PDA

View Full Version : NJ vehicle inspection

deathman53
08-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Anybody understand the new rules for inspection? I drive a 97 f350 w/ 7.3 turbo diesel motor, I don't know If I need to have it inspected? the gvwr on the door is 10,000, I don't know what its registered at. The new rules have 3 different things

1: Diesel-powered, passenger motor vehicles plated as passenger, not-for-profit, governmental, commuter van, farmer or farm truck model year 1997 and newer with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) 8,500 pounds or less, five (5) model years and older, excluding buses.

2: Diesel-powered, passenger motor vehicles plated as passenger, not-for-profit, governmental, commuter van, farmer or farm truck, with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 8,501 to 9,999 pounds, regardless of model year.

3: Diesel-powered trucks plated as commercial, passenger, not-for-profit, governmental, commuter van, farmer or farm truck with a GVWR of 10,000 to 17,999 pounds (self-inspected under NJAC 13:20-26.16).

The first one needs to be inpected for emissions and it a diesel emissions test, my friend says that its only done for trucks or busses over 18,000

Number 2 and 3 don't need to be inspected and since its 10,000 gvwr, it wouldn't have to inspected, Right??

CJM
08-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Sounds like it you can self inspect-but I am not 100% sure.

I wanna know since they arent inspecting-how the heck do you inspect for lifts? They used to do special stuff, but IDK now.

PS. Im in freehold man like 10 mins from you i bet

yellowzo3
08-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Been reading about this on some other forums today. Others are confused about diesel as well.

CJM, from my understanding, they only test emissions now. They don't look at anything else on the car/truck.

BUT, you can get pulled over for having tint, lights/blinkers out, etc... So you wont fail at inspection but you'll get pulled over for it (eventually, I guess). Who knows, certain parts of it are confusing if you ask me. But it's only day 1 of this new law or whatever so maybe the state will make it clear for everyone if they get enough calls about all the confusion.

deathman53
08-01-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm gonna call an inspection station tomorrow, something tells me to scape the sticker off(or just leave the expired one on) and carry around papers regarding the new law w/ me, if I get pulled over. When I get pulled over, tell the cop I was confused about the new law(showing him the NJMVC faq and vehicle code) and nobody could explain if it needed to be inspected or not.

CJM
08-01-2010, 08:51 PM
yea I dont get it, I read the law-nada on lifts in there.

Im still not sure about the diesels, I read it 3x now and its very confusing.

deathman53, your title will tell you what weight its registered at.

deathman53
08-01-2010, 09:01 PM
it shows a weight class of 05000, my other truck, nission frontier has this, so does my brothers toyota tacoma. My mom's 2 cars have a weight class of 7. I've been pulled over several times and nobody has questioned the weight, even w/ towing a 7500LB trailer. Maybe that weight class is for a wide range. My trailer has a weight class of 07000, but its max weight is 7500. My motorcycles don't even have a weight class on the titles.

CJM
08-01-2010, 09:21 PM
legally your supposed to register it for the weight class your gonna use it as.

IE: my 94 HD F250 is actually like GVWR 9000lbs but I have it registered at the minimum 5000lbs. the only difference is A) either you get a really bad cop who knows his/her stuff and somehow finds this out) or B) the DOT gets you (both unlikely.

but registering at the lowest weight may have issues with the inspection, IDK. i think that since no one can explain it properly (cops, DMV, etc) more than likely your fine if you register it 10,0001 to bypass the inspection law. I registered mine that low cause its cheaper to insure and register every year.

heres the info from the manual http://www.njrec.org/Downloads/newmanualallsections.pdf
Diesel Self-Inspection Requirements Diesel vehicles 10,000 lbs and up to 17,999 lbs require a self-inspection and should not be inspected by a Private Inspection Facility. Diesel vehicles with a GVWR of 18,000 pounds or more must have a periodic emissions test performed at a Licensed Diesel Emission Inspection Center (DEIC). For DEIC locations, call 1-888-486-3339. Owners and Lessees shall maintain records that include at a minimum, the following: 1. An identification of the vehicle including New Jersey registration number, make, model, serial number, number of tires and their size and ply. 2. A record of inspection and repairs indicating date and nature. 3. A lubrication record. 4. A systematic means for indicating each vehicle, the nature and due date of various inspection and maintenance operations to be performed. 5. If leased or otherwise contracted for, such records shall also include an identification of the lessor or contractor furnishing the vehicle. Any report or record of inspection shall be maintained for a period of 24 months by the owner or lessee and be available upon request of the Commission or its agents authorized to inspect. Required inspection items to be inspected and maintained at least every three (3) months are: 1. All brake lines and linings 2. Drive lines 3. Coupling devices 4. Tires, wheels and flaps 5. Springs 6. Emergency equipment 7. Fuel system 8. Cooling system 9. Lighting devices, horns and mirrors 10. Transmission system 11. Steering equipment 12. Axles and tie-rod assemblies 13. Clutch 14. Exhaust system and exhaust emissions 15. Glazing and wipers

deathman53
08-02-2010, 08:47 AM
I went there today and the guy looked at the truck, then the sticker on the door and told me to get out of here, you don't need to inspect it. Now my other truck needs to get inspected in sept. and it has the check engine light on(something with a speed sensor).

JForestZ34
08-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Being they are doing away with the safety inspection, I would keep on top of everything then.. If your found negligent of improper maintenance and have and accident they could blame the safety aspect of it on you.. That puts a lot of worry in my mind to make sure everything is good..

James

sunco
08-04-2010, 07:29 AM
mines a 2000 7.3, I think they should have left things the way they were. I don't use the inspection station as my mechanic, but sure is nice to know they might see something that needs fixing. Looked at a new diesel dually at the fair last nite. sweet looking truck. the dealer pretty much wants sticker - 62 grand - no friggin way - don't think I'll ever buy new again.