PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the timing,?

beck125
07-29-2010, 01:27 PM
ok i know the manual, idc what it says i never can get it right through the words of the manufacturer, but i am guessing my problem is timing on my 416 but how to i go about checking the timing, and how do i adjust it?

TRXRacer1
07-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Ignition timing is non-adjustable. CDI controls that and the internals are fixed.

yellow416ex
07-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Technically its not adjustable, but you can get a new key way for the flywheel from Sparks that will advance the timing 6 degrees. Also someone on here made a key way that will advance it 3 degrees. Thats pretty much the only way to adjust the timing on the 400EX.

CJM
07-29-2010, 04:27 PM
To make sure its in time you need to pull the valve cover and the inspection ports on the starter side of the case (allen head knobs).

Then you look thru the inspection ports and line up the flywheel with the notch on one of them with the T mark.

Then look at the cam (which you can see b/c the valve covers off) and see if the two lines on the cam gear are parallel to the cylinder.

If those aint matched up you got issues. You can read about how to do most of the above by reading how to adjust the valves in the articles section of the site.

What makes you think the timing is the problem anyways?

TRXRacer1
07-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by CJM
To make sure its in time you need to pull the valve cover and the inspection ports on the starter side of the case (allen head knobs).

Then you look thru the inspection ports and line up the flywheel with the notch on one of them with the T mark.

Then look at the cam (which you can see b/c the valve covers off) and see if the two lines on the cam gear are parallel to the cylinder.

If those aint matched up you got issues. You can read about how to do most of the above by reading how to adjust the valves in the articles section of the site.

What makes you think the timing is the problem anyways? That will tell you cam timing but not ignition timing. Not sure which one Beck is looking for.

CJM
07-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
That will tell you cam timing but not ignition timing. Not sure which one Beck is looking for.

Well since its not really adjustable I took a stab.

Like I said, we needs more info as to whats wrong with the quad.

beck125
07-29-2010, 08:46 PM
at this point i have no idea what it could be, it wont start have spark gas and compression and will not fire on starting fluid, . the plug does end up wet thoug

CJM
07-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Check your timing chain tensioner. remove the protective hex cap and stick a screwdriver in it and see if it springs back-it doesnt you need a new one and probably a good idea to do a chain too. However if this was the case it would sound really horrible while trying to turn over.

Course, you could have bad gas. Buddys of mine had the quads in storage and the gas was so old it wouldnt start-crank over and over and over-fresh gas fired right up. I cant understand why it wont fire on starting fluid tho.

brokenmike
07-31-2010, 08:30 PM
could be a bad stator. Mine had compression,spark and gas and it would not even pop on starting fluid. I put a new stator in and it fired up faster than i could take my thumb off the button