PDA

View Full Version : Redbud

magna-007
08-02-2010, 06:56 AM
Went yesterday, Sunday.
That is an amazing track. We had never been there before.

magos
08-25-2010, 10:56 AM
I hear there was a benefit there on the 22nd. It would have been great to go and support the benefit.

quadscrib
08-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Hey who are you Magos? I see youre from portland but I dont remember any 250ex's, especially tricked out ones. Do I know you? Im Bryan Scribner btw

magos
08-26-2010, 06:14 AM
I just got into the sport (again) and now my son and I are going to try racing. If he likes it then we'll join AMA and try to attend the races next year. Our first race is this Saturday in Muskegon in the SJO series (fair races). I figure this will be a nice race because it's permanent and he will have a chance to be exposed to racing in a semi-tame way.

My name is Nigel Belanger and moved to Portland a few years ago. Drop me a line and maybe we can ride. Do you have kids? If so, how old are they?

quadscrib
08-26-2010, 08:35 AM
Well welcome Nigel and family! Im VERY curious to know if youre fmiliar with Portland Trail Riders( www.portlandtrailriders.com ) or not.....if not you will be quite surprised I think. WE are big quad folks at PTR.
This sept 11th and 12th will be a HUGE quad MX eventat PTR and in fact our season finally.... I strongly urge you to at least spectate (Sunday the 12th will be the "big" day). Last event a couple months ago at PTR we had well over 30 minis alone!!
Yes I have kids: Chloe 11 who doesnt race
Oliver 9 DRX70 70 production class
Violet 7 DRX50 50 limited class
Gideon LEM/CRF 50's bike 50 trail class.
Myself KTM450sx quad B class.
I meen this very respectfully but I think you will find the Dist 14 events the ones to be at. We have alot of very friendly and helpfull people and kick *** competition!!! Keep in mind we have several skill levels.
Are you on facebook? If so check me out by name as well as d14 atv racing, and Portland Trail Riders.
BTW we have all the classes that your 250x will be eligable for and some great competition. Magna007 who started this thread lives in Portland as well. I lve just east of you in Grand Ledge....you have ALOT of quad racers around here.
I hope to meet you soon. Feel free to drop me a line as well:
scribnerl@aol.com or (517) 819-5126

djdfairchild
08-26-2010, 08:38 AM
in my opinion the sjo series is no place to start a kid racing. it is anything but tame. my kids have ran 5 sjo races this year and its set my 6 yr old back alot. because the jumps are all doubles the the younger kids can't jump them without casing it into the the front side of the double. i've spent the last 8 weeks trying to get my 6 yr old to jump table tops again. For my 9 yr old it wasn't that bad he could hit some of the doubles, but just no competition for him. i think the small tracks and most of the big tracks in district 14 are way more tame than sjo series. i haven't been to bay racing but thats where the d14 riders will be sunday.i think much more fun racing than sjo. my .02 cents

magos
08-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks DJ, I appreciate the feedback and I didn't know where to start my boy out (or myself). I good friend that I work with suggested it as a place to start so I am going to give it a shot for this Saturday (atleast). The long term goal is to sign up with AMA and attend those races PLUS they are weekend races. The SJO Series has a lot of week day races and I can't attend with my work schedule.

magos
08-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the reply Bryan, I've sent you off an email. I'm really glad to know there are a lot of quad guys around - I don't know of ANY near me. My son, Nate, and I went to Ionia to their track and rode for a bit last Thursday (I had the day off). It was really fun but then the big boys showed up and it was too dangerous for him to ride so he rode the pee-wee for a bit before we split.

I have heard of the Portland Trail Riders but even though I'm really close, I can't be sure that I can spend the 65 hours on the track as they request but It would be GREAT to go. I have not problem with the membership fee but with work, hanging with the kids, side jobs, etc. We have a track in the back property that my neighbor and I share but it's small and fairly technical so that's what I have for now.

Do you guys have any hang out/ride around days scheduled? If so, I'd love to go and meet you guys. Also, my boy is on a Guy Cooper Extreme 88 Pit bike and I'm interested in seeing if he is more of a quad kid. So there may be a quad in his future - he may enjoy it much more than the dirt bike, but I want him to decide.

quadscrib
08-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Well in fact we can occasionall take a guest(s) and I could mabey even take you out there next weekend..... Between our mini track (which I operate) and our big track I think you and your kids would love it. As far as the Sept event I referred to PTR membership is not a factor for that weekend.
Within an approx 100 mile radius I would say there's 30-40 quad racing families I know of.We are thick in mid-Michigan and many of us have some deep roots in the ATV industry\community.
It's not too late to come to the Bay event though a littke further north than Muskegon. I know that's easier said than done though.
I got your email and ##. Let me know if you guys are available next saturday or sunday.
We also host Harescramble races at PTR and usually the weekend after we have a "friends and family" event called the "Dogrun" that's a for fun BS race and open ride\camp weekend
that you're welcome to attend. This will be in October.

