PDA

View Full Version : what all gaskets do I need for a timing chainreplacement?

sleepin400
08-03-2010, 04:57 PM
I need to replace mine, so I can finally ride my bike again. Hopefully that's all that is wrong.

thanks for your help.

CJM
08-03-2010, 05:07 PM
valve cover gasket, but its metal and usually fine and the case cover gasket.

honda400ex2003
08-03-2010, 05:53 PM
if you can do it without taking your head off you just need a clutch side cover gasket and a valve cover gasket. as long as you hold onto it or at least get it back on before putting your side cover on you dont have to take your head off. just take your valve cover off and you will be good on the top. you will have to just turn your cam sprocket to get both of the bolts out to let the pressure off of the chain on top. then you can drop it down off the bottom gear. you will have to take your clutch basket off to get to the chain enough to get it off also. it shouldnt be too bad though a couple of hours i would say. steve

sleepin400
08-04-2010, 07:09 AM
thank you for the quick replies and the detailed "how to"

Now you've told me to loosen the the top so I can get the bottom off. This will be the same for putting on... Drop it from top down to the bottom and then work the top back on. I think I remember tying up the chain on the top to prevent it from falling down while your working.

sorry its been about 5-6 years since I've messed with this thing.

and torque specs for clutch basket?

honda400ex2003
08-04-2010, 12:30 PM
yeah you can do it that way. you have to loosen the cam gear to get it loose enough to take off. I suppose you could so the lower one and just take it off too. I havent tried that since i have only done it once. lol. I am not really sure of what the exact specs are right now, if you dont have a manua just download the online one and look at it. that will give you all of them, I will do that when i get home from work later if you want. steve