PDA

View Full Version : LRD Aluminum Frame

dquarton
08-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Anyone know if these are still available? My guess is that they are not. ANy used ones around? Were there any problems with them cracking?

Thanks

250Renvy
08-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Definitely not available. I've seen a couple on craigslist recently, but they were complete machines.

A couple people have had them on here and they had cracks. I think like anything it depends how much use and abuse they've had. Anything will crack if you ride it hard enough.

dquarton
08-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Thanks, there was one for sale locally with a CT 350PV motor and long travel shocks for $4500, and I am still wishing I bought it!!

hondamancbr03
08-02-2010, 10:22 PM
I have the LRD frame and after one and a half seasons of hard riding I have had no problems at all.....I really like the frame and the weight of the bike.

They are no longer available but i do know of someone in my area that is said to have a couple of them in stock but i think he wants a small fortune for them.........I can inquire if you truly are serios about it.

dquarton
08-02-2010, 10:25 PM
ooooh.....would be interested, but do have a budget. What kind of money do you think they are asking for it?

hondamancbr03
08-02-2010, 10:27 PM
As a side note...I spoke with Arlen from LRD that was a large part of the development of the frame, his only warning was if you're to launch that frame on dirt tracks you may have problems. I checked with a local welding shop and was told welding and fixing any issues would not be a problem.

hondamancbr03
08-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by dquarton
ooooh.....would be interested, but do have a budget. What kind of money do you think they are asking for it?

I just found this out a couple weeks ago and haven't called to ask yet....To be honest the company that has them (haven't verified this) is not known for good prices.

I can give you the link for the company and you can contact them if you want.

dquarton
08-02-2010, 10:30 PM
No worries there....this would be a duner......

hondamancbr03
08-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by dquarton
No worries there....this would be a duner......

That's what mine is as well.....$4,500 was a decent deal if the frame was in good shape, but if you hold out you can find the same or better deal. I'll PM you the link to the company. From what i understand they may have more than just LRD frames but like i said, nothings cheap with these guys.

mikesutphin
08-02-2010, 10:47 PM
mine is a duner and its been awesome .

mxduner
08-02-2010, 11:08 PM
I think the footpeg area was a known issue area. They did update that, but fitment,again, i think was another area that was a big problem.

hondamancbr03
08-03-2010, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by mxduner
I think the footpeg area was a known issue area. They did update that, but fitment,again, i think was another area that was a big problem.

Close....I was told by Arlen it was the billet piece of the frame where the swing arm was connected.
Fitment seems fine to me, pulled the bike down to the frame as soon as i brought it home and everything went back together like it was meant to be.
But that's just my experience

deathman53
08-03-2010, 08:01 PM
I know a guy who had one, he bought it used(previous person bought it new). He had alot of problems w/ it. It broke the frame 2-3 times, he sent it out for the updates and getting fixed. Each time the frame had to be heat treated and re-anodized. The last time it broke, he gave it away to a local machine shop, that guy fixed it and re-sold it. About 1 year later the same guy comes in and is *****ing about how this frame broke in several places. Maybe this was one example, but it stuck w/ me.

hondamancbr03
08-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
I know a guy who had one, he bought it used(previous person bought it new). He had alot of problems w/ it. It broke the frame 2-3 times, he sent it out for the updates and getting fixed. Each time the frame had to be heat treated and re-anodized. The last time it broke, he gave it away to a local machine shop, that guy fixed it and re-sold it. About 1 year later the same guy comes in and is *****ing about how this frame broke in several places. Maybe this was one example, but it stuck w/ me.

For every good story there has to be a bad story....Shall we discuss the breakage of the stock frames which is by far more common than ANY aftermarket frame? There is a Roll design frame on eBay right now that has several spots welded from breakage.

