PDA

View Full Version : Hitch mounted Single ATV Carrier Advise Please

bryan.young1
07-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Update: Here is a link to the Full Review i did on the VersaHaul VH-90 Thanks again for all the feedback

Full Review VersaHaul VH-90 (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=445735)

Going to post this in a couple of areas since i searched and found not one post related to them Looking for something to drag my new baby around in and was thinking of either the

Versahaul VH90

or

Tilt-A-Rack 700ARV

I can find no reviews or home videos on either of them which could be good or bad. anyone out there used them and have any feedback/tips/cautions/etc? I think I'm going to be rite at 49 inches wide front and rear with a little play in the front if i pick up on the suspension. I am still waiting on a call from versahaul to see if there's even goes wide enough and it seems the tilt a rack one has enough but its more expensive. The other option is to get a cheap trailer but that will take up more room and i only will have a one car garage to store my Jeep Grand Cherokee, Quad and what ever i get to transport it so space is definitely a consideration. Thanks in advance for any feedback.Full Review VersaHaul VH-90 (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=445735)

bryan.young1
07-30-2010, 12:02 AM
here is the other one i was looking at

slightlybent47
07-30-2010, 01:40 AM
You would be better off just putting it in the back of the truck.
Or if you have a SUV you would do better with a small trailer, having that much weight hanging on the back like that would be hard on the suspension. You got to remember that your quad weighs around 400 - 450 lbs. Not to mention that going over dips in driveways and rail road tracks you might drag the rack on the ground. Then the cops may get you for an obstructed license plate. As you can tell by now I wouldn’t go that rout. JMO

hondaracer31
07-30-2010, 02:07 AM
I agree. That's a lot of weight to be hanging that far off the back of a truck. The only way I'd be comfortable with that is if the truck is a 1 ton.

Scro
07-30-2010, 05:59 AM
This guy (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=443194) made his own. There's no way I would haul anything like this, that I didn't want to see flipping down the interstate in my mirrors.

Guy400
07-30-2010, 06:34 AM
http://www.tractorsupply.com/trailers-towing/trailers/utility-trailers/carry-on-trailer-reg-no-floor-trailer-1000215

This trailer is about half the cost of the Versahaul VH90. Just throw a wood deck on this and you're golden. It'll pull your quad and gas cans and is far less stress on your vehicle. Those ATV racks just don't look like a good idea to me.

bryan.young1
07-30-2010, 08:55 AM
thank you for the tips all please keep them coming i still have not decided which way to go but these replies are leaning me the other direction. Is there anyone that is using these for sport quads that can say if they hold up?

Thanks for the link Guy400 thats cheaper then any trailer i have found so far. is that the one you use?

oh and Scro.......... HOLY $%^% that's crazy lol i will give it to him for being creative but yea i wouldn't go down the road with that rig either.

not sure what two dirt bikes weigh but if it is close to one quad, the dealer says he sells the two bike ones a lot and has never seen or heard any complaints.

Guy400
07-30-2010, 09:08 AM
That's not the one I use now but did about 15+ years ago except we cut it, lengthened it and widened it. I can tell you that it held a Quadracer and 2 230 Quadsports for a ton of riding trips. The trailer I have now is a pop-up camper frame that someone wanted to just throw away because one of the wheel bearings seized. I bought a 2000lb. axle assembly from Tractor Supply and just put a 3/4" deck on it. I probably only have $300 into this trailer and it's about 7' wide and almost 9' long.

mxpimp2000
07-30-2010, 12:07 PM
that is the dumbest thing made. why would you put all that money in a quad and let it hang off the back of ur truck when a truck is for hauling it. I seen a guy at a national hauling his ltr like that and the bed of his truck was basically empty except a cooler and gear bag. To me a cooler and gear is cheaper to replace if it falls off the back. Also gotta think about retards that rear end ppl. Itd also be easier for someone to theive it if left like that overnight or something

One_Bad_400
07-30-2010, 01:08 PM
I would trust it, if they came with an insurance clam that said if my carrier breaks i will replace your quad. but the day i look back and my quad is doing cartwheels at 70mph down the interstate is the day someone is getting a foot shoved up their john brown hind parts

BrianEX
07-30-2010, 01:50 PM
I haven't used one, but agree with everyone else that it sounds like a bad idea as well. Now I do note you are hauling with a Jeep, so the best hitch you would have is a class 3. They are limited to 500 pound tounge weight. The carrier itself is 120 pounds. That leaves a maximum of 380 pounds for the ATV. That means only smaller kids ATV at best. Something like a folding trailer sounds like a better option if you are concerned on storing a trailer.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11529957&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC%7C3960%7C51276&N=4041978&Mo=4&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=51276&Ns=P_Price%7C1%7C%7CP_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C

http://scandipacific.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=32

http://kendonusa.com/

smr
07-30-2010, 01:54 PM
I don't understand why everybody is knocking this thing. I built one for a guy that has used it for over ten years. The metal is probabley better metal than that TSC trailer someone posted about. As far as your quad falling off, well that can happen on a trailer just as easy. Tie the thing down good and rock and roll.

