PDA

View Full Version : If you love the 250R.. You gotta remember this

stever250r
07-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Another Honda Classic.....I can remember going to the Local Honda Shop and slobbering all over myself as I looked at these things on the showroom floor... I loved my 250R back then... but I always wanted one these Honda Pilot FL400....

This has to be one of the cleanest ones I have ever seen... If I had the $12,500.00 I would scarf this one up in a heartbeat...

Sorry its not 250R specific.. but it sure takes me back to the days when we could walk into the Honda shop.. and leave with a Brand new 2 stroke Quad!

Ebay item number... 260640915699

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=260640915699&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR4 0%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D2606409156 99%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&viewitem=

troybilt
07-30-2010, 09:32 AM
That is a really slick FL400... I'd love to have it myself, but I wouldn't want to drive it. :eek2:

danhung11
07-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Damm near showroom condition, good find. I bet the bidding goes pretty high on this one. It would be hard to let go, at the same time hard to really enjoy since it's so nice.

wilkin250r
07-30-2010, 09:37 AM
I've got a few people locally trying to sell Honda Pilots, but the average price is around $5k, and no where near that nice.

I'd love to have one. So much better than the Honda Odyssey...

1promodfan
07-30-2010, 09:39 AM
That thing is really clean. I'm kinda like Troy, I'd like to have it, just not sure if I could ride it.

muddymess
07-30-2010, 09:48 AM
I remember seeing these for the first time at the powerline part race last year. There was a truck with like 5 of them on there. I think some where odysseys though. They where blasting them threw the woods jumping them and all kinds of crazy stuff. i went home to see how much it would cost to get one and was vary disappointed at the prices. Needless to say I do not have one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8NRKFEP5RQ

troybilt
07-30-2010, 09:55 AM
I bought a RZR a couple years ago, and eventually sold it. It worked great for my wife and I, but when I wanted to go fast my wife didn't needless to say... long story, but gave my wife whiplash in the whoops and seeing her cry bought broke my heart... I think one of these or an odyssey would be a great compromise for my wife to ride and she can go at here own pace... She feels more comfortable in a caged vehicle like an RZR or Ranger, had one of those too, than a quad. I've been thinking an FL350 would be a fun build and great for the wife and future daughter to ride. You can pick up a decent one around here for 3k or less.

stever250r
07-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Agree... It would be really tough to take it out for a day of fun... I just cant imagine that anyone would purchase it for anything other than a collectors item or a museum piece. Its as close to looking like it just came out of the crate as you could get for something that is twenty years old.

Im betting that Troy is "researching" now on how to mount that stock 400cc cylinder on his new Laeger build......:confused: :D

250Renvy
07-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by stever250r

Im betting that Troy is "researching" now on how to mount that stock 400cc cylinder on his new Laeger build......:confused: :D

I don't think it could be done effectively.

You would have to build a frame around the motor and drive system. I have wanted to get one of these for a while, but there are never any around me and the ones that are, are usually $8500+

I'd like to tear one down and put it in something like a custom 700xx frame with independent rear.

troybilt
07-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Agree... It would be really tough to take it out for a day of fun... I just cant imagine that anyone would purchase it for anything other than a collectors item or a museum piece. Its as close to looking like it just came out of the crate as you could get for something that is twenty years old.

Nope.. hahaha!!! I've never really been into drag bikes... :D But I have been thinking recently how I would modify an FL350 to add long travel suspension... just like the long travel sand car I designed and my buddy is now building.

My priority on quads has always been 1. Suspension 2. brakes then 3. motor.... as far as upgrades. I'd have to admit a 400cc motor would but a big smile on my face though, that's power in spades.

I guess if I could build any motor in the world it would be a resleeved CR500 (with a powervalve somehow) to 350cc and ported for MX national...

stever250r
07-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by troybilt
Nope.. hahaha!!! I've never really been into drag bikes... :D But I have been thinking recently how I would modify an FL350 to add long travel suspension... just like the long travel sand car I designed and my buddy is now building.

