PDA

View Full Version : Title and project quad

4x4 AG
08-02-2010, 08:25 AM
i found a project 250r that i am thinking about picking up. they want 500$ for it. it is pretty rough and is not all original, but i thought it would be a good base for a project quad to rebuild. the engine is supposed to be good, but the wiring harnass has been cut and pulled. so i will have to rewire it. I am not sure if that is a huge deal or not. and it needs a new braking system and radiator. at least that is what they say it needs to run. So you think it is worth 500$?

Secondly, is it rare to find one of these without a title? or is is common. I have an 86 TRX that i had since a kid, and i have the title to it, but i have been the owner since new. I wouldn't buy a newer quad without a title, but this old of one i was wondering if it might be more common. Are they harder to sell later?

Thanks for the help 250r gurus.

Jonny B
08-02-2010, 09:47 AM
$500 for a mostly complete 250r seems good but beware of the cost to rebuild it with calipers, electrical, etc. You could find most of those parts mentioned for pretty cheap...Sounds like you could get real close to a running machine for around $1000. Radiators and brakes etc. are easily found on here or ebay.

Most all of these atvs sold in the 80's were sold without titles at dealerships. There were only a few states that required a title back then so its more common to find one without a title. Its always a good idea to run the vin #'s at the dmv either way. A 250r with a title could be worth more to some people because now a days some states require a title to ride it in areas...here in michigan, they are not as strict so no title is needed to get any offroad permits, we just need drivers licences to get orv sticters...

4x4 AG
08-02-2010, 10:00 AM
i think that all the brake components are there, he said the master cylinder needed rebuilding. and he has a complete wiring harnass that he is throwing in. it looks like someone elses unfinished project. mostly complete with other pieces in bags.

it is not the cleanest, but if it runs i will blow it apart and give it the proper rebuild.

i have never played with a two stroke before, so this will be something new to me.

250Renvy
08-02-2010, 10:07 AM
If you want a project to work on and know that it'll cost a lot more than just buying a running quad then I say go for it, but most $500 250R's end up needing everything and it costs way more than buying a completely redone 250R or one that is already running but needs freshening up.

4x4 AG
08-02-2010, 10:55 AM
agreed. but money is tight for making large purchases. a little here and there is usually alright.

I will also not be racing this. just riding it occasionally, and i like retro bikes.

SilverLake250R
08-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Depends on if you want it to be mint or not- I bought one for 800 bucks a few years ago and the first year, I ended up with about 3 grand in it, it was nice and everything was redone, but then a couple blown motors and it was over 5. I ended up crashing it pretty bad and buying a new frame- now I have at least 10 grand into 250R stuff....I am very happy with the outcome, but in general, buying a complete machine is cheaper.

4x4 AG
08-02-2010, 11:13 AM
No i am not going for mint, or restoring it. I would probably get it to running status and then just replace and add here and there and have it as a fun play toy. restoring this one to original type condition would take alot. I am just looking for a fun project quad.

atvmxr
08-02-2010, 12:15 PM
on you on any of the TX sites? I'm pretty sure I have talked to you a few times... anyway, TX didnt start titles until 88 and even then after they change hands a few times its not uncommon to lose them.

last year I picked up a 87 + 88 basket cases for $1600, so Id say you did pretty good for $500 bucks!

4x4 AG
08-02-2010, 01:02 PM
we bought a 86 TRX 125 when i was a kid and i still have the title to it, so i know there is a chance there is one out there. but i know that being that old it is probably gone.

what TX sites?

and yes, i wanted to pick yours up a while back, but it is just the initial out of pocket amount that is strapping me. that is why the 500$ seemed good. it would at least get me messing with something.

D Bergstrom
08-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Having a title is always prefered, but it depends on if the state were the ATV was purchased issues title's. The state I live in (Nevada) quit issuing titles to ATV's in 2003, guess they felt is was a waste. You can get one if you really want, but you have to go to the DMV and fill out a bunch of paper work, so no one does it since it is not a requirement.

Of the four quads I own, the only one I have a title for is my 250R, it came from California. Even then, since it is a 86, the vin plate is long gone along with the original motor, so there is no way for me to prove the title is for my quad. Even then, it was from the original owner in 86, so my name is not on it, nor the other previous owners. The rest of them I bought brand new. Two of them in Nevada, one in California. Even the one I bought in California I could not get a title for, since I lived in Nevada, Honda would not issue me one. Bills of sale are pretty much the norm for atv's and dirt bikes in Nevada.

Doug