PDA

View Full Version : Kid hit by train on his 400ex...

RiPPiNiTuP7
02-04-2003, 12:35 AM
I read this over at Bluetraxx...just thought I would show everyone here :(

An all-terrain vehicle rider was killed instantly when he was struck by two connected GE Transporation Systems locomotives as he struggled to free the ATV that had become stuck on the GE test track alongside Iroquois Avenue.

Complete Story:

http://goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Site=GE&Date=20030110&Category=FRONTPAGE&ArtNo=101100216&Ref=AR

:(

L.Vegas400
02-04-2003, 01:03 AM
train horns are damn loud, hmmm, that really sucks:ermm:

muff
02-04-2003, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by L.Vegas400
train horns are damn loud, hmmm, that really sucks:ermm:

yeah that does suck, he was only 19 years old, and aparently didnt hear the train coming cause of the noise of the fourwheeler and he had his helmet on, but it seems like he'd still hear it, he had a stock exhaust

KJ#14
02-04-2003, 06:29 AM
I live in Erie, that is were it happened a few weeks ago.
Sad story, but I would think he would have heard and/or seen the thing coming. They had something on the news about it at a local quad shop showing how loud a ATV is.

KJ #14

P.S. I think it was a 300EX............doesn't really matter I guess...

300_14_racer
02-04-2003, 07:16 AM
guess loud pipes dont always save lives

exriderdude
02-04-2003, 07:18 AM
he had to of not heard it or something, i highly doubt he would risk his life like that just to save his quad

SGA
02-04-2003, 07:25 AM
Thats a shame.:( I've ridden on train tracks before, Stupid of me!!!
It stresses me out to much, looking over my shoulder every 5 seconds. I dont ride on them anymore, its just too dangerous.

Fluid400
02-04-2003, 10:02 AM
what a bummer. Should never ride alone.

HondaRancherES
02-04-2003, 10:03 AM
Sucks. I agree. he still should of heard it

02-04-2003, 10:08 AM
i think i would risk savin my quad at the last minute....when ever i hear riding on the tracks i think of the sides...how did he get stuck?

2fastandfurious
02-04-2003, 10:09 AM
Not only hearing it. Wernt we all taught to look left and right when we were 5? :( :( Sad story, My regards to the family....

JOEX
02-04-2003, 10:41 AM
That's too bad....:(
Looks like Darwin strikes again:ermm:

Joe

joeroadking
02-04-2003, 10:44 AM
that is terrible , I can remember trying to rock my atc out of tracks when I was like ten it is not as easy as it sounds, my condolances to his family and friends :(

Str8Wicked
02-04-2003, 10:45 AM
Hummm... who knows....

joeroadking
02-04-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Str8Wicked
Hummm... who knows....
what are you trying to say ?:confused:

Ryan
02-04-2003, 10:58 AM
Thats a really sad story :( . I still don't see how he didn't hear the train comming. Them trains whistles are so loud, let alone the vibrations of the tracks. I don't wanna jump to conclusions but I think his foot may have been gotten stuck in the tracks while he was trying to push the atv off the tracks. What is also bad about this story is they are gonna find some way to blame atvs for this inccident :rolleyes: .

Andrew400ex
02-04-2003, 01:36 PM
we ride the tracks alllll the time to get to where we go. thats like our road system,and we ride along side them, not on them. but we also jump over the tracks to get to somewhere on the other side,which can be pretty difficult,and often u get ur tires stuck on the rail,so its possible that happened?:ermm:

OutlawEX
02-04-2003, 01:43 PM
wow that is crazy,i feel bad for hsi family:(

quadman22
02-04-2003, 02:23 PM
thats a 300ex, look at the exhaust, its a 300ex exhaust and it has stock 300ex front tires

Str8Wicked
02-04-2003, 02:37 PM
what are you trying to say

What i mean is know one will ever know what happened except for him. In my opinion he could've heard the train unless he was sitting on the track over revving his engine for fun. Maybe it wasn't an accident, and he had other plans by doing this. Or maybe it was just a bunch of wrong action that ended this way. We will never know is my point and yes it is sad and traggic to hear this happen.

insane250Racer
02-04-2003, 02:40 PM
man thats sad to hear ...but this is just goin to cause more problems for us atv riders .....its sad to hear about the kid tho :(

Rip_Tear
02-04-2003, 04:20 PM
That really sucks! Really though, how could he not notice.. I definatly dont suggest riding on train tracks....

Ex_Rider43
02-04-2003, 07:21 PM
thats sad to hear..:( we ride on tracks but the removed the rails so its a long trail without any bump or anything its pretty fun and not dansgerous.

4punkswife
02-04-2003, 07:41 PM
Believe it or not guys.. I have been riding with a bunch of guys before.. and first off.. generally.. you ride facing forward.. so even another quad coming up behind you, you don't always hear until they are close!.. .. Anyhow... we have rode next to the tracks on many occassions.. one time.. we were riding a trail parallel to the tracks.. . the leader started the trail., we followed... just a short distance I would say.. 100-500 yards.. not a long distance .. but anyhow.. by the time the last guy was half way.. here came a train.. at this point the leader had passed the train part.. and was stopped on the hillside, and pointing back.. and of course.. I look over my shoulder.. WITHOUT having heard a train.. and sure enough.. the guy behind me was hauling a.. to save his. And yea.. we did not hear it.. or feel it. It is a strange feeling or thing.. but it's true. So my point.. I guess you never know what can happen and we all need to count our lucky stars!
Kristie :o

rookiex
02-04-2003, 08:04 PM
Yeah I was ridin the the median of a train yard,in troy NY..And I didnt hear a train till it blew its horn and I mean it was 15 ft away from my rear end..And that horn was LOUD...I hit that gas so hard I was in 5th gear in seconds and there way a dead end...well it was'nt a dead end it was where 2 tracks come togather...and we usually got off and pulled our quads up over and across...but I didnt have time I hit those rails as hard as I could with my front tires up...and jumped into the middle of the other rail and bumped over the next and fliped off my quad..It was prolly the closest to death I have ever been...It was on my ***** the whole time...and I was vary vary vary vary lucky that I made it up and over them tracks...but really I would have bailed before I got hit even at 5th gear pinned..I just didnt wanna tell my dad I was on the tracks and lost the EX...he woulda killed me...But I was so lucky...I still get scared thinkin about it...the train was so big it was blue and I just remember seen that grill....sry but it was scary....

luvmyex
02-04-2003, 08:11 PM
We have a trail that crosses the rr tracks in two spots,And at one point you have to ride along the tracks for around 1/4 mile.And in doing that theres a small bridge you have to cross.Its real narrow and you have to put one side up on the rail of the bridge.Im, always looking back when we go that way.Theres really nowhere to go but down a BIG embankment.Guess we've been real lucky.But crossing the tracks is diffewrent.The first couple times i would get off and push it,That sucked and you could get stuck real easy.So i started jumping across em.Alot easier and faster.Just dont come up short,It almost bucks you over the bars and dont feel to good either.

toby400ex
02-04-2003, 08:29 PM
thats no good at all:(

CHAUNCY
02-04-2003, 10:58 PM
Thats sad:(

My prayers go out to him and his family.