PDA

View Full Version : Problem With Slipper Sprocket

rummel
08-01-2010, 11:29 AM
JUST WANTING SOME INPUT ON THIS SLIPPER SPROCKET I HAVE AND THE PROBLEM WE ENCOUNTERED. SO WE PUT A SLIPPER ON THIS SEASON AND RAN 5 RACES WITH THE SAME DISC WHEN ON THE LAST RACE WE ALMOST GOT DNF BECAUSE THIS STUPID DISC COMPRESSED SO MUCH THAT IT STOPPED ENGAGING THE SPROCKET. ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM. WE JUST REMOVED IT BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO RUN THE RISK AGAIN OF THIS STUPID THING HAPPENING. WE TORQUED THE SPROCKET TO 100LBS EVERY RACE. NEED SOME INPUT BECUASE NOW IM SKEPTICAL ON THIS SO CALLED SLIPPER SPROCKET

Coley'sdad#8
08-01-2010, 01:07 PM
give us more info on the "stupid disc" I dont understand how it compressed too much and quit engaging. mic the thickness of the fibre, it should be about 2mm with wear and 3mm new.
take the nut off and clean the threads ALL THE WAY down, apply anti seize to threads and then torque. I think you had corrosion on the threads not letting the nut go to torquing the disc.

rummel
08-01-2010, 01:16 PM
I PUT ANTI-SIEZE ON WHEN I INITIALY INSTALLED. I MUST OF HAD A BAD DISC BECUSE EVEN THE WASHER IS DOME SHAPED FROM TIGHTENING TO 100LBS. IT LASTED 5 RACES AND SOME PRACTICES BEFORE IS STOPPED ENGAGING. THE DISC IS COMPRESSED INTO THE BACK PART OF THE SLIPPER. ILL HAVE CUT THE DISC OUT JUST TO REPLACE. I GUESS IT DOESNT MATTER BECAUSE WERE NOT RUNNING WITH IT ANYMORE.

Coley'sdad#8
08-01-2010, 01:24 PM
the washer is a spring steel convex tension control washer it is supposed to be shaped like that. This is the washer under the nut correct??????
the discs are supposed to be recessed into the inner and outer face of the sprocket.

gorpracing
08-01-2010, 01:28 PM
We have always run ours at 110lbs. He has not wasted one this season in the worcs races. 7 races and some practice. Make sure the sprocket and washers are not getting mushroomed. Be sure not to loose a tranny by not running the slipper. Good luck.

rummel
08-01-2010, 01:29 PM
THE WASHER DID MUSHROOM WHAT DO I DO ABOUT THAT JUST KEEP REPLACING THEM OR IS THERE A HARDENED ONE THAT WONT BEND

gorpracing
08-01-2010, 03:03 PM
There is a up grade one from Apex or one of the other distribritors. I took a die grinder and cleaned up the edge and reused it. Make sure you check the way the disc sits so it is flat with no edges. You can also scuff the surface so it will help it grip better. Like 80 grit or so.

Logan #34's Dad
08-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Hello Rummel, Your problem is wear. The disks will not last forever AND the more power your engine is making the less time the disks will last (do to slippage). As far as the washer thing, it is supposed to be domed, thats what creates the pressure, as you tighten the nut it squishes the washer and creates the pressure. The type of washer is called a belleville spring washer.
Also, I highly recommend you ALL just replace your entire sprocket assembly once that one is worn out. The replacement disks are NO GOOD. They are a different material than what originally come on the slipper. Trust me - we have lost quite a few national races because of these replacement disks. Since we are on the DRR section I assume your all using the 19 tooth DRR Slipper sprocket. I cannot speak for the APEX 20 tooth disks.

kfx450
08-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Did you ever have the washer all the way off before as it almost sounds like it may have been put on backwards which would make it look like the nut bent the washer. This would also explain why the sliper sprocket was not working properly.

quadscrib
08-02-2010, 11:26 AM
I bet $$ youre right KFX450....... (small $$) lol

Ryko racing
08-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Call Paul Marra, he makes a very high quality slipper sprocket and disc that seem to last . 609-387-3060 wiley mods paul marra

He can fix your problem correctly and is a good guy to talk with.

tyler70t
08-02-2010, 03:10 PM
I agree with KFX 450, sounds exactly right and RYKO as well we run a Wiley Slipper and are very happy with Paul's product........just my .02 ( when your kid races a mini quad that's about all you have!!)

#404's Dad
08-02-2010, 03:46 PM
We run our Slipper Clutches and do not have to deal with all this crap, seen a kid a couple weeks ago that couldn't climb a hill on his Apex 90 w/ a DRR 19 tooth slipper due to the slipper sprocket slipping that bad and then another this past weekend weekend that wouldn't pull itself due to the slipper sprocket slipping............

bulldogfallon
08-04-2010, 10:16 PM
We use the DRR slipper with hardly any issues....2Fast and Malossi Big Bore etc...

If Dusenberry runs one and it works then I would bet most the country could use the same set up w/o any issues

His bikes have tons of power....so if he can live with them you can too...

We also sell the heck out of the Wiley Mods sprockets....We keep the 19T and 20T in stock at all times due to the high demand.

To be fair we have heard loyal customer stories to back up the DRR, Apex and Wiley Sprocket....and also heard positives and negatives to slipper clutches.....so it leads me to believe that some is design, some is application and some is user inflicted.