I always like the story's that start "I know a guy"

deathman53
08-03-2010, 08:42 PM
your right, there always is the bad example. I broke 2 stock atc250r frames, one really bad. One stock trx250r frame(enough to get rid of it) and another stock frame(I had it fixed immediately and no more breaks since). I have an aftermarket framed hybrid and cracked the swingarm, I broke 2 stock swingarms, also broke a atc200x frame. Everything breaks/cracks, even the custom made frame atc250r will crack eventually. My hybrid frame might already have some cracks in it, doubt it, but could. Its metal and it get weaker, stretches, flexes and gets weaker whenever its re-welded on. How old it is, type of metal, thickness of metal and type/how often of welding play a huge part in how the frame lasts. My friend's lrd 250r frame, had alot of problems, he couldn't deal w/ it anymore. Maybe he got a bad frame or poorly welded frame? This is the only first hand thing with a lrd frame I seen w/ my own eyes. I don't trust others stories that much, as there is alot of factors.

hondamancbr03
08-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Without question all frames can or have their weakness....After researching my LRD frame the week after i purchased the bike, i decided i was going to keep the frame since it's only a dune machine, if it was a trail or track bike i would have sold the frame to someone that would appreciate the weight and look and know it's limits.

I consided selling it but I have to say, after riding it for a season I have never rode a bike that felt so perfect, that being the frame or not i didn't want to mess with a good setup.

By the looks of the amount of frames you have broken, i would guess your life is spent riding in the dirt.

deathman53
08-04-2010, 07:29 AM
yeah, I go riding alot and ride hard. Lets be honest, was a atc or trx 250r desgned for mx of today????? I don't think honda in their wildest dreams thought of them being the race bike until 05. BTW, that guy with the LRD frame, got a lsr ~02 frame and cracked it also, maybe its how he rides? or shock setup?

Black Sheep
08-04-2010, 07:38 AM
90% of the time a frame breaks it is not the frames fault. Too many people worry about engines, graphics, bling parts, and never focus there attention to what matters the most...SUSPENSION!!! Even those who shell out the money for suspension very few of them maintain it. Suspension fluid should be replaced every 20 hrs of ride time...how many actually do that.

hondamancbr03
08-04-2010, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
90% of the time a frame breaks it is not the frames fault. Too many people worry about engines, graphics, bling parts, and never focus there attention to what matters the most...SUSPENSION!!! Even those who shell out the money for suspension very few of them maintain it. Suspension fluid should be replaced every 20 hrs of ride time...how many actually do that.

I completely agree! I don't think my alumn frame would last one season on stock suspension. But i also feel the stock Honda frame was badly designed around the motor mount areas. When a stock motor and average riding can break the motor mounts i would call that a bad design in my opinion.

1985ATC250R#155
08-08-2010, 11:03 PM
I have a new lrd and nice used frame. Years ago you could purchase a new frame for around $2400.

hondamancbr03
08-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Are you selling either of those frames?

croat1
08-09-2010, 10:21 AM
^^^^also interested if you are selling^^^^

1985ATC250R#155
08-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Make me an offer.

hondamancbr03
08-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by 1985ATC250R#155
Make me an offer.

Are both frames for sale? What designs are they? I'm told LRD made two designs possibly three. What's the condition of the used one?

Thanks

rayman375
08-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Those LRD frames are badass, do you have a headstay for both?

hondamancbr03
08-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by rayman375

I currently have an LRD frame which i think is the best frame i've owned (And i want another!)...The headstay is the weak/cheap part of the frame. I took mine to a machine shop and had additional support added.

1985ATC250R#155
08-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by rayman375

Yes Sir, both have headstays and brake lever mounts. The used frame has been a duner only, the underside is immaculate, no rash, dings, dents or cracks.

hondamancbr03
08-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Yes Sir, both have headstays and brake lever mounts. The used frame has been a duner only, the underside is immaculate, no rash, dings, dents or cracks.

Sent you a PM.....Thanks

imprezkid
08-10-2010, 10:02 AM
What do people do to update these frames, as in what support is added?

hondamancbr03
08-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by imprezkid
What do people do to update these frames, as in what support is added?

The only support i needed to add was at the headstay, the rest of the frame is a great frame in my opinion. As with everything else you will find people on here that are not fans of the LRD frames.

The headstay has two small ribs that come off the main tube, those small ribs will break over time so i took care of it before that happened.

kt23
08-10-2010, 02:19 PM
call Jimmy at T@T Motorsports 502-348-4847 he has one still in the box. He also has a slick LRD frammed 400EX

1985ATC250R#155
08-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Sorry I didnt see the post earlier about the frame styles. LRD produced a no-link and a standard link. Mine are both standard link, which allows for the aluminum 88-89 swingarm. The dune version had all unnessary brackets removed, which from what Ive seen only applied to the subframe. No coolant reserve mounts or airbox mounting studs.
The updated frames had improved footpeg mounts.

imprezkid
08-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Do you have pictures of your stregthened headstay.

