits or canal?
and my front shocks are dialed in the middle, 2 up from soft and 2 down from hard. :p