And..My 18ft inclosed has a tongue wait of over 400 pounds (empty) I would say there wouldn't be much difference there.

I've been thinking real hard about building one of these to use behing my slide in camper.

Guy400
07-30-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by smr
I don't understand why everybody is knocking this thing. I built one for a guy that has used it for over ten years. The metal is probabley better metal than that TSC trailer someone posted about. As far as your quad falling off, well that can happen on a trailer just as easy. Tie the thing down good and rock and roll.

And..My 18ft inclosed has a tongue wait of over 400 pounds (empty) I would say there wouldn't be much difference there.

I've been thinking real hard about building one of these to use behing my slide in camper. I don't think anyone is saying it won't work. However, we are saying that for the money there are better options. And while your 18' trailer has a rating of 400lbs. your axles are carrying nearly all of it's weight. What a previous poster is saying is that on a Class III receiver it's capacity is 500lbs. With one of these hitch carriers that means your receiver has 100% of the burden. I had a Rhino on my trailer which is 1200lbs. with oil and fuel and that consumed my entire deck of my trailer yet I could pick the tongue up by myself so my receiver isn't carrying all the weight.

CJM
07-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Tongue weight like the others aid is way to much. Plus the jeeps short wheel base will literally make the front lift up cause your carting about 500+ lbs between the carrier and atv.

No, a small trailer like soemthing from harbor freight or the one posted would be best. Check craigslist in your area, I see TONS of 4x8 and similar trailers for very cheap cause people are selling off thier toys.

I have a 94 HD F250, it has a class IV hitch and could probably handle that carrier-but anything less than a class IV I doubt would work to well. Notice the guy who made his own-the entire back half of that nissan (think its a pathfinder) is sagging BADLY-aint good.

mxduner
07-30-2010, 07:01 PM
I built 1 for 2 fullsize dirtbikes. costed about 40-50 bucks, however most steal i had laying around. been using from 03-08. The difference was going from drive to od. that raised my mpg 1/3rd. going to 20 races a year min. 200 miles a weekend payed for itself in just a couple of weekends. ohh btw this was on a s-10 blazer with original shocks at 150,0000 or so miles.:devil:

D Bergstrom
07-30-2010, 07:10 PM
I know a well known desert racer that uses one, puts his spare quad on it during the race. I have no idea what brand it is, but it gets used all over Mexico and some in the states. (If it can survive on a road in Mexico, anything you take it on in the states should not be a problem!) As far as I know, he has never had a problem with it, uses it on a 3/4 ton truck and he hauls a TRX700XX on it, just a bit heavier then your standard 450.

I have actually thought about buying one. I have a four door truck and only a 5' bed, so it would be nice to use the rack for the quad and have the entire bed for gear and spare parts. I would not use one on a jeep or something like that, but anything 1/2 to or more, I wouldn't worry about it. I probably would look into some type of overload spring for the rear leaves though, my truck sags pretty good from just my flatbed with a quad and RZR-S on it.

You have to figure, they must not be a problem. If they were, the companies that make them would not be in business. If they were failing left and right and quads bouncing down the road, they would be having to deal with lawsuits, kind of hard to keep the doors open if you are getting your butt sued off. If you are really interested, call the different manufacturers and ask some questions and follow there recomendations.

The biggest problem with a trailer is you have to find someplace to keep it. I know, I pay $120 a month for a storage space for my 7'x16' flatbed because I have no room at my house. This rack you can take off and lean it up against a wall, doesn't take up alot of space.

You also have to be carefull with those inexpensive trailers. Alot of them are for around the town use only, they use smaller wheel bearings. Try to take a couple hundred mile trip with one, you will be sitting alongside the road with cooked bearings. Trailer doesn't work so good if the wheels won't turn! If you do get a trailer, make sure it has standard size bearings.

Doug

CJM
07-30-2010, 07:20 PM
Could always get one of them folding jobs.

mxduner
07-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Could always get one of them folding jobs. i did that a while back, had to rewire it after the first winter. Wasnt to bad, just don't like the winter salt over here, or being overloaded:devil:

also factor tires wheel bearings license fees and misc. Dont get me wrong i own/owned several trailers, but on long distances i would use the rack. Now i got a pickup, and if i ran outta room i would throw my rack back on.

CJM
07-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Yea, I know what you mean about rewiring them.

