PDA

View Full Version : body lift and tires

dns1764
07-30-2010, 05:09 PM
i have a 97 f150 and it is time for some new tires. its the 4x4 offroad model so it has a higher stance. but i want bigger....just on a budget. i want to put on a 3" body lift on it, but i am not sure what size tire to put on. i dont want to have it crammed in there, and i dont want to keep the same size. i really like the general grabber at2, but what size?? the rims are the stock 17" alloys. thanks in advance

CJM
07-30-2010, 05:39 PM
Lift the suspension, larger tires with just a bodylift will not help you much at all. It also means your body mounts get stressed (2 inches or less bodylift is better) and your ground straps must be moved-its also very time consuming to do to an F150 of that generation-expect to spend 3-4 days if you dont have air tools and a few buddies to help

If you lift the suspension you want a 16x8 wheel with 4 inches of backspacing and you can fit 285s or 305s with ease. Lifting it is even easier than doing a body lift. All you have to do is move the torsion bars up an inch or two at most and add a leaf or block to the back. Takes a whole 2-4 hours depending on your tools and skill level.

Heck you can fit 285s now, what size is on it now?

440racer66
07-30-2010, 08:52 PM
yeah as any body in the truck game will tell you a body lift isnt ideal. i would just save up and get a susp lift or i wouldnt lift it at all. i had a truck with a 3in body lift and i had it taken off after a year. i thought i look bad imo because you have a huge gap between your frame and your bed. but like my dad said if you want to do it and it makes you happy do it.