PDA

View Full Version : painting wheels

underpsi
07-29-2010, 08:45 PM
I am just wondering if anyone has painted their wheels and how does it hold up? I have just a set of stock wheels off my 400ex and thinking of painting them black and not sure if it will stick or not. I also thought about getting them powdercoated but would like to just try paint first since they are just the stock wheels. Any input would be great

thanks

Scro
07-30-2010, 06:06 AM
You can, but it will be chipped within 5 minutes of riding. Even powdercoat will chip after a single ride, most of the time. This is riding in the woods though. I would imagine it would last longer in the dunes.

QuadCobbler
08-11-2010, 09:53 AM
I just had my rims painted with Black polyurathane panit, I will let you know how it turns out. There stock honda wheels as well. I had my sons painted about a year ago and he goes through mud, rocks and woods all the time and his wheels still look new (or close to new) his wheels are steel though so that should have a lot to do with it.

NMills
08-28-2010, 09:19 PM
I did mine... Most of it lasted long... I cleaned them... used a super fine grit sanding block to just kinda scratch the surface... cleaned again... applied a adhesive promotor... and then laid a layer of black... waited a little bit... did a second layer... and then after a bit did a 3rd layer... held up good... not a good idea to hit anything hard... tho with spray paint you can always touch em up a bit...