PDA

View Full Version : Need some help from you guys with truck knowledge.

z400mayhem
07-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Hey guys, im 15, and will be getting my liscense soon, so im looking at buying a truck now.. And as I make some more money in the next couple months I would fix it up, and put some performance parts on it.. I found the perfect truck, but it said it needs the cab corners and rocker pannels replaced to pass inspection, how much would it cost to replace? I am pretty mechanically inclined, and if I needed any help my father used to be a mechanic so im sure he could help me out.. Heres the truck : 1999 GMC (http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-SUVs-trucks-vans-pickup-trucks-1999-GMC-Sierra-2500-SLT-4X4-W0QQAdIdZ220229353)

Please give me your thoughts,
Thanks.

fastredrider44
07-29-2010, 11:06 AM
My thoughts: unless you need a 3/4 ton, I wouldn't get it. The 6.0s are good motors, but get horrible gas "mileage". As far as the rockers and cab corners, that's typical, but I would probably let a shop do it rather than try yourself. I've seen them get replaced, only to rust out again right above the patch panels.

yellowzo3
07-29-2010, 11:11 AM
All Chevy's are known for the cab corners and rockers rusting out. I haven't seen one that new with that happening though... But you guys get a lot of snow in Canada. Snow=Salt :p ...Ask him for some pictures of the cab corners to see how bad they are. If it fails inspection because of it then I'd think its pretty significant.

On older Chevy's you can buy pieces to replace the rockers and cab corners that you weld in. You cut out the old, weld in the new, and paint it. I'm not sure if they make those pieces yet for the NBS trucks. If your dad is a mechanic and can weld then he should be able to do the job.

Oh and for the U.S. residents 310,000km = 192,000 miles. So its getting up there in miles. You'll need to do a tune up and sooner or later do the fuel pump and water pump.

If you don't mind working on it and it's a solid truck (other than the problems listed) then it might be a good fixer upper. I understand stuff costs more in Canada, but if you can snatch it up for $3000 that'd be a good deal imo. Your dads a mechanic so he should know what else to look for if you go check it out in person.

hskers82
07-29-2010, 10:38 PM
I agree with fastredrider44 on the 6.0 I have an '02 2500hd with the 6.0 and it passes everything but a gas station.Don't hook up to any big trailers either because you will really see terrible mileage