PDA

View Full Version : Lonestar carrier and bearings

440ex. ehhh!!
08-03-2010, 02:00 PM
so i have a lonestar double wide bearing carrier and i replaced the bearings March 23 after they blew up, since then i have 8 races and 45 hours on the bike.
But now, as you turn the axle, the chain gets tighter and loser, as if all the balls are on one side or something.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I should probably replace them again now right?

Thanks
Josh

slightlybent47
08-03-2010, 03:02 PM
I would say it’s time to pull it out and check the bearings and see if there ok first. The seal may have not sealed good and let some dirt in, but you should be able to get a lot more hours on it then you have.

baker420ex
08-03-2010, 05:51 PM
i had mine out a week ago, i got it on the street at a low speed and the whole quad had a bad wobble, and when i pulled the axle out the bearings fell out in little pieces, and most of the groove that holds the circlip on had cracked and broken away from the carrier....that wasn't even a season's worth of riding trails with a billet double row carrier.
i was surprised to see it wear out that fast..i would check it before you ruin the whole carrier like i did...but if you are wasting right through bearings it could possibly be from the locknut being over tightened which i think mine was.

slightlybent47
08-03-2010, 06:01 PM
The spacer that goes between the bearings is supposed to prevent over tightening.

440ex. ehhh!!
08-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Yea, its definitely not over tightened. at first, when i tightened the locknut as much as it would go, there was a gap so it wasn't even pressing on the rotor hub. i slipped 2 large washer type spacers around the axle to take up that space.

and the seal on the left side is most likely chewed up or gone because the sprocket hub was all chewed up too, so it most likely took out the seal quick ;p

Xplorer99
08-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by 440ex. ehhh!!

But now, as you turn the axle, the chain gets tighter and loser, as if all the balls are on one side or something.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I should probably replace them again now right?

Thanks
Josh

i noticed a light clunking type noise when i was riding the other day, then when i pushed it in garage the chain got tighter then loose. well i just tore mine apart, and the bearing where toast. pulled the axle out and a ton of metal pieces fell out alone with a couple balls....and the carrier is junk also.

i wouldnt ride it anymore so not risk ruining you carrier.

440ex. ehhh!!
08-07-2010, 10:41 AM
yea eh. i think im just going to keep riding it, because my carrier is probabl damaged already, and it was in pretty rough shape last time i changed them.

idk though, i just checked ebay and they arel ike $120, where the bearings i put in it not too long ago were $45 i think.

Honda4life05
08-07-2010, 03:25 PM
just incase anyone wants to buy new bearing for cheap an not wait for shipping. most double row carriers all use the same bearings. go to oriley's and ask for a 1975 chevy 1/2 ac clutch bearing. (ill get the part # if anyone wants it) they are the same exact thing and they have a 1 year warranty. i just bought some and they were $15 each

Xplorer99
08-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Honda4life05
just incase anyone wants to buy new bearing for cheap an not wait for shipping. most double row carriers all use the same bearings. go to oriley's and ask for a 1975 chevy 1/2 ac clutch bearing. (ill get the part # if anyone wants it) they are the same exact thing and they have a 1 year warranty. i just bought some and they were $15 each

very useful, thanks! im a big fan of interchangeabilty haha.

440ex. ehhh!!
08-07-2010, 09:29 PM

That is friggen awesome. thanks. what about the seals though?

Honda4life05
08-08-2010, 02:43 PM
i take my seals out very carefully with a flathead and clean them up. it is oriley's part (#907257) that's the only place i have found them that can still get them.

440ex. ehhh!!
08-08-2010, 09:39 PM
so where is this "oriley's" place? website?
and abouts how much?

rattler97
08-15-2010, 10:51 AM

I found this bearing at advance auto parts but it is sealed in plastic and not metal like the ones i pulled out of my carrier. Would it make a difference if I used these or should I order some from lone star?

Honda4life05
08-16-2010, 11:04 AM
no it shouldn't matter as along as they are sealed. But just google orileys and you'll find their website, one of the biggest autoparts dealers in the states.