PDA

View Full Version : Axis Pro Air solid gold or garbage??

motomadman
07-27-2010, 10:47 PM
I have always been a PEP guy however I have a new project were weight savings is very important. I have heard good things about Axis Pro Air but I have heard a few people say they are junk and blow seals on a regular basis. Can anyone shed some light on this because this is a big purchase. Looking for people with personal experience with them. Thanks

jigg14
07-27-2010, 11:25 PM
According to Keith Little (and he told me this while he was still under contract with Custom Axis, so I'm pretty sure its believable) the Axis air shocks have way too much body roll if you set them up for the proper compression. He said that if he was building a race bike and could build it anyway he wanted he'd put Fox's on the front and a Custom Axis on the rear.

I don't have any person experience with the Axis Air shocks, but I run Fox's on my bikes and would not give them up for anything!

motofreak2772
07-28-2010, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by motomadman
I have always been a PEP guy however I have a new project were weight savings is very important. I have heard good things about Axis Pro Air but I have heard a few people say they are junk and blow seals on a regular basis. Can anyone shed some light on this because this is a big purchase. Looking for people with personal experience with them. Thanks
Do you have athread for this build? Im interested :)

motomadman
07-28-2010, 12:31 AM
Actually its a 700XX XC build so I figured there would be no interest on here. Axis is the only company to make air shocks for rear IRS. Fox sells the springed podiums for the rear. The XX is 460 dry, I have done alot to lighten it and am working hard on getting to 400-420 range probably will end up more towards 420. Contrary to what everyone says when lightened and fitted with aftermarket suspension and arms this thing is probably the best woods quad I have ever rode and I've ridden em all.

fastredrider44
07-28-2010, 10:17 AM
You could always get axis shocks with Ti springs. I have a set of Pro-Airs on my bike and have spent a lot of money on them getting them to hold air, and it sucks having to air them up before every ride. I have ridden fox as well, and I'm not convinced theyre a better handling shock, but they do hold air better for sure. I would look into the Ti springs and go that route. There's a reason there aren't many air shocks for the rear on anything.

dustin_j
07-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Where are you from? Find a local shock builder, or take measurements to have a shock builder build a set based on your measurements. M@ul Tech ATV, GT Thunder, etc may help. You need to make sure your extended and compressed lengths are correct. You can take these measurements yourself based on a shock builder's recommendations for rear wheel travel. Then, they can order the shock custom length for you. You won't have to worry about the correct spring rate with an air shock. It sounds like Fox uses pretty standard valving based on leverage ratio, so you'd be set.

Are you using a sway bar? I bet you'd get MASSIVE body roll with air shocks front and rear! Sounds like an interesting project, I'd be interested in a build thread. Especially if you noted how you are shaving weight.

motofreak2772
07-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Yeah deffinatley post the thread. Maybe we can incorperate your ideas into our bikes to lighten weight.