View Full Version : Bearing carrier question

Lquad71
08-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Ive searched on this site and couldnt find anything on how to remove the bearing out of a stock bearing carrier. If u could giv me steps on how to that would be great.

Baileygunns
08-03-2010, 05:08 AM
First put you new bearings in the freezer for a couple hours.

Pull the rubber seals out of both sides. Put the carrier in a gas grill and heat it up... 250ish deg should be fine maybe a little warmer… (make sure you grab the carrier with welding gloves or some sort of oven mitt, even a rag folded up a few times so you don’t burn yourself.)

Put a piece of wood (2x4, plywood, whatever) on the ground to protect the carrier and slam it down on one end. This will force the bearing to start coming out. It will take a few good whacks.

Once the bearing are moved to the edge of the carrier the sleeve in the middle should be loose. Shake the carrier so the sleeve acts like a hammer and taps the bearings the rest of the way out.

Flip the carrier and whack it on the piece of wood for the other side. Use the same method with the sleeve on the inside to tap the bearings the rest of the way out.

If the carrier has cooled off, warm it back up. Take the bearings out of the freezer and they should drop right in. You might have to lightly tap them in but if the carrier is warm enough and the bearings are cold enough they should drop right in. Let the carrier cool completely and put the new seals in...

Done.

Baileygunns
08-03-2010, 07:28 AM
The longest part of the process was waiting for the grill to warm up. It takes about a minute to shake the bearings out. Plus they drop right back in instead of hitting them in with a punch or socket and risking damage to the new bearings... Also depending on how worn the old bearings are you risk knocking the center out and leaving the race in the carrier... That ends up being more of a pain in the *****.

Whatever works for you I guess...

fastredrider44
08-03-2010, 12:40 PM
I have replaced a lot of bearings and I wont change another set without heating the carrier in some form.

Baileygunns
08-03-2010, 01:34 PM
No one questioned your mechanical ability... I've been around this stuff quiet some time myself. You prefer not to heat stuff more than you have to and I prefer not to hit stuff more than I have to... There's more than one way to skin a cat that's all.

Bottom line, either way will work.

airmobile101
08-04-2010, 07:26 AM
BFH and a brass drift :D

450R NOOB
08-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Well I cracked my carrier while trying to hammer them out and only noticed after I heated it and got them out. Going through water and mud almost everyday for a year really made them stick.

jjm400ex
08-04-2010, 08:26 PM
i cracked my carrier the first time i tried to swap bearings

fatboy666
08-07-2010, 11:16 PM
my bearings are finally about shot. not even gonna bother staying with the junk sealed oem bearings. i bought a new rad carrier with tappered bearings on ebay for 200.

they are much easier. they hold grease better then those giant junk skateboard bearings they put in there.

DnB_racing
08-08-2010, 03:38 AM
I definitely prefer using heat when ever I can. as long as you dont cherry the metal it wont affect the temper of the steel at all, much better than hammering and quicker in my opinion! but as stated there are many was to do things, I just dont think a hammer should be first choice of tools for any mechanic.but a BFH definitely works. lol

airmobile101
08-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Honestly, I use heat and cold method. And I will be the first one to toss a carrier in a freezer before heating it. Those bearings with shrink up faster since it made of thinner metal than the actual carrier itself. And usually when I pull it out, I will hurry into the garage and lightly tap them out if they havent fell out already. Granted, heat may be required if the stuff is rusted in there. IMO

DnB_racing
08-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by airmobile101
Honestly, I use heat and cold method. And I will be the first one to toss a carrier in a freezer before heating it. Those bearings with shrink up faster since it made of thinner metal than the actual carrier itself. And usually when I pull it out, I will hurry into the garage and lightly tap them out if they havent fell out already. Granted, heat may be required if the stuff is rusted in there. IMO aaahha I know you still pick up the BFH first com-on and admit it!!!

D Bergstrom
08-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Never had any luck with the hammer and drift method. With the sleeve between the bearings it is difficult to catch the edge of the bearing. I remember it would take me forever to finally get the bearing to move enough to move the sleeve over to really get at the bearing.

Started heating the carrier up a couple of years ago. I put my bearing carriers in the toaster oven, 200 degrees for 5 or 10 minutes does the trick. The bearings just about fall out then. If you have your new bearing ready to go, you can get them installed before the carrier cools down also. Never had a problem doing it this way, and my race quad gets new bearings once or twice a year. I will never go back to just using a hammer and drift, a little heat is the only way for me.

Doug

airmobile101
08-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
aaahha I know you still pick up the BFH first com-on and admit it!!!
LOL!!!!!!!!! You better believe it!

DnB_racing
08-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Its never been to hard, just part of working on older machines that sometimes haven't been well maintained. Not my quads but customers sometimes just dont relize the importance of washing and lubing!

bean2080
08-09-2010, 07:58 AM
i changed the ones in my 08 450 the other day. i put the carrier on the grill for about 3 min and took it out and the bearings came out very easy with a couple hits with a hammer.

made a costly mistake though, when i took my axle out i put the castle nut on the end of the axle to hit on and after hitting on it a while i realized that after hitting it a couple times the castle nut threaded on some more which made it so i was hitting the acual axle and not the nut, now i have a musroomed end on my axle with messed up threads :(

Black Sheep
08-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
I definitely prefer using heat when ever I can. as long as you dont cherry the metal it wont affect the temper of the steel at all,...

You must work on some very old machines, steel carrier :confused:

DnB_racing
08-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
You must work on some very old machines, steel carrier :confused:

hahahaah,,,, you know no what I mean!! next time Ill be more technically correct, actuall I was hoping you didnt notice that... lol

airmobile101
08-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
That's why I previously mentioned my experience. In all my years never had a problem. When i worked in a dealership I saw a lot of trashed machines. I see why some people are cracking there carriers though...BFH...lol...try SFH next time.
Nope, if the BFH doesn't do it, then time to break out the blue flamed wrench:D