PDA

View Full Version : wtf does this mean!? crank bearing replacement?

nskukalek79
08-02-2010, 08:52 PM
i have 8.5 hours on my motor after rebuilding the top end, however the bottom end is a stock 04 untouched....i just changed my oil and there are excessive amounts of aluminum shaving in the filter :(

Should i just stop running her and start the build of a new crank and bearings?

Any info will be very helpful

nskukalek79
08-02-2010, 08:53 PM
here's another picture

DnB_racing
08-03-2010, 02:53 AM
STOP RUNNING if you keep running it you can ruin the cases, top end basically the whole motor!!! dont run anymore!! change out bearings and new seals the crank might still be good you can spec it out but personally I would replace the crank and bearings it shouldn't cost more than 500 with all gaskets seals bearings and crank shaft new plug and oil.

are you sure that its aluminum and not metal the bearings are steel and can be picked up with magnet, if its not steel it might be something else

antwanrttg
08-03-2010, 06:50 AM
What color are the shavings? I just did this EXACT thing about a month ago. Like said above DO NOT RUN this quad until you split the cases and get to the bottom of this.

My experience: I had what looks to be about the same amount of shavings that you have, except mine were "gold" or brass colored. Which is what the thrust washers/bearings for the main rod are made from. So, if yours are aluminum in color, hopefully that is not what you are dealing with.

Either way, replacing a crank/bearings is definitely going to be cheaper than a new set of cases AND new crank/bearings.

Keep us posted.

Baileygunns
08-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Is this the first oil change since the new top end? Some shavings are normal after a top end rebuild... What you have seems like a lot to me but it could be that whoever cut your seats didn't clean the head out all the way.

If you can pick those up with a magnet you have bearing issues and need to open up the bottom end. If they are aluminum I would change the oil and see if any more appear. If no more show up I would run it... JMO

nskukalek79
08-03-2010, 09:37 AM
They look just like aluminum shaving to me but i'm not positive. I still have that strip out in my garage so i'll run a magnet over it and see if it picks up any shavings. And this is my 3rd oil change since i freshened her up. i was hoping to wait until winter to replace the crank and bearings but i don't want to risk it. If it is all aluminum maybe it's just something top end. But i think there are a lot more than normal for wearing in.

Baileygunns
08-03-2010, 09:55 AM
If that is your 3rd oil change since rebuild you have some issues... Start at the top where the last bit of work was done and work your way down. If you pick those shavings up with a magnet you can be pretty safe in betting a bottom end rebuild is in order...

Don't run it anymore.

Ruf Racing
08-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Baileygunns
If that is your 3rd oil change since rebuild you have some issues... Start at the top where the last bit of work was done and work your way down. If you pick those shavings up with a magnet you can be pretty safe in betting a bottom end rebuild is in order...

Don't run it anymore.

^^ Agreed ^^

fastredrider44
08-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Ruf Racing
^^ Agreed ^^

x2. Something is def. wrong.

hondaracer_34
08-03-2010, 01:48 PM
There are 2 aluminum washers on the crank that hold the crank weights.

STOP RUNNING it like other said, the only time the shavings show is when the washers start to get eatin up and then the bearings go out.

We are in the process of re-doing my friend 05 bottom end, but he didnt catch his in time and it destroyed the whole motor. So goodluck. Looks like you caught yours in time.

nskukalek79
08-03-2010, 03:54 PM
The shavings are definitely aluminum, i guess i'll just start the tear down and find where the problem is. i'm just a little intimidated because i've never done anything to the bottom end...just the top end.

Baileygunns
08-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Do you have a manual?

04/05 service manual (http://outboundlink.me/anxo/dr_ta_1/goto.php?DR_id=366&linkout=http%3A//www.4shared.com/file/1Va96fLz/450r_manual.html)

lilguy450
08-03-2010, 05:51 PM
the bottom end wont be too hard if you have the proper tools and the service manuel you should be fine im gonna be doing mine for the first time in october...i priced everything and service honda seems to be the chaepest place to buy oem parts....it came out to just under 400.00 so its not too bad....

how many hours did you have on the bottom end total?
what type of mods were done to the top end?

nskukalek79
08-04-2010, 08:29 AM
i do have a manual and i dont have any idea how many hours it has total. i got it used so i just dont know. i have a hot cams stage 2 cam 11.5:1 compression piston 1mm over exhaust valves and head porting.

do i need to buy an aftermarket crank or is the stock one fine?

DnB_racing
08-04-2010, 08:33 AM
as far as crank replacement I like oem but there isnt any thing wrong with a hot crank, but depending on what type of riding you do you might consider a stroke crank

hondaracer_34
08-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Since your going to tear it down, you might as well put an aftermarket crank in it. The stock one is fine though.

If your doing the tear down yourself, just be patient with it. Take a weekend off and make that time for the tear down, have no distractions, keep everything in order, go through all the bearings and what not, and you will be fine bro. Good luck.

DnB_racing
08-04-2010, 02:55 PM
if your doing yourself make sure you have all parts for job before taking it apart, its better to not have all the parts on your bench waiting for a seal or gasket, do it all at one time less chance of mistake or loosing or forgetting something. there isn't any benefit to an aftermarket crank as compared to oem unless you are upgrading to a balanced and expensive crank.Ive had better results with oem (to me they run smother) they seemed to be balanced a little better, and oem is about the same price as an h/c

nskukalek79
08-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Ill probably stick with the oem crank, i thought the crank was the problem that lead to bearing failure. I'm still not sure what i need to buy to fix whatever is going on in the motor, maybe just bearings and seals? If the oem crank is good then i don't see why i can't just keep using the one i have now since there is no damage to the motor.

Thanks for all the replies and help! I feel a little better doing this with some input from you guys

DnB_racing
08-05-2010, 05:05 AM
if your going to reuse your old crank just make sure to inspect REAL good page 12-7 in the service manual shows the specs. if the bearings were bad for a while the crank could be out of balance and if so you will be doing this again soon! if your motor had any vibrations before problem, then you should replace crank!!If it was me Id replase the crank, if its an04 or 05 then there is alot of hours on the rod not to mention the filings that got in there from bearing!!spend a little more now and you will never worry about it again, or save a litte and take the chance!!its up to you

nskukalek79
08-05-2010, 11:10 AM
I would love to have a hot rods crank but i hear their bearings are bad. Maybe i'll buy their crank and use oem bearings.

MR4Engine202
08-05-2010, 02:27 PM
its not the crank bearings that hot rods gives u that re junk its the rod bearing....there cranks in my opinion are not that great there unbalanced most of the time and cause the main bearings to go