PDA

View Full Version : Holster for riding?

Newt327
08-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Anyone have any recommendations for a good holster to use to carry while riding the trails? My CC holster is nice and comfy even while riding but it does not have a thumb break or strap to secure the weapon from falling out. I’ve done some riding with it and although it hasn’t moved or fallen out yet just the thought that it could fall out makes me nervous. I have an FN-P40 so it’s a medium sized gun, not too big but certainly not a small gun.

atv fan 28
08-01-2010, 08:56 PM
If i had to carry a gun at the places i rode at, then i wouldnt even ride.

KAWIRYDER
08-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Don't come to Montana then.:D

Newt327
08-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Depends on where i'm riding, if I'm at an Off road park or something I'd have no need to carry but if i'm going out in the wilderness or the mountains somewhere hell yeah I'd want to have my gun with me.

TRX01
08-02-2010, 09:18 AM
yea, i never carry a gun on me but usually my rifle is in the truck, but you never no who could be waiting for you in the woods, and obviosky your in the woods and if you alone not armed then that person or thing could do what ever the heck the wanted

but our places is miles back off paved roads. we drive dirt roads and up the mountain to get to our hunting land where we ride

Pappy
08-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Blackwater Serpa's work well. I do not know if they make one for your handgun but I highly recommend them. Biggest issue you should watch besides loosing the weapon is damaging your kidney when and if a hard hit is taken while riding. You'd b surprised how much force can be applied when your muzzle gets shoved upward by your thigh/car seat etc when in a seated position.

DnB_racing
08-02-2010, 09:39 AM
I wish I had that much wildeness that I needed a gun!!Im luck if I dont see a cop!! Ill let him worry about carrying the gun! lol

flyboy1294
08-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Have you considered an ankle holster?

ridered11
08-02-2010, 12:15 PM
My dad uses something like this.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrh_s8YxpSAvVm3yae37LE99EPZP-ecqZ-1Vg4dgA5KsguE2s&t=1&usg=__ho0EWAhutYqzk-BFnVTFD2GGWwk=

HondaRacing83
08-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by TRX01
but you never no who could be waiting for you in the woods ya i agree,we have 25.5 acres of woods and i go back riding alone all the time,or im with my buddy but typically im back byself and i never really thought of that.i have started to wonder though cause yesterday i went back there and there were tire tracks that arnt mine,my dads,my buddys or my neighbors so idk.ive mainly been worried about getting stuck and having a bear or rabid squirrel ccome after me lol.ive only got my 400 stuck once luckily my buddy was with me so we picked it up and got it out but it kinda made me mad cuz he made it right through it with his 250ex lol,idk prob cause he has more ground clearence cuz he has the baloony tires still on it.sorry i got off topic lol

slightlybent47
08-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Ya never know, you just might ride up on someone that is doing something there not supposed to be doing and they don’t want any witnesses. i.e. drug deals, someone dumping something, illegal aliens, moon shiners, you just never know.

Newt327
08-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Blackwater Serpa's work well. I do not know if they make one for your handgun but I highly recommend them. Biggest issue you should watch besides loosing the weapon is damaging your kidney when and if a hard hit is taken while riding. You'd b surprised how much force can be applied when your muzzle gets shoved upward by your thigh/car seat etc when in a seated position.

That's a good point, I never thought about that. A gun in the Kidney would suck.

Newt327
08-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by ridered11
My dad uses something like this.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrh_s8YxpSAvVm3yae37LE99EPZP-ecqZ-1Vg4dgA5KsguE2s&t=1&usg=__ho0EWAhutYqzk-BFnVTFD2GGWwk=

I saw one like that at a local gun shop, i was considering a leg holster like that, if it stays in place pretty good. I tried one of the uncle mikes nylon belt holsters but it flopped areound too much on my belt.

HondaRacing83
08-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Ya never know, you just might ride up on someone that is doing something there not supposed to be doing and they don’t want any witnesses. i.e. drug deals, someone dumping something, illegal aliens, moon shiners, you just never know. they better not be on our property!

troyleepred719
08-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Not sure what you ride, but have you considered some sort of Lock box and keeping the holster on for when you stop?

CJM
08-02-2010, 07:08 PM
You never know what you will find, animals are one thing (bears, bobcats, etc come to mind)-but people are far more dangerous. I never go unarmed when in the woods.

TRX01
08-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Ya never know, you just might ride up on someone that is doing something there not supposed to be doing and they don’t want any witnesses. i.e. drug deals, someone dumping something, illegal aliens, moon shiners, you just never know. thats exactly it......people are ALWAYS breaking into out land, we have one gate at the entrance and another gate about half way between the entrance and our hunting trailer, its about 3/4 of a mile between the entrance and our trailer and there are always fresh dirtbike tracks and quad tracks, i always worry im gonna find someone on our land and there gonna be doing somthing bac