PDA

View Full Version : FST oil cooler

twisted threads
02-04-2003, 06:05 AM
I know this has been on here before but I couldn't find it in the search but...... do any of you have the FST oil cooler or some kind of different oil cooler and what do you think of it. MY 440ex runs a little warm so Im going to cool it down but I dont know what im going to do yet.

y2k400ex
02-04-2003, 07:03 AM
Search FST like this: type a * before and after the three letter word like this *FST*

PHIL_B54
02-04-2003, 08:54 AM
http://65.54.246.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_lang=EN&lah=18e857de8a7880d693bda87d0f2c0065&lat=1044373908&hm___action=http%3a%2f%2fcgi%2eebay%2ecom%2febaymo tors%2fws%2feBayISAPI%2edll%3fViewItem%26amp%3bcat egory%3d34286%26amp%3bitem%3d2401682680%26amp%3brd %3d1

i purchased one of these directly from the guy, he seemed real nice to deal with, i will receive it thurs and maybe get to put it on this weekend

he was saying that it has more surface area than fst and the plate design cooler also will handle rocks and stuff better than the fin and tube type, i can let you know what i think when i get it, just pm me so i dont forget

PHIL_B54
02-04-2003, 08:55 AM
try this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34286&item=2402476180&rd=1

400grl
02-04-2003, 08:58 AM
Yah know....I ordered one of those a few months ago, and I never put it on.....I was sort of disappointed by how it was made, and by the fact that I had to drill holes in my case to install it - why don't they make it so it will go where the current lines go?

Anyway - I am going to just order a fin-style automotive oil cooler from JEGS for about $40 and replaced my current stock one.......shouldn't be hard to get it to fit......

I still have my FST one around here somewhere - i should sell it to someone cheap! :D

YZROOSTINYA
02-04-2003, 10:27 AM
400 grl-

the reason why you drill the lines is because the stock oil passage runs up the side of the cylinder internally which is good for overall prettyness but what is the biggest problem with the cylinder ? IT GETS HOT AS ****. so when you BYPASS this internal line, then run it through the cooler you are dumping COLD oil right onto the cam and rockers where it is needed the most.

I understand where you are coming from and I see your concern, but to improve the cooling this is a MUST HAVE.

I have spoke with JBIRKLID(the seller on ebay) several times and he knows whats up. actually it is the same kit FST sells for 45 dollars less. Personaly i think the cooler on ebay is better because it is more durable.

he runs a 416 and has had it on his ride for over a year with no probs.

I am with you on just going to a larger stock cooler as I ride in the woods alot and CRITICAL oil lines hanging off the side of my ride are not exactly what I am looking for. IN a MX type scenario this is ideal IMO.

I will prob rigg up my own system as the coolers run about 40 bucks and all the lines are about 10-15.

hopefully that heps explain it a little better

400grl
02-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Yeah - that helps alot....it makes sense - I'm like you, though - I can't really have any extra stuff hanging off the side......:) ;)

YZROOSTINYA
02-04-2003, 11:09 AM
I like to run over things sometimes, all I need is a ripped line in the middle of TIM-BUCK-TOO.

When I do this mod, I will most like come up with some sort of protection or guard. Or just stop runnin over stuff:confused2

PHIL_B54
02-04-2003, 12:14 PM
well do you think i should be looking for metal lines or hyd. lines to help with ripping one off?

twisted threads
02-05-2003, 03:27 AM
Phil_B54 that oil cooler looks good. The guy you got that from is he a exrider member?

YZROOSTINYA
02-05-2003, 04:08 AM
all in all, i really dont think you will have a prob, if your really scared pick up some stainless lines or stainless covers for added security. just run then as close to the frame as possible

PHIL_B54
02-05-2003, 08:52 AM
i dont know if he's a member or not i told him that if he really wanted to sell some to come in here and post a product reveiw or become a member and talk to people , but i dont know if he'll listen. just go to the ask this seller a question on the ebay page if you need to, i didnt really buy mine thru ebay, and i think he knocked off a little, if you do tell him about seeing this on Exriders, maybe he'll sponsor the site and help Ben out:D

i didnt think it would be a problem with the lines but i think your right and i should run them as close to the frame as possible

jbirklid
02-05-2003, 11:23 AM
Hey guys,

Yes, I'm a member here but I don't get on too often. First let me clear up the the inevitable question. The idea for this kit came from a kit that Dirt Mods made for the 300ex a few years back. I helped a buddy install this on his 300 and started looking at my 400 to figure out how I could add one to it. The 400 gets oiled just like the 300 except the passage runs up the cylinder rather than external tubes like the 300. A little bit of tinkering and walah, external lines that you can run whereever you choose. I know lots of people have differing opinions (not really interested in arguing with anyone but if you have a question feel free to PM me) about how to cool the EX's oil, drillin' holes, ripped off hoses, replacement stock coolers, my steering damper won't fit etc. But, in my opinion this is about the best solution out there whether you by a kit from a company or you make one yourself. I've used this kit for over a year and have not had one problem. A couple of observations/questions:

1) If something gets in to where it can rip off the oil hoses, you're probably not going to be to concerned about the hoses at that particular moment. When was the last time something got in-between your leg and your front right wheel/suspension and ripped something off your frame?!

2) Honest qestion here - From what I've read on this site, we all drill, cut, weld, bore, chop, extend, turbo charge and pretty much anything else you can possibly do to the 400 has done by many people on this site. So why is it that a couple of holes tapped into the clutch and valve "covers" seem to freak people out? I'm baffled!

Anyhow, if you're interested in putting together you're own cooler setup (even if you just need one part), PM me. I can get the parts that are required pretty reasonable and save you the footwork. Trust me, when the total is tallied up at the local parts store (if you can find all of them) it'll be more than $40.00. I'm totally cool with sponsoring this site with a portion of any proceeds that I may get as a result of posting here. BTW - I do this for fun and when I have time, (I do have a day job at the mighty Microsoft) that takes up most of my time so I'm not always the quickest to respond but I'll do my best.

Thanks,

Jason...

Jason...

brian400ex
02-05-2003, 12:15 PM
Wouldn't the oil running up the cylinder cool the engine. I thought that oil was meant to cool and lubricate.

Brian

jbirklid
02-05-2003, 01:15 PM
Good question - The passage is less than 1/4" in diameter so the answer is no, you would not get any measureable cooling of the cylinder from the oil as it makes it way up to the valvetrain.

Jason...

tek
02-05-2003, 03:20 PM
any picson were to plug after new fitting is installed

YZROOSTINYA
02-06-2003, 04:42 AM
plus it is not lubricating anything on the way up the cylinder passage, it is just a flow point.

PHIL_B54
02-06-2003, 09:02 AM
i just received the cooler and it looks pretty cool, now i just need to polish the grill.

i guess i hadnt expected the install to involve removing the clutch cover and the head cover, i should have got a cam while i was in there
his instructions look pretty good, and i am planning on taking lots of pics of the whole project.

mascman
02-06-2003, 12:39 PM
I have a kit that I sell for the Warroir. It really is amazing the questions you get. How do people expect the oil to get out of the motor and into the cooler without tapping into it? Like jbirklid, I installed this on my quad first before selling them to the public. We used our own quads as the guinnea pigs to come up with an affordable solution to a problem. At least I am assuming this as I have never talked to jbirklid. Remember this when buying one of our kits. We did the testing so you don't have too!

I will be doing this to my brother's 400ex also. An oil cooler is cheap insurance!

Good job jbirklid!