PDA

View Full Version : best toe-in for mx?

mx Eli
07-28-2010, 07:54 PM
I just got a 07 450r with janssen +3 long travel a arms and fox float evols and the toe in is set at 1 3/4 inch toe-in and it's seems like a lot when sitting on it. I have ride on a mx track a lot with my stock 450r with around 1/2 inch toe-in. but I bought this thing and the guy raced a class in district 16 with it like that so I didn't really want to mess with it, but it seems like a lot to me???

thanks for the help!

d3ktrix
07-28-2010, 08:55 PM
I do 1/4" of toe in for the whole front end for MX.
And 1/4" of camber for each tire.

This is what most people/shops recommend.

Remember to do all measurements with ur weight on the bike.

Here is a guild from LSR.
http://www.lsracing.com/img/Guide_21.pdf

DnB_racing
07-28-2010, 11:28 PM
The toe setting on a mx quad becomes a tradeoff between the straight-line stability afforded by toe-in and the quick steering response promoted by less toe-in. Nobody wants their quad to constantly wander all over the track, the never-ending steering corrections required would drive anyone batty. But mx racers are willing to sacrifice a bit of stability on the straightaway for a sharper turn-in to the corners. so depending on the amount of turns would determin the amount of toe

airmobile101
07-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Well, I run 1/8 for each side. I run XC, but I think its pretty much similar with MX.

eastside 400
07-29-2010, 07:32 PM
1/8" on each side for 1/4" total... camber should be 1/2" which gives you around 3 degrees

mx Eli
07-29-2010, 08:31 PM
ok thanks for the info people I adjusted it today and holy crap the lock nuts were horrible to get off but I did it

DnB_racing
07-29-2010, 08:41 PM
you got any pics of this quad? I know you looked hard to find a good quad, so what did you get and was it a good deal? if you posted pic someplace else I apologize

CRE Performance
07-29-2010, 09:10 PM
I like to run 1/8 total toe in, measured when the toe in is at its greatest point....with the tie rods level. It leaves it toed out when the front end is at rest, but most tracks I run on are shorter supercross style tracks. On these tracks, I dont mind a lil high speed wander cause the straights are so short, but I cant afford front end push.

quad2xtreme
08-04-2010, 06:59 AM
I run 1/4" toe-in, -1° camber, and -3° caster.

dustin_j
08-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by CRE Performance
I like to run 1/8 total toe in, measured when the toe in is at its greatest point....with the tie rods level. It leaves it toed out when the front end is at rest, but most tracks I run on are shorter supercross style tracks. On these tracks, I dont mind a lil high speed wander cause the straights are so short, but I cant afford front end push.

Very informative post! I don't think many people take the time to look at how the toe changes throughout their travel (bump steer). I set my toe in to be 1/8" total when the toe out is greatest.

Before I did this I was noticing the quad was twitchy (wandered) on jump faces since it toed out as the suspension compressed. Do you just live with this to get sharper steering?