My priority on quads has always been 1. Suspension 2. brakes then 3. motor.... as far as upgrades. I'd have to admit a 400cc motor would but a big smile on my face though, that's power in spades.

I guess if I could build any motor in the world it would be a resleeved CR500 (with a powervalve somehow) to 350cc and ported for MX national...

Hehe...Engineers... the ideas never stop do they? How about sharing some pictures of that long travel sand car?

On another topic... Has anyone else seen the OEM Plastics on Ebay that are now at $1350.00...and still climbing... Geez.... .Sure wish I had a few sets laying around to offload...

troybilt
07-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Hehe...Engineers... the ideas never stop do they? How about sharing some pictures of that long travel sand car?

On another topic... Has anyone else seen the OEM Plastics on Ebay that are now at $1350.00...and still climbing... Geez.... .Sure wish I had a few sets laying around to offload...

Yeah, I'll try and get some pics of it. He's wiring the ECM and motor in it now, I helped him go pick up a Northstar aluminum V8. He's been workin on it for 3 years, now.

I originally designed the frame and suspension from scratch just by looking at pictures on the web of other buggies. I wrote a software program in Visual basic with a design algorithm I came up with to optimize the steering and suspension geometry to have perfect or near perfect, camber, down travel, up travel and 0.003" of bump steer, basically set the points for the mounting locations. But with tolerance stackup when building it, its probably closer to 0.25" bump steer realistcally, which is still very good. Its one of the cooler things I've done. I like research and innovation on stuff like this... I've got a lot to learn and just know enough now about these 2 stroke motors to be DANGEROUS, but hopefully I'll keep studying and try and get a better handle on things.

atvmxr
07-30-2010, 12:09 PM
are these motors counter balanced?

there used to be a company pro pilot or something like that in AZ that all sorts of trick suspension for these

mxduner
07-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
Yeah, I'll try and get some pics of it. He's wiring the ECM and motor in it now, I helped him go pick up a Northstar aluminum V8. He's been workin on it for 3 years, now.

I originally designed the frame and suspension from scratch just by looking at pictures on the web of other buggies. I wrote a software program in Visual basic with a design algorithm I came up with to optimize the steering and suspension geometry to have perfect or near perfect, camber, down travel, up travel and 0.003" of bump steer, basically set the points for the mounting locations. But with tolerance stackup when building it, its probably closer to 0.25" bump steer realistcally, which is still very good. Its one of the cooler things I've done. I like research and innovation on stuff like this... I've got a lot to learn and just know enough now about these 2 stroke motors to be DANGEROUS, but hopefully I'll keep studying and try and get a better handle on things. Perfect place to break the ice so to speak, been meaning to ask you when are you going to start a-arm and frame building:blah: You could be the 2nd gen. to the arens bros.:D just maybe something to think about if cat slows down...

maryland450r
07-30-2010, 07:33 PM
I have wanted one of those Pilots for a LONG time. i have never even ridden one of them but they have to be insanely fun. I too wish I could blow some money like that......... I would in a heartbeat if I could!

troybilt
07-31-2010, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by mxduner
Perfect place to break the ice so to speak, been meaning to ask you when are you going to start a-arm and frame building:blah: You could be the 2nd gen. to the arens bros.:D just maybe something to think about if cat slows down...

...that is already in the works, my friend. ;)

My frame is now all stripped down so I can model it up. I've already been working with a few builders. One really good one in Michigan. I've designed a few bumpers and things... figured I'd start small.

Check out the bumper I did for DanHung11's brother... I've got it on my Xc 250r and looks sweet but it was originally for my 450r. This was the prototype, still working out some kinks...

Sorry to Hijack, now back to Pilots and Odyssey's!!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/DSCN0762.jpg

f4istunna
07-31-2010, 09:46 AM
my dad had a pilot when was a kid probably 7 or 8 i remembe riding it around the yard. I wish he kept it would be nice to have. He sold it to my uncle dirt cheap :mad: