PDA

View Full Version : compression

wyattearp29
08-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Will 80 psi still let you machine fire. Our lt80 will not even run. So I am checking every thing. It seams like maybe it might be a spark problem ,since I can't seam to see any. The carb should be clean I took it off when I replace the stater and cleaned it. Do the coils go bad or could it be the stator.

LT80
08-01-2010, 01:42 PM
80 isn't enough. Wayyy low.
I'm thinking that I'd look into that (maybe a head gasket?) and get the comp porblem fixxed before buying anything.
I thought that you just freshened the top not long ago????

wyattearp29
08-01-2010, 03:51 PM
All I did was put one of your modified heads on because the other head had bad spark plug threads. I have owned three different lt80's so maybe that is why you thought I freshened it up. The last time I went to have one bored out it was hard to find a machine shop to bore it out because it was so small. I agree the compression is low but why can't I see my spark. Could my coil be bad? I will dig into it a little deeper when I get time.

LT80
08-01-2010, 04:45 PM
It could be bad.
I agree, you should be able to see the spark.
You can check the coil and stator w/ohm meter.
Stator should be around 180.
Sorry, I don't know what the coil should read.:(

wyattearp29
08-02-2010, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the info. I will check that with my ohm meter. Also can you just buy a new boot for the coil because mine seem really loose.

wyattearp29
08-03-2010, 03:41 PM
So i ohm the coil and it is good but I still got no spark. Maybe the coil or the kill switch is bad.

wyattearp29
08-03-2010, 05:37 PM
I ended up getting spark. I guess I wasn't grounding it good enough. I also went through the carb and it still won't start. So I tore it down so I can rebuild it. The piston looks real good and so do the rings. The cylinder also looks good.

wyattearp29
08-03-2010, 06:24 PM
So I got the piston out and clean up. It is A wiseco 51.00 mm. The people before me must of had it bored 1 over. So I guess my question is can I go anymore. on the bore or do I start over. Also my spark is very weak . My stator ohms out at 180 and I had resistance through the coil. Why is the 88 coil different than the newer quads.

LT80
08-04-2010, 07:09 AM
Yes, you can go bigger. 1.5 and 2.0
I hear they make a 1.25 but i've not had one.
The diff is that the old ones were just a coil. Now they have a coil and another part (that the name evades me at the moment).
I liked the old ones.

wyattearp29
08-04-2010, 01:28 PM
So if I unscrew the boot assembly off the coil wire. I can get spark. So could my boot just be bad. Have you ever had that happen. Can you just put a car wire on it?

LT80
08-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Yes you can put another wire on it.
And yes also to the boot (end) being bad.
I get a Arctic Cat NGK end for them. They stay on well.

wyattearp29
08-12-2010, 08:31 PM
So, I am leaning towards the stator. I ohm just the red and white and I get nothing. The other wire I get like 175. So I pulled the fly wheel off and I think I found the problem. There was a nut stuck in the fly wheel. This I beileve took out the lower white coil. It has some damage. Also I get no ohm reading off of it. So on the microfich it calls that coil a lighting coil. Does this control the spark also? I am asuming it does since the red and white wires come off of there. Where is the best place to get a stator or can I just replace the one coil. Sorry this is so long.

LT80
08-12-2010, 08:43 PM
I've seen long...You're fine. :)
The red/white is the charging side.
Sorry..Nothing to do with the ignition side.
At 175, I think the ignition side is OK.

wyattearp29
08-12-2010, 09:52 PM
So do you think the nut in there could have messed the spark up? I do have a little spark I stripped the wire back and it has fire. Also the inside of the fly wheel was really dirty. I am just trying to look at everything because I don't want to throw parts at it that are not right. so do I have bad lighting coil ?

LT80
08-13-2010, 07:56 AM
Yes, bad lighting/charging coil.
If the flywheel/stator was real dirty, maybe that's the spark problem. I've seen that before.

wyattearp29
08-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Lt80 thanks for the reply. I got with ricky stator and they siad they will sell me just the charging coil for the stator for $39.00. It is the bigger 75watt. It is off of a a honda 110. Anyway thanks for the info.

wyattearp29
08-13-2010, 05:36 PM
So the guy at ricky stator says 0-1 ohm for the lighting coil. So maybe mine is good. Maybe a continnuity test.

wyattearp29
08-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Hey jack where did you get your spark plug boots from and do you have part number. I am pretty sure my stator is good. I have good spark now that I cleaned the stator and flywheel. I still can not get it through the boot.

LT80
08-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Sorry, no part number. :(
I'd think that anyone that sells NGK stuff can get you a cap.
All I know it was for a arctic cat snowmobile. It uses the ball thing on the end of the spark plug..A much tighter fit.

wyattearp29
09-05-2010, 08:42 AM
So I get it all back together and it won't start. I still have all of covers off and notice the stator is only turning half the time. I finally traced it back to the starter. I just put a stater on about 3 months ago and it is already stripped out. The gear off of the wire part is stripped. It is kind of wierd since the original lasted 20+ years. So now I have to find another starter. I did email EMS is logan WV to see if they will warranty it.

hawaiianbasshed
09-12-2010, 02:38 AM
get a pull starter... when our LT80 acts up the pull starter is like majic... sometimes the starter seems like it just doesn't turn the motor over with enough speed and it won't start I'll try til the battery drops in output (you can hear the starter slowing down til it doesn't go much at all) then the pull starter a couple good pulls and it fires right up...

wyattearp29
09-18-2010, 11:30 PM
So I got the new starter in and it runs good. So I guess the main problem was the spark plug boot . I ended up putting in rings and did some mild porting. I put in boysen reeds and took out the oil pump and lightened up the rear clutch.
My boy loves it so far. He says it has never gone faster. I road it on some dirt hills behind my house and it carried my 225Ib butt up them. So thanks for all of the help everyone. Oh the ems starter place in west virginia stood behind there starter and sent me a new one.

hawaiianbasshed
09-19-2010, 12:32 AM
I use our pull starter all the time when the battery gets too low to start the bike when doing tuning and stuff lol.

wyattearp29
09-19-2010, 09:57 AM
yea it is just hard to justify paying 80 dollars for something that should be about 40. I accually used my dewalt drill to start it while I was waiting for my starter.