Also anybody have comparison pictures of the link vs no link frames?

hondamancbr03
08-11-2010, 11:46 AM
I can post a picture, it will be a couple weeks....I store my bikes at the coast so i'll take a picture on my next riding trip.

1985ATC250R#155
08-11-2010, 01:17 PM
no-link version although the factory Pro-link bracket is present. Notice the raised upper shock mount location that reinforced considerably more than the standard link frame.

1985ATC250R#155
08-11-2010, 01:32 PM
standard link frame

imprezkid
08-11-2010, 01:36 PM
I know this isn't for this thread specifically, but can you run a no linked frame, is that what the cr500 setup is?

1985ATC250R#155
08-11-2010, 02:13 PM
No-link the lower shock mount is bolted directly to the swingarm. Cr500 uses the cr500 dirtbike shock and linkages, laeger uses alot of these. I can grab you a pic of my laeger protrax banshee that uses a CR500 and a picture of my lonestar chassis that uses the no-link. Standard link is just like your factory 250r setup.

SilverLake250R
08-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by imprezkid
I know this isn't for this thread specifically, but can you run a no linked frame, is that what the cr500 setup is?

A CR 500 link is a different frame altogether. It is an offset linkage from a bike and uses a special shock.

No-link frames must be used with no-link swingarms, and the upper shock mount is moved up and back from the stock position. This allows the use of a ~17.5" shock. However, no link swingarms can be used with stock-link frames as well, but a shorter (~15.5") shock must be used. This works very well in my experience- not even a comparison to stock. I run a stock frame and a Roll Design no-link swingarm. The limitation to doing this is the strength of the frame by the upper shock mount. No-link shocks use a main spring around 150lbs heavier than stock-link shocks, and even by doing this simple comparison you can see that there is much more stress on the frame in a no-link configuration. That being said, I did not put extra gusseting on my stock frame, and have had no problems so far, but Doug Roll did tell me to keep an eye on it and he did not recommend it for riders over 220lbs or swingarms over 88-89 length.

imprezkid
08-11-2010, 02:27 PM
I have an old lrd aluminum that was used for xc, im just trying to find out exactly what i have(could just send in the vin i guess), but now i know its a link'd frame, as it does have the cross member on the upper front for the subframe, and the shock mount seems to be lower than that in the picture above, i am not sure what he was running for the rear swinger yet, but the rear shock was 16" i know

hotrodlincoln
10-27-2010, 06:35 AM
Would anyone on this subject line like to sell one of the LRD frames? thanks < Jon

ARC_89TRX250R
10-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Whats one of these frames weight?

anyone got a scale near theirs...
:blah:

Just curious as to the actual weight savings from one...

1985ATC250R#155
10-27-2010, 06:21 PM
I have a new frame, standard link. Make me an offer. They weigh 31 pounds w/ headstay.

hotrodlincoln
10-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Can you PM me with your cell ? I tried your mail box and it's full-

Thanks! Jon

1985ATC250R#155
10-27-2010, 06:27 PM
emptied mailbox

10-27-2010, 08:20 PM
I have a new frame, standard link. Make me an offer. They weight 31 pounds.

Hhmmm.....that's interesting, although that's about what I figured they would weigh. The tubing is so freakin huge on the aluminum frames I knew they couldn't be that much lighter.

I'm not sure what a stock frame weighs, but I weighed my Walsh narrow front CR500 rear pro peg frame and it's only a few pounds heavier than that.

I would still love to have an aluminum frame!

Honda 250r 001
10-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by 8686
Hhmmm.....that's interesting, although that's about what I figured they would weigh. The tubing is so freakin huge on the aluminum frames I knew they couldn't be that much lighter.

I'm not sure what a stock frame weighs, but I weighed my Walsh narrow front CR500 rear pro peg frame and it's only a few pounds heavier than that.

I would still love to have an aluminum frame!

I weighed my stock frame and it was 38 pounds. It was an 86 frame with no gusseting.