PDA

View Full Version : PSI 425 Genesis

Higgy87TRX425
07-28-2010, 03:37 PM
I was reading your guys comments on big bore and I wanted to see what anyone thought of the PSI 425cc Genesis motor?? Anyone hear anything bad or good about about this motor?? Let me know.

cdrookie
07-30-2010, 01:45 PM
the general conclusion i've heard, is that it'll be fast as hell till it blows up in a couple hrs.

now i've never owned or rode one, just going by what "they" say, so take it for what it's worth, which might be nothing...

wilkin250r
07-30-2010, 02:38 PM
We used to have a couple members that ran that one.

From what I heard, they were good motors, and for a while were the biggest around (they pre-dated the Saber).

But I heard the company had a few internal issues, and customer service was an absolute nightmare. I think more than a few turned away from them simply because they couldn't get anybody on the phone to order one...

Higgy87TRX425
07-30-2010, 02:51 PM
Yeah I've dealt with Bruce at PSI a few times already with ok results. I'm a little scared about the motor though. I'm already having some problems with it not wanting to idle. I think the carb is clogged up. It sat for about a year with the same gas in it and now after I have to put some gas in the cylinder to start it up and then it will only run until it's outta the gas that I put in the cylinder. If I try and rev it up it just dies. So I think it might be gummed up in the carb. Last summer it ran awsome!! No problems it was a little hard to kick, but generally after it was warm starting it wasn't a problem. Its got fresh gas, a new plug, new coolent and new oil. I even drained the gas tank and drained the old gas outta the carb as well. thats why I think that the carb is clogged up! Any ideas for me???

cdrookie
07-30-2010, 03:09 PM
clean the carb

addictedtomud
07-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Yeah I'm with Wilkin250r on this one, I bought a complete PSI425pv motor a couple years back and discovered that the intake and exhaust are both larger than stock. So I phoned PSI prepared to buy a pipe and intake system for it. After several phone calls I couldn't get a call back or an answer. First it was "I think we have a pipe for that laying around here somewhere, I'll have to dig it up and call you back." Then after I phoned a few more times to check status I was told to just take an LRD big bore pipe and cut the manifold flange off and have someone weld me up a custom one. I felt like I was annoying them with my business, so I gave up on the project and sold the motor.

If you cant get parts for it and have to custom make your own stuff, the fun factor definately drops for me!!

wilkin250r
07-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Higgy87TRX425
thats why I think that the carb is clogged up! Any ideas for me???

You can try pulling the plug off the bottom of the bowl, and spraying carb cleaner directly up through the main jet. That might unclog it enough to run, and you won't need to pull the carb to try this.

Otherwise, you're pulling the carb off and rebuilding it.

Higgy87TRX425
07-30-2010, 05:01 PM
The carb is a PSI Big Air Carb and its new! It has maybe 15 hrs on it so I don't think that it needs a rebuild, but I think you're right about cleaning it. I like that idea about just using carb cleaner and taking just the bowl off, because the boot between the carb and the air box eliminator kit is super tight on the carb so taking it off would be a project I already know!! Thanks man!!

Higgy87TRX425
07-30-2010, 05:11 PM
I called bruce about getting a silencer for my PSI pipe thats on my bike and he said sure. I figured that I should get the silencer that matches the pipe and the motor on the bike, I would think that this would perform the best. So I call to order a silencer which cost me $175.00 with shipping. When I recieve it it ends up not looking anything like the one in the on-line photo. Its painted flat black and has a 90 degree elbow on the end of the silencer, which would be fine if it was welded on in the right direction!!! Insted this one was facing staight up in the air insted of towards the groung! Ha ha! I guess the laughs on me though. I had to send it back and ended up using a silencer that I already had which is polished aluminum. Then I bought a used ESR Drag pipe and silencer for $150.00, not bad huh?? ESR stuff is looking better and better everyday!!

wilkin250r
07-31-2010, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Higgy87TRX425
It has maybe 15 hrs on it so I don't think that it needs a rebuild,

I should have clarified. By "rebuilding it", I'm just talking about taking it apart and cleaning it.

But I say rebuild because, if spraying a little carb cleaner through the jets doesn't work, it's the same process as a complete rebuild. You want to take the WHOLE thing apart, clean every fuel passage, clean every little piece. Even if you don't replace anything, it's still all the same, complete tear down, clean, re-assemble.

Higgy87TRX425
07-31-2010, 05:45 PM
OK I got ya! I hope just taking the bowl off and cleaning it will do the trick! I'm not looking forward to a complete carb rebuild , but I'll do what I have too, thanks again!

86honda250
08-02-2010, 05:00 PM
pm sent Higgy87TRX425

slamdak8782
08-02-2010, 06:53 PM
I had an awful time with these idiots. Ordered off of ebay from Bruce didnt recieve for several months. I finally recieved it but by that time had completely gotten over the whole thing. It sat in my garage for a couple years. Ended back up on ebay. Do not patronize these people they have horrible customer service. There is no excuse for them. The products are awesome looking but good luck getting them.

hawaiianbasshed
08-06-2010, 10:13 AM
take all plastic/rubber off and boil the carb in distilled water. flipping it every so often. you should be able to see bubbles coming out of every hole. that means it's a clear passage ;)