PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with Mojaves???

RNL
08-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Well let me first start by saying I have no experience with these quads at all. But over the weekend one peaked my interest. I've never know anyone that had one, or rode one. Back in the day(late 90's) one would show up at the local riding are maybe once a year. Never really paid much attention to them. I know they quit making them like 04 or 05?

Anyways I seen one this past weekend, running the powerlines. I have to say for a 250 four stroke I was shocked. That thing was spunky as hell. Seemed pretty fast, and was flying off the jumps and suspension seemd to be pretty good. He drag raced a Warrior, and won. This was several times down a short flat section. I couldnt believe it beat the Warrior, even if the Warrior was stock. I talked to the guy for a second, he said he had just bolt ons from some company well known for Mojave performance parts, I think he said it was CRW????? It had a pro circuit pipe, bigger carb and filter clamped right on the carb with no airbox. Said the mods really woke up the quad, and with its short wheelbase its a blast to run down tight trails and thru the woods.

Well I'm in the market for a used, cheap quad. I was wondering what others had to say bout the Mojave, as it seems like a forgotten quad. I know one thing, that thing would kill my Raptor 250 in a drag. But speed isnt everything. Anyone have oppinions, the good and bad, and why the Mojave doesnt seem to be very popular? Thanks.

slamdak8782
08-06-2010, 09:59 PM
my buddy had one it was his first quad we both loved it. Had awesome wheelie abilities smooth as butter. Back on the day they used to have some pretty wild big bores out for them. I liked it a lot and over the years it has probably been one of the funnest i ever rode. its so light you can toss it around. Makes for a lot of fun and they love to wheelie. My quads to date 400ex 350x conversion trx250r

greenblood01
08-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Mojave's are pretty sweet little quads. The company they guy was talking about is Cycle Works Racing (CWR). They make a ton of go-fast parts for the Mojave. I did one of their 330 big bores, cams, port work, 38mm flat slide, fly wheel mod and some other things to mine when I had it and it was a beast. It would put it on any stock 400EX. I don't feel that the Mojave ever got the recognition it deserved. It was way ahead of its time with dual overhead cams, 4 valve head and liquid cooling. The only think they really lacked was electric start.

907Rider
08-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by greenblood01
Mojave's are pretty sweet little quads. The company they guy was talking about is Cycle Works Racing (CWR). They make a ton of go-fast parts for the Mojave. I did one of their 330 big bores, cams, port work, 38mm flat slide, fly wheel mod and some other things to mine when I had it and it was a beast. It would put it on any stock 400EX. I don't feel that the Mojave ever got the recognition it deserved. It was way ahead of its time with dual overhead cams, 4 valve head and liquid cooling. The only think they really lacked was electric start.

Forget E-start! Thats for old guys.

The mojave lacked the suspension and lightweight parts, it didn't handle bad... just not GREAT and it was too heavy for its own good imo.

Quinn4
03-09-2011, 07:04 AM
I have to agree with this topic, I saw a mojave on craigslist for about 1300. It was punched out to a 330cc with a bunch of aftermarket stuff.
It's a shame this little quad never got the credit it deserved for all the high tech stuff it had on it as other have posted.
I've never ridden one but how do they compare to a 250x or 300ex?
It's a shame kawi didnt keep these going, maybe we would've had high tech 450's even sooner.

hak231
04-12-2011, 07:49 PM
The Mojave was pretty advanced in the engine area for it's design year which was 1987. The suspension, front end geometry, and weight held it back. I do believe that this was the same engine as in the Kawi Ninja 250 which was introduce in 1986 I think. I think they still use that engine in today's Ninja 250. It would be sweet to see that engine in a modern-day chassis like the Raptor 250. It's really too bad that other manufactures, besides Yamaha, don't have a quad for every niche. Kawi could make some great ATVs with some of the products they already offer in other model lines.

greenblood01
05-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Actually, the Mojave engine was nothing like that of the Ninja 250, the Ninja 250 has always been a twin cylinder, where the Mojave was a single. The Mojave engine came for the enduro KLR 250, with the addition of a counter balancer and a reverse gear.