PDA

View Full Version : rear brake pads

87redrider
08-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Hi all,
2001 300ex. I can't for the life of me get the new pads into the caliper and make it set back down in place around the rotor. I compressed the piston as far as it would go. They won't budge a bit to go around the rotor. What gives? I have that spring thing my manual shows installed.

smr
08-04-2010, 05:41 AM
take the emergency brake bolt out of the end. It may be touching the piston.

If that don't work then most likely your mount is stuck. Lay the caliber on the swing arm and tap the mount with a hammer. You also have two allen head bolts you can turn and spay with break free.

good luck

QuadCobbler
08-04-2010, 06:38 AM
I would agree it is probly the parking brake bolt.

Not trying to steal ur thred but have you changed ur pads before and if so how long did they last. If not, has any one had pads wear out in a couple months of riding? I wnet through three sets of pads in about 8 months. My caliper moved freely and I only ride it on the weekends in the trails.

87redrider
08-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by smr
take the emergency brake bolt out of the end. It may be touching the piston.

If that don't work then most likely your mount is stuck. Lay the caliber on the swing arm and tap the mount with a hammer. You also have two allen head bolts you can turn and spay with break free.

good luck
I'll try the parking brake cable and see what happens. I'm sure thats it. Thank you for the replies.

87redrider
08-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by QuadCobbler

Not trying to steal ur thred but have you changed ur pads before and if so how long did they last. If not, has any one had pads wear out in a couple months of riding? I wnet through three sets of pads in about 8 months. My caliper moved freely and I only ride it on the weekends in the trails.
This is the first set I've installed on this bike since i bought it 2.5 years ago. They were wore down to nothing. I installed a set on my 87' 250x and they lasted the whole time I owned that bike, about 8 years. You might need a caliper rebuild.

smr
08-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by QuadCobbler

depends on lots of things. If your riding in mud then they will wear out faster. I got about 3 months out of mine but we ride/race a lot.

Also...you could have a bent rotor.

smr
08-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by 87redrider
I'll try the parking brake cable and see what happens. I'm sure thats it. Thank you for the replies.

it's not the cable..it's the bolt that goes into the cylinder. I forgot to ask you if the the piston was flush?