Sounds corney but I'm excited to have someone new and you'll b excited when you see how many of us (local quad\MX riders) that there are....oh and we get it on!!

magos
08-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Next weekend is pretty busy (helping a friend move Sat & Sun) but open after that. None of that sounds corney, all I hear is that this is a nice, fun and family oriented sport with appeals. We have a hard time finding babysitters, so something that the kids can do is fun also. My 2 1/2 year old is all about machines so he's isn't far behind on riding something. We can do our best to attend the event in September atleast to watch and see what it's about - it's too close not to go! The Dogrun sounds like a really fun time too! We love to camp!

magna-007
08-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Magos,

Do you know a Jim Belanger? He lived in Portland over 10 years ago now. I used to work with Jim. He was originally from Alpena.
My name is Chad (aka Magna007). Where abouts in the Portland area are you living? North, south, east, west?

Good talkin to ya.

Chad

magos
08-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Nope, but funny you say that because I hear I have family in Alpena and Roscommon. We (or my parents) aren't close with any other Belangers so who knows!?

Good to meet you Chad - I'm on the river on the north side off Divine. How about you?

magna-007
08-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Too funny.

I live about 5 miles north of town, out Divine Hwy as well. Just north of the golf course.

See ya at the track hopefully.

Chad

magna-007
08-26-2010, 12:08 PM
You wouldnt happen to be down by Electric Park are you? Id be right up the road if you are.

magos
08-26-2010, 12:14 PM
No I'm on Maynard on the riverside just west of there. I do know the area you're at though - drive by it all the time! Small world huh?

quadscrib
08-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Well I sure don't wanna overstate it but I think you will see how small a world it is when you see one of our events. Good thing you found this forum, were all around.
Hey Chad you gonna b at Bay? I'm loading up as we speek. Were heading out tomorrow morning. Everyone says Bay is a great track. I'm sure looking forward to racin w transponders.

magos
08-26-2010, 12:56 PM
So where is this Bay race at?

Yes a friend of mine has a sweet 400ex and his son has a nice 300ex. We have been friends forever and he turned me on to the quad world and this forum. A mutual friend of ours is the one I bought this quad from. This is going to be fun for sure!

Any good ideas on quads for my 7 yr old? I think he may be more interested in that, but I'd need to have him test one out first.

quadscrib
08-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Well I can tell ya w no question a DRX70 would be the ticket or perhaps a 50 that is simple to convert when 70 time comes. My 7 yo has a 50 and my 9 yo has a 70.
Bay is in Kingsley,Mi. We have a double header weekend this sat and sun. This will be my first trip to this track and can tell ya that everyone says is the coolest track. There's gonna b alot of us there. There's a couple poeple gonna be selling their racers this fall due to there kids changing classes next season so ya might pull off a good deal. I know of a BUILT DRX70 for sale right now for a very cheap price.
Anyways lol, wether you decided to try Bay or we see ya at PTR you'll get a good idea of the different offerings for your son.
What are you riding...what class ya think?

magos
08-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Good deal! Well, where would I find one of those quads for my boy? I may do the 70 because he'll be 8 in October. If I can't buy used, I may look new - who knows.

I ride a 250x and I've never raced but feel I can ride ok. Not sure what class but it's going to be a beginner for now until I figure out where I need to go. I'm 36, so the 30 + class may be ok too. Honestly, I really have no clue. I'm a newbie :)

quadscrib
08-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Pretty sure you would wanna race the c class as the 30 plus "vet" class has a few "experianced" guys runnin in it. C is considered a beginner class.
As far as getting a DRR goes there's a local guy named Bill Hicks who can hook you up or else there's some site sponsors here such as G-force powersports. Go to the "DRR" thread under "mine atvs 90cc and under" category and you'll learn alot. There are alot of other options but MOST of us have had GREAT luck with DRR\DRX quads. I'm getting excited thinkin bout it lol.
Were loading up and hittin the road tomorrow mornin.

magos
08-27-2010, 06:07 AM
Good luck all and thanks for the info! I look forward to riding with you!

Latemodel32
08-27-2010, 07:25 AM
goto log rd next weekend fun and safe track and there will alot of Quads there

http://logroadmx.com/

http://www.greatlakesmotocross.com/

magna-007
08-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Nope, we wont be able to make the Bay race. :( Sounds like a great track too.

Thats funny, i used to live out Maynard road when i was a kid.
Another option for yourself, if your interested, is to run a utility machine. Its an interesting ride to say the least. :D
I have been seriously considering going back to a sport quad too. Im torn..:confused:

magos
08-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Funny - I just sold my Polaris Xplorer 400 for this 250x. They are fun, but I want speed and jumping abilities. Those are a bit too burly for me...

magna-007
08-27-2010, 08:34 AM
I currently ride a KFX700. Its a tank for sure. :)