View Full Version : Curious about HIDs?

vaget22
07-30-2010, 10:11 AM
You may remember a while ago I did a post about using Relays to make your lights brighter. Well, I'm a HID believer now. If you get a kit with H6M bulbs, they will fit perfect except for one issue. You will either not be able to use the rubber boots on the backs of the lights or you will need to slightly modify them. The problem is that you will need to get a plug to go through where the three wires go through the rubber boot. I took a razor knife and cut between the three holes. This will give just enough room to fit the plug through. I used some RTV to seal it back up. As far as power I would go with using a relay to bring the power from the battery to the ballasts. They draw fairly heavy current at start up and you need it all to get it to work right. When I originally did the relays to make my stock bulbs brighter, it did work. When I went back and installed HIDs, there was no comparison. The HIDs blew the stock bulbs away. Another note is that I had to aim my lights up quite a bit more than where the stock bulbs were.

CJM
07-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Which kit did you use and did you lose the hi/lo function?

beags86
07-30-2010, 06:59 PM
i'm interested in this as well.

dr qwerty
07-30-2010, 08:33 PM
i hear most people use the kits off ddmtunning.com i got mine from there can't get it right on my 700xx can get one to run but not the other huge ordeal for me and i dont know why....but i haven't used the relay yet some say you dont need it others say you do...i am waiting on mine from the mail...

vaget22
07-30-2010, 08:40 PM
Here is the item number on ebay of the kit I used. 130317965695 It's so cheap you would almost figure there's no way it can work. You just need to tell them the type of bulb you want and the temperature you want. They have good feedback and the kit is shipped from a location in the US. I figured it to be a good idea to go with someone in the states in case there were any warranty issues. Worked perfect first time I powered them up. I went with the 6000K. Its slightly blue and very bright. From what I read when you go higher than 6000K the brightness will start to drop off a bit. I went to Glamis last month and tried them out at night with no moon. I had absolutely no problem seeing where I was going. I can give pointers to anyone doing this install.

vaget22
07-30-2010, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by dr qwerty
i hear most people use the kits off ddmtunning.com i got mine from there can't get it right on my 700xx can get one to run but not the other huge ordeal for me and i dont know why....but i haven't used the relay yet some say you dont need it others say you do...i am waiting on mine from the mail...

I would say to most definitely use the relay. They draw a lot of current for the first few seconds to start up. I used the relay on mine and has worked flawlessly every time. Even after a pretty hard crash.

CJM
07-30-2010, 10:14 PM
So the question remains vaget, does the kit have hi/lo or not?

vaget22
07-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by CJM

Sorry about that, got distracted. The setup I have has only High or Low beam. Not both. I had to think that one over for a bit before I pulled the trigger on the HIDs. I came to the conclusion that I never used the low beams anyway. Seemed like every time I rode at night I always wanted as much light out ahead as far as I could get it. I did concider the option of wiring it so only one would come on for the low beam and have both come on for high beam. In the end I decided to keep it simple and wire it for all or nothing. I have read that there are some bulbs that have both high beams and low beams. They achieve this with a mechanism that moves the bulb forward or back in the housing with magnets. Maybe on road vehicles you could get away with this. But what these ATVs go through, my money is that mechanism would fail after a period.

CJM
07-30-2010, 10:59 PM
Makes sense that that kinda of item would fail due to the abuse it would get.

If I had a place to ride at night I would so pull the plug on an HID kit. Its well worth it when I made my offroad lights on my truck HID with similar kits, so on a quad its gotta rock.

dr qwerty
07-31-2010, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by CJM

Yes you can order both for like another 30.00 from different vedors...

CJM
07-31-2010, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by dr qwerty
Yes you can order both for like another 30.00 from different vedors...

got a link?

250ex_dan
08-25-2010, 05:31 PM
will it work for a 08 honda 250ex.?
can you go step by step as i am also interested in this awesome mod.
will i have a problem with the police around here with the bright hids in the night or day.?

vaget22
08-25-2010, 06:22 PM
I don't have a wiring diagram for the 250EX, but if it has both high and low beam on a switch on the handlebars everything should be the same. As far as the LEOs, it just depends on the laws in your area and if they are funny about those kind of things. My guess is that there won't be a problem unless you aim the lights too far up and you are blinding everyone.

vaget22
08-25-2010, 06:24 PM
As far as a write up Ballerchaos did a nice job in the How-to section. Check it out and I'll answer any questions you have.

ballerchaos
09-05-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm actuAlly going to be installing a hid dog lamp in between my shock mounts and using a wiring harness to the low beam wire that's no longer being used on my quad. Just share the ground, run a relay and then to your battery as soon as I get my **** together ill post a pic

vaget22
09-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Definately post it up. Pictures and all. I want to see it.

250ex_dan
09-05-2010, 03:11 PM
yes tthey do have high and low beams

ballerchaos
09-05-2010, 04:58 PM
HIDs are great for these applications, besides the initial draw they pull less power then a standard bulb, I figured the fog light would be great for those sticky situations, i dont know what color I am gunna go with, I have a spare dark blue bulb laying around and a fog lamp from walmart i may try to fit it in, I just need to go buy a relay to make a harness, and get a ballast. Eventualy I wanna get the air box that holds a second battery and figure out a way to run dual batteries and put some strobes or something on teh bike. Maybe custom fabbing an altenator with a sprocket and have it ran off my chain just for an idea.I do alot of trail riding and it would be fun to screw with the kids at night by the lake i ride at lol. and as for a hi/low conversion, it can be done, but you will need to do a retro fit, from past experiance the h4 with HID low and hologen hi works the best for the retro, or you can buy a set that has the selinoid that chaneges the pitch of the bulb, either will work if you can wire, that may be my next project when i get more money for a spare housing.

250ex_dan
09-06-2010, 12:14 PM
were can i get all this material at.?
post some pics if you can

vaget22
09-06-2010, 01:24 PM
There have been several posts on this in the last few weeks.

Check this one first. http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=437986

Next. http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=424681

Next. http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=445989

Check these out and see if they answer your questions. If not, enough of us on here have done this mod that I'm sure we will be able to fill in the blanks for you. Also all the pictures I have seen of the before and after HIDs do not do them justice. The difference is more dramatic in person. When I was at Buttercup last July I could see the reflectors on the border fence glowing from a long way off. If you know the area, I was parked at the trees next to the Plank Road Monument and all the reflectors on the border fence would glow big time from there.