PDA

View Full Version : looking for advice on a banshee

Quinn4
07-30-2010, 05:40 AM
I'm intersted in buying a banshee, but I admit I don't know much about them other then they havn't changed much since their intreoduction and the absolutely scream.

I own a ds450 already that I love for fast trail riding but both my brothers have recently bought old school 2-strokes ( quadzilla and trx250r with a 330 kit)

I see banshees on craigslist pretty cheap 1000-2000 for the 06's and was wondering what I should look out for.

Another question is, is it worth it my DS puts out 40-45hp and I've been reading that stock banshees are around 30-35.
I understand how the power hits differently on a 2-stroke but I guess my question is do you guys think the ride will be dramatically different than my DS?

Thanks for the help and love the pics of all the quads on here, If I won the lottery my barn would be packed with quads and 3- wheelers!!!

Hondamaster5505
07-30-2010, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Quinn4
I'm intersted in buying a banshee, but I admit I don't know much about them other then they havn't changed much since their intreoduction and the absolutely scream.

I own a ds450 already that I love for fast trail riding but both my brothers have recently bought old school 2-strokes ( quadzilla and trx250r with a 330 kit)

I see banshees on craigslist pretty cheap 1000-2000 for the 06's and was wondering what I should look out for.

Another question is, is it worth it my DS puts out 40-45hp and I've been reading that stock banshees are around 30-35.
I understand how the power hits differently on a 2-stroke but I guess my question is do you guys think the ride will be dramatically different than my DS?

Thanks for the help and love the pics of all the quads on here, If I won the lottery my barn would be packed with quads and 3- wheelers!!!

Not much to look out for. Check the compression to make sure it's good. (A stock compression healthy banshee should be above 110. A recent rebuilt one is around 125-130.)

Make sure it's tuned right (ie: doesn't hesitate/miss/etc)

Check all the bearings/bushings. Make sure they're tight.

Ask him what 2-stroke oil he ran.

As far as comparing to you're DS, modern 450's are pretty much just as fast as banshee's these days. (Up to a point)

A piped/jetted banshee with an intake, is about just as fast as you're 450. But in my opinion the banshee feels faster because it has that sudden hit and just howls through the gears.

If you were to go into porting (not too expensive) the banshee will easily out-pull your DS.. putting the banshee anywhere around 55-65hp depending on other supporting mods/tuning/pipes/etc.

If you plan to ride trails though... invest in suspension. The banshee will KICK YOUR *** on the rough rocky stuff. The DS is a much better riding/handling bike.

Before I had suspension on mine, I still rode trails, but it wasn't my favorite type of riding lol