Rack imho is good for a real truck, say at least a 1/2 ton-anything smaller thats to much weight to put on it imho

bryan.young1
07-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Once again ill reiterate that you guys are awsome. Tons of great feedback. I was starting to lean towards a trailer as I was getting a bit worried after the posts about it being too heavy for the rear end and thoughts of my newly aquired dream quad (well mine anyway) bouncing riderless down the I-5 as I watched helpless from the rear view mirror but as always with these threads when they go well you get all points of view and lots of information on all sides. Which makes it possible to make a well informed decission.

I heard from VersaHaul today and they were very helpfull and answered all my questions. They said that there larger rack would support up to 50inches wide which is perfect for the plus 4 front end and plus 2 plus 2 rear end (rite at 49). As for its stabality they assured me that after the quad is loaded and a special locking ring is installed and the quad properly strapped down (my job:) that the quad will feel as if it were bolted rite to the frame of the vehicle. This remains to be seen, but it was good to hear from the manufacture. I also spoke to an independant dealer that sells them and he said that he has personally sold at least 30 of the versa quad racks at his store with not one complaint or return yet.

I did not hear back from tilt a rack

I think I am going to go with the versa haul because its ceaper ($650 without ramp) and now I know it will support the wide quad. I think my stock tow hitch is class III, which according to versahaul should work fine and if my suspension seems to be drastically effected then I will look into upgrading that. As for the trailer option I just feel that if I got a just above entry level trailer that would safely tow for long distance and last then it would be about the same price and would take up more room in my little garage then am willing to give up. You can expect a full report on it once I get it set up and get a trip or two done with it and believe me if I get it loaded and all of a sudden I'm driving around on two weels every time I use the gas and can't steer I will be the first to let you guys say I told you so :). Any way thanks again to all for all the tips. Feel free to keep them comming for others that read this thread, and I will be back with a full update with picks and maybe a vid when I get it.

ATV RIDERS RULE

slightlybent47
07-30-2010, 08:27 PM
I’ll go first “I told you so” now go ahead and give me the $650.00 and will call it even. lol

mxduner
07-30-2010, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
I’ll go first “I told you so” now go ahead and give me the $650.00 and will call it even. lol dont be spending those penny's just yet:D we have to get a report back from him yet.
i'm gonna tell everybody what i had been hauling. my twin bike rack with a 06 yz250 bout 215 ish dry , and an 04 crf250 think that was about about 220ish dry. usually going to the 1 day races, we filled up are gas tanks, and left the cans at home. so just add 10 lbs per bike. thats 455 lbs. now my 'custom' rack weigh's i bet easily 80 lbs. and my little blazer handles it just fine. Yea in the dips the front end got light, but it was nothing really. around corners yea you can feel it, but again not anything i could'nt get used to. this gentleman has a grand cherokee, a little wider and heavier, and if he has a v-8 in there that will keep that front end down.

to the op. you might talk to a local welder and have one custom built for your needs, and save some $

bryan.young1
07-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Yes its an 02 Jeep GC with the high output 8 in it.

CJM
07-30-2010, 10:18 PM
I still say its gonna put to much weight on the rear of a short wheel base vehicle.

Good luck man, maybe some airbags will help carry the load a bit better.

slightlybent47
07-30-2010, 11:17 PM
I don’t know about a GC model but Jeep usually has the axels closer to the rear of the vehicle so it may work but there usually light weight so that may be a down fall.
And with a trailer you’re putting the weight in a downward angle, where the rack is going to have a deferent leverage angle and I would think it would have more stress on it. If I went with a rack I would defiantly put the best receiver hitch I could get on it.

smr
07-31-2010, 06:04 AM
he will be fine. Like I said, The tonge lbs on my enclosed is over 400 lbs and I have pulled it it a 1/2 ton many times.

I would trust this rack over one of those little trailers from tractor supply any time.

let us know how it turns out.

Hondamaster5505
07-31-2010, 07:14 AM
We've used one multiple times and have no issues... we have even put a 600lb 4x4 quad on it without any trouble.

My dad custom built it.. they're VERY easy to make. The way he built it/welded it ended up making it stronger then all those brand-name haulers.

It's great, we can put two quads on the truck to head off riding without pulling along the trailer.

BUT.... we use a 1-ton GMC to carry it... we had 4,000lbs in the bed once, and the shocks moved like an inch. And it has the largest factory hitch. So the hauler is absolutely nothing to the truck, it barely knows it's there.

I can't see it working too well on a Grand Cherokee... we have an 01 and it's meant to be a nice-riding vehicle so the suspension is very soft.. it will probably bottom out.

bryan.young1
08-20-2010, 11:51 PM
thanks again all i went with the VersaHaul. here is a link to the Full Review i Did. The thing is perfect as you will read. I did have to put in some air bags to stay level in the rear but even on the long trip with the quad before i put the air bags in i never bottomed out once was really proud of my little JEEP:) any way here is the link

Full Review VersaHaul VH-90 (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=445735)

Oh and for the record the Class III tongue weight is 750lb:)