PDA

View Full Version : je piston/cylinder kit

bodfper
07-27-2010, 08:22 PM
I am considering buying a 440 je piston/cylinder kit off of ebay. I would get 12:1 compression. In the listing it says to use stock studs but I want to do the HD studs from GT thunder for insurance. My question is it smart to do this because it says on GTs site to bore and hone cylinder after stud installation but the JE kit comes ready to install. Another question I have is does GT thunder need your cylinder and head of just the cylinder to do the HD stud installation?

THANKS

TRXRacer1
07-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Didn't you just build this engine?

GT just needs the Cylinder.

Unless you're looking to really open this thing up front to back I'd just stay 426 or less. You could have GT to everything then including the bore and hone.

TRX_450
07-28-2010, 09:54 PM
that kit wont fit. youll have to bore your cases. when i built mine i went through 4 of those kits trying to figure out what the eff was going on. ended up getting my money back and just buying a piston and sleeve. dont waste your time and money imo.

IMSROLL450R
07-29-2010, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by TRX_450
that kit wont fit. youll have to bore your cases. when i built mine i went through 4 of those kits trying to figure out what the eff was going on. ended up getting my money back and just buying a piston and sleeve. dont waste your time and money imo.

Are you saying you just bought a sleeve, had it put in your stock cylinder, and didnt have to modify the cases? I want to put a 440 piston and sleeve in but dont really want to mess with splitting the cases if I dont have to.

TRXRacer1
07-29-2010, 05:58 AM
The good sleeves do not require any case work.

TRX_450
07-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by IMSROLL450R
Are you saying you just bought a sleeve, had it put in your stock cylinder, and didnt have to modify the cases? I want to put a 440 piston and sleeve in but dont really want to mess with splitting the cases if I dont have to.

yes. im saying that the 3 kits i got from ebay and even the one i bought from c&d that had the cyllinder already sleeved did not fit, and if you were to have them lathed to fit the sleeve wall would be too thin. it was as if the inner sleeve was bored too much, i could put the piston with rings on it into the sleeve with my hands no problem. when i ended up getting the right one i had to use a piston sleever thing, i forget what theyre called. i wouldnt waste my time or money buying a kit with the cyllinder, it added another solid month of down time for me.

bodfper
07-29-2010, 06:58 PM
I did just build this engine trxracer but I want faster and im going to trade my dad his stock engine for my built engine.

Who makes a good sleeve that I wont need to do case work because case work isnt an option

TRXRacer1
07-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by bodfper
I did just build this engine trxracer but I want faster and im going to trade my dad his stock engine for my built engine. Cool Cool, you get what I'm saying though right? When you get to 440 you have a lot of other work to do if you want to see big gains over what you had otherwise it won't be too much different.

bodfper
07-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Well Not really my rebuild on my 400 was the first build Ive ever done on anything so Im new to this. I just posted a new thread on some of my thoughts for a build but what other work would I have to do with the 440 to make it worth it?

TRX_450
07-29-2010, 08:42 PM
buy a wiseco sleeve

IMSROLL450R
08-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by TRX_450
buy a wiseco sleeve

Will do thanks man.

Honda4life05
08-02-2010, 02:19 PM
you miss the 450r power don't ya??? good luck :D :D :D

IMSROLL450R
08-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Honda4life05
you miss the 450r power don't ya??? good luck :D :D :D

I sure do, these things just dont have the punch that I liked so much from my 06 R. I will have another one when I get my financials straight again...