PDA

View Full Version : exhaust setups?

4strokernow
07-31-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm looking into ditching the stock exhaust and was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction. I ride trails and go mudding more than anything I was wondering which exhaust to go with for performance and tryin to stay quiet...ish

tEXas400
07-31-2010, 06:32 PM
why the hell would you wanna go muddin in a 400ex. mud muffs **** up, gets all in your bearings and what not. but eh to each his own..

as far as exhaust white brothers is pretty legit. curtis sparks is alright to...

just get a full exhaust, instead of just a slip on. and jet it to match

4strokernow
07-31-2010, 06:35 PM
Like I said I do trails but I'm not gonna turn down a run threw the mud lol...but thanks for the input

slightlybent47
07-31-2010, 08:37 PM
Unless you have other mods to go with it, a pipe won’t give you much more power. Maybe 2 HP if you lucky, this one of the most expensive mods you can do that yields the least performance. Now if you do some other things like a cam, p&p, 450 carb, exc then it will help a lot more then just a pipe alone. If you want to stay quiet then stay with the stock muffler. If you plan on doing some other mods then save up and do them all at the same time, you’ll be happier with one big gain in power then a bunch of small ones.

4strokernow
07-31-2010, 08:40 PM
I have a 440 kit on it and a bigger carb its just that the guy before me never did the exhaust

99400esex
07-31-2010, 08:43 PM
Dont know of very many exhausts that are quiet, but ive always had reliability and decent power from FMF. Like stated above, exhausts are too expensive with minimal gains.

4strokernow
07-31-2010, 08:47 PM
I'm just looking for somethin to let the motor breath more

99400esex
07-31-2010, 08:48 PM
I would say to go with a full system fmf that best suits your needs, but be prepared to spend a pretty penny on it.:devil:

ridein'red7
07-31-2010, 09:18 PM
full Yoshi:devil:

Miami_Vice454
07-31-2010, 09:49 PM
Curtis Sparks :devil: but get ready to open your wallet.

99400esex
07-31-2010, 09:54 PM
:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

CarGuy7a
07-31-2010, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by tEXas400

as far as exhaust white brothers is pretty legit. curtis sparks is alright to...

White brothers were good exhaust systems. Notice I said "were" since they are not in business anymore, good luck finding a WB's exhaust system for the 400EX or pretty much anything made by White Brothers.

He said he wanted it to be still somewhat quiet so that rules the Sparks exhaust out.

I'd say shoot for either a Lexx system that has a ton of tuning options, or an HMF that is a tad bit on the louder side but still gives good gains.

Ian400ex
08-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Miami_Vice454
Curtis Sparks :devil: but get ready to open your wallet.
He said quiet.

But back on topic look at my pictures of my Lexx, it's nice and quiet (comes with a race tip also). It never starts to lose its tone and scream like HMF's do when you get revving hard.

JOHNDOE83
08-01-2010, 12:16 AM
Theres a white Brothers R4 exhaust and a white bros rev box on ebay right now. Someone took the spark arrester out tho?

The R4 is loud, but a REALLY good pipe. I have one.

Ive tried ALOT of rev boxes on my 400ex, the white bros has been by far the best.

PaRedneckRiders
08-01-2010, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
Theres a white Brothers R4 exhaust and a white bros rev box on ebay right now. Someone took the spark arrester out tho?

The R4 is loud, but a REALLY good pipe. I have one.

Ive tried ALOT of rev boxes on my 400ex, the white bros has been by far the best.

The r4 on my 426 seems really loud
Ive had White Bros. on all my 400s but 1

I cant give a good idea of what the E-series sounds like because mine neeeded repacked

I think my R4 is pretty loud

and My mx4 sounds really good but is still on the loud side when u lay into the throttle but if your just putting around its pretty quiet

If your looking for quiet but still a decent pipe i would condsider the FMF q4
Is it the best pipe, no but for the sound output it does make decent increase in power

Personally looking at the sparks but i mostly ride where noise does not matter and i think it will help the most once my motor is all done

If honda400ex2003 keys in he will prob tell u more about the Q4

TRXRacer1
08-01-2010, 05:31 PM
If I was shopping for a full system I'd be all over the CT. It's like a trapp system where you can completely adjust flow/noise to anything you want. I run a similar system on my 400, outstanding power and not obnoxious either.

honda400ex2003
08-01-2010, 06:07 PM
my t-4 is right around 95 dBs. my q4 is hardly 90. if you want the quietest exhaust possible then go with the q4. anything else will be at least 94 dB. They are all pretty good depending on what you want to do. that you have to decide for yourself. no matter what anyone says (except trx racer cause he said CT which is a great tunable exhaust for all situations) it is up to you. look at dyno sheets and such from exhausts if you can find them and decide where you want the power to be. steve

CarGuy7a
08-01-2010, 06:26 PM
The R4 pipe was one of the best sounding pipes White Brothers ever made IMO but they are on the loud side.

My buddy has an R4 on his 400 and it sounds good. His brother has an R4 on his Raptor 660 and it is unGodly loud. When he is behind me I can't even hear my own quad that's how loud it is on that 660.

PaRedneckRiders
08-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
my t-4 is right around 95 dBs. my q4 is hardly 90. if you want the quietest exhaust possible then go with the q4. anything else will be at least 94 dB. They are all pretty good depending on what you want to do. that you have to decide for yourself. no matter what anyone says (except trx racer cause he said CT which is a great tunable exhaust for all situations) it is up to you. look at dyno sheets and such from exhausts if you can find them and decide where you want the power to be. steve

Told u he would key in and tell u more about the Q4

Originally posted by CarGuy7a
The R4 pipe was one of the best sounding pipes White Brothers ever made IMO but they are on the loud side.

My buddy has an R4 on his 400 and it sounds good. His brother has an R4 on his Raptor 660 and it is unGodly loud. When he is behind me I can't even hear my own quad that's how loud it is on that 660.

Dont get me wrong i love the sound of my R4 its just a little lounder than some of the other pipes out there plus there not as easy to find anymore

No white bros. pipe is really easy to find, u cant buy them new because they were bought out by vance @ hines