View Full Version : Piece fell out of my cam ?!?!?!?

reptikes
07-29-2010, 08:07 PM
I took off my cam holder to do my shims and some piece that goes into my cam fell out! Its the part that interacts with the cam chain sprocket, but i dont know what position to put it in... in order to put it back together.

Anybody knowledged on the 2008 TRX450R cam assembly?

DnB_racing
07-29-2010, 08:37 PM
I believe the parts you referring to would be the decompressor shaft or plunger!! I cant believe the service manual doesn't show this? dont tell me that you dont have one!!you can download one for under 10 bucks if you look around

Ichoptop
07-29-2010, 09:20 PM
just go to BikeBandit.com and look att the exploded views of the top end of the motor. Theres even an Iphone app.

reptikes
07-29-2010, 09:22 PM
I the ordered the Honda one yesterday, i wont get it till Monday!!!!

reptikes
07-29-2010, 09:57 PM
When putting the cam sprocket bolts back in, it says to use Red Loctite. Shouldn't i use Blue instead... You need to heat Red Loctite to get it off right?

Wouldn't Blue Loctite be strong enough?

d3ktrix
07-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by reptikes
When putting the cam sprocket bolts back in, it says to use Red Loctite. Shouldn't i use Blue instead... You need to heat Red Loctite to get it off right?

Wouldn't Blue Loctite be strong enough?

Nah red will be fine, just don't put a ton, it normally loosens pretty easy.
Blue hardly does anything.

I use red in a lot of places on my quad, never had a problem taking things apart.

quad2xtreme
08-02-2010, 03:51 PM
You can't mess up putting that plunger back into place. If you look down in there, you can see where the end of it would fit into part of the decompression mechanism. You can't fit it together if it is in the wrong position. Once in, you can spin it and watch the decompression pin go in and out.

It is a PITA not having that slide out. I almost prefer the old style decompression system on the 2006/2007 engine.