PDA

View Full Version : flat track?

kenley racing
07-29-2010, 04:10 PM
i wanna make my yfz for flat track racin what all do i need to do that other then tires and number plates??

440ex. ehhh!!
07-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Good idea! i race flattrack with my 400ex. my buddy got me into it this season, hes got a yfz450. all he did to it is hoosiers, front sway bar, and front and rear lowering kit. its SWEET.

where abouts are you located?

what kind of track will you be riding on? where i race there are no tire restrictions and its hard packed dirt so i run holeshot HD's with great results. i don't have it lowered yet, and its stock width and im 4 points down for 1st place.
http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae357/josh440ex/ATVing/racejune18_.jpg

Ultimately it just depends on the track and what their rules are.

kenley racing
07-30-2010, 06:45 PM
i live in pa i would be racin at blanket hill im not sure about the track

440ex. ehhh!!
07-30-2010, 10:22 PM
yea so just figure out what track you would race at, call them and see what you would need, maybe even go watch one night if its not too far of a drive. better then spending the money on parts you need for it and find out its not for you.

BakerRacing40
07-31-2010, 12:45 PM
to start get your tires, swaybar ( i recommend Rath Racing ) , spin your preload nuts on your shocks all the way up, and get a rear lowering link only.. you'll hear about and find out lil speed secrets as you go....

kenley racing
08-01-2010, 07:06 PM
ii went their 2wice i really liked it

440ex. ehhh!!
08-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by BakerRacing40
to start get your tires, swaybar ( i recommend Rath Racing ) , spin your preload nuts on your shocks all the way up, and get a rear lowering link only.. you'll hear about and find out lil speed secrets as you go....

thats the opposite i did.
i spun the preload all the way up on the back and for the front i just made custom mounts for the shock, so now they mount about 3" further out on the arms and it just dropped it. and handles GREAT. arms are perfectly horizontal without me on it. and remember right shock u want hard, and left soft.

BakerRacing40
08-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by 440ex. ehhh!!
thats the opposite i did.
i spun the preload all the way up on the back and for the front i just made custom mounts for the shock, so now they mount about 3" further out on the arms and it just dropped it. and handles GREAT. arms are perfectly horizontal without me on it. and remember right shock u want hard, and left soft.

having your a-arms flat out like that fools the caster to turn in better on the corner, but can make twitchy. and moving the shocks out softens them up by increasing the leverage on them. my a-arms were made for me with the lower shock mount out one inch to settle the front down a little, but having the front higher helps the weight transfer to hook up. the rear hooks up best when the swing arm is level. when i didn't have a sway bar i would run lower air pressure in the left front to get some more bite out of the left rear, after the sway bar i was usually set up with 35 lbs jacked into the left rear. everybody sets their bars up different some like left rear, some neutral, and i've seen people want right rear.. my front shocks were always set up the same, tried setting them different but not my thing.

hope i made some sense with all my rambling.. lol:blah:

440ex. ehhh!!
08-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by BakerRacing40
having your a-arms flat out like that fools the caster to turn in better on the corner, but can make twitchy. and moving the shocks out softens them up by increasing the leverage on them. my a-arms were made for me with the lower shock mount out one inch to settle the front down a little, but having the front higher helps the weight transfer to hook up. the rear hooks up best when the swing arm is level. when i didn't have a sway bar i would run lower air pressure in the left front to get some more bite out of the left rear, after the sway bar i was usually set up with 35 lbs jacked into the left rear. everybody sets their bars up different some like left rear, some neutral, and i've seen people want right rear.. my front shocks were always set up the same, tried setting them different but not my thing.

hope i made some sense with all my rambling.. lol:blah:

uhhhmmm.... :p
yea, a little bit i guess. but the way i understand it, is you will hook up better with less air in the left rear and more in the right rear. as for fronts, im not to sure, i don't have any problem with controlling the fronts.
and i tested out the mounts i made for the front and everything today at our local ride spot, theres a little oval track i guess, its like 75' from end to end. and it was great! a lot better then stock height in the front. i will just have to get used to the idea, that instead of going up on the 2 side wheels and slowing me down a little, i will just spin around. :p

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae357/josh440ex/ATVing/sspx0201.jpg

I'll reply back after this friday and let you know how it worked for me.

Buttermilk
08-04-2010, 05:25 PM
One thing you will want to watch out for is dropping the front down too low. This will cause you to unload the rear too much and sometimes can make you too loose coming out of corners.

I'd say that the most common mistake made by newcomers to flattrack racing is dropping the front too much.

My son's buddy ran a 440EX a few years back, and we finally settled on the "stock" ride height in front just to help load the back end coming out of the corners (it's all in the corner exit speed...). However, what works for us may not work for you, although the basic concept remains the same.

Things like a-arm width/type, swingarm length, rider weight, shock type, etc., all effect the setup and how well the quad works.

It took me a while to figure out how to "setup" a quad for flattrack/tt racing, but finally did it well enough for my son to win 40 trophies and 4 local championships in two years. We sure had a lot of fun!

440ex. ehhh!!
08-04-2010, 06:04 PM
yea i guess so eh. that makes sense. but too, the track i race at is so small, your almost always in the corner. ;p It's trial and error i guess.