PDA

View Full Version : LTR - cased a jump, blew a cloud of white smoke

Jim417mx
08-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Ok so if anybody was at redbud, you may have seen this.. I was racing production A class on sunday.. I believe it was the 1st or 2nd lap, I went for the rockstar table, ( note my engine is 100% stock besides exhaust and cherry bomb) But I came up about 3 feet short and when I cased it I hit hard, and the quad started bogging down like the airbox boot came off or something, and a HUGE cloud of white smoke came out my exhaust .. I pulled over and checked everything and didnt find a problem so I kept going and it was fine, but it kinda misses on the top end after it gets hot... time for a rebuild? But what caused the smoke? and it doesnt smoke at all.. ever.. only this one time, and it was a CLOUD,

fmftrx300ex
08-07-2010, 11:49 AM
did it stall as soon as you hit? and was it hard to start right after. one thing i can think is if it was mid stroke reved and just got stopped itcould have been unburnt comustion gases ? thts just weird tho iv never heard of tht with out catastrify

motomxman450
08-08-2010, 01:44 AM
You have a black ltr?

Jim417mx
08-12-2010, 06:42 AM
Nah its white, ... yea it happened as soon as I hit the ground, It didnt die but I was hitting the gas and it was acting like it was flooded or wasnt getting air and wouldnt rev up, I found oil in my airbox which I'm guessing is from the breather. I actually went to a practice track the weekend after and realized it was hard to start and it is now puffing more white smoke so I think its time for a top end rebuild.

DEVINF450R
08-18-2010, 05:57 AM
I have had this happen on Honda's and Kawi's when I overfilled them with oil

QuadCobbler
08-18-2010, 06:37 AM
you proby hit the ground so hard the oil was pushed out of the case breather and went back into ur intake. I would check to see if ur plug is foulded and check for any oil in the intake tube and air box

Jim417mx
08-24-2010, 01:18 PM
turns out i broke a ring on my piston... now i finished rebuilding it and now i have idle problems, I posted in the ltr450 forum if anybody has any idle help, ive tried everything.

maxamillion
09-11-2010, 03:48 PM
i bet ur piston ring broke because ur nikasil coating on the cylinder is worn out. its a common problem on the ltrs for them to wear through at the top of the cylinder..then the ring catches on the bare aluminum and it breaks the ring. if you havent already def check into that.

as far as the idle problem make sure you valves are sealing and that they have the correct clearance