PDA

View Full Version : need help with brakes!

400exbeaster
08-01-2010, 09:25 AM
ok well my 06 400ex was due for back brakes. i went and got brake pads, and then when i changed them i coudnt even put it back on the disc! its very tight. i kinda banged it in a lil and it went in but my quad hardly moves! do i have to bleed the brake or something? any help would be appreciated.

JOHNDOE83
08-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Once you remove the old brake pads, you have to compress the cylinder on the brake for it to fit proper again, then when you bleed the brakes down again the piston will go back to where it needs to be.

I use a c-clamp to compress the brake piston.

400exbeaster
08-01-2010, 10:37 AM
ohhh i see, cause i did compress the cylinder for the brakes but after it woudnt budge. can you just give me a lil run down on how to bleed brakes? i know some what but not sure.

JOHNDOE83
08-01-2010, 10:50 AM
I think everyone does it a lil different, or have their own tricks.

I remove the brake fluid resevoir cap, then loosen the zerk fitting type nut on the brake it self, then compress the piston fully, then insert new pads, then bolt the brake back on, Then tighten the zerk type fitting for bleeding the brakes.

After that, I press the brake pedal, while holding the brake pedal down at the same time loosen the zerk type bleed fitting so fluid spurts out, then tighten again while leaving pressure on the brake, then press the brake again and loosen then tighten the bleed fitting again.

I do this several times till its bled out and the brake works proper, then I fill the resevoir if needed and put the cap on and go.

400exbeaster
08-01-2010, 11:06 AM
ohh yeah! bringing back some memories bleeding my brothers suv. thanks alot man, this really helped me!

togup
08-01-2010, 09:07 PM
tusk makes a brake bleeder that helps out a bunch its basicly a one way valve that lets the fluid bleed out without letting air back in ,its a cool tool to put in your tool collection

HowellTRX
08-05-2010, 03:15 PM
You don't have to bleed them. I just changed my brothers the other day and the same thing happened. It is easiest to remove the parking brake assemby from the caliper then the cylinder will compress. The brakes were probably adjusted at some point. Then you can adjust it and reattach, you're done.

CJM
08-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Rip off the stupid parking brake and put a block off plate on.

HowellTRX
08-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Or you can go his route ^^^^^^^^^

CJM
08-05-2010, 06:11 PM
I dislike it cause its rather pointless (lock the sucker in gear if you need) and wastes the rear brakes.

irondaddy44
08-07-2010, 11:54 AM
you dont have to bleed your brakes after changing the pads. just take your cap off, c clamp your cylinder back inj, then change your pads put the cap back on. as long as you dont hit your brakes no air can get in it.

slightlybent47
08-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by irondaddy44
you dont have to bleed your brakes after changing the pads. just take your cap off, c clamp your cylinder back inj, then change your pads put the cap back on. as long as you dont hit your brakes no air can get in it.

x2 but i have never even taken the cap off. i just compress the piston back in and put the new pads on and it's good to go.
i've never had to bleed anything.

irondaddy44
08-07-2010, 12:27 PM
thats pretty much what i was saying other than taking the cap off. i always took mine off because of the pressure build up when you press the cylinder back in. i never tried it with cap on so if that works sound like a plan. just def dont need to bleed them.