PDA

View Full Version : another r in the stable

croat1
08-02-2010, 10:33 AM
sorry guys i went to other side. not forever.

2 weeks ago we were getting ready to go to hatfield mccoy trails. took thurs off to work on "old reliable". it is a klemm piped 87. would not start. ran fine 3 weeks before. found out i stuck a ring. now i'm pressed for time. went out and got a 88 motor to run pulled the 87 motor and put in the 88 motor. guess what happened....the motor would not fire. wtf!!! just ran 2 hours ago. pressed for time and not wanting to borrow anyones bike i went out and bought a 08 450er of the showroom floor. brought it home started to break it in. changed the oils and filter and took off to west virginia. put 100 easy miles on it.

will i replace my 250R's......NO!!!!!!
do i like it?....YES. nice woods bike. i think it is a nice addition. not going to touch it except put gas in it and ride. after all it is a honda

now i can really concentrate on restoring the 87 and finally getting back to the laeger build.

SilverLake250R
08-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Nice. I like the white ones- very sharp. I did almost the same thing about a month ago, but I bought a bone stock low-hour 07, the black/red frame one. So far, I agree, it is nice in the woods and trails, less shifting and much better gas mileage, but I brought it up to the dunes a couple times since my 250R is apart and it sucks in the sand. It just does not have that hard 2-stroke hit and feels a lot slower, but then again, i is completely stock. I should have my 89 back together this week and hope to go back up next weekend to try out the new long-travel!

atvmxr
08-02-2010, 12:11 PM
my 450r kinda sucks in the woods, or at least tight woods. Its geared so damn tall, it stalls out very easily at low speed. I switched to a 13tooth front (14 stock) and its better, but still dies from time to time... its an 05 kicker though, may have changed up the trans or whatever in the later models...

I've got all the cheap hop up mods per the .org site, but havent put them on yet...

plus Im kinda pissed off at my 450r cause it ran over my foot yesterday... but I digress..

at least you kept it Honda!
:macho

slamdak8782
08-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Wow wish I could go do that.

troybilt
08-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Nice 450er Joe, I really liked mine! Anybody that says a 450r is crap should have they head removed from their arse... They are a nice bike and one of the best if not the best 450 out there IMO.

I'm interested in this Laeger build you mentioned, what do have in store? ...One or both Laeger frames?

C41Xracer
08-03-2010, 10:14 AM
i know all about joes laeger build, all im gonna say is its gonna be a sweet ride when complete

Ruf Racing
08-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Nice buy Joe! You buying a 450R says a lot! People need to be diverse. The 450R is a different animal, a BEAST! Enjoy!:D

croat1
08-03-2010, 11:09 AM
thanks guys for taking it easy on me. hahaha. the way i figure it this will keep my 250r's alive alot longer. most of the time i'm riding with a pack of 4 strokes anyways. usually more than half are usually 4x4's. our last riding trip to hatfield mccoy consisted of 11 riders. out of 11 riders there were 3 sport quads...my 450r, a 660 raptor and a kfx450. i took it easy on my 450. usually our rides are about 100 to 150 miles of riding if its all sport quads.

one more thing about keeping the 250r alive comment. i absolutely despise buying used parts. with the discontinuation of oem parts this was the only logically choice for me.