PDA

View Full Version : Steering stop?

atv fan 28
07-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Something just aint right with my steering. When i turn my bars all the way to either side the spindle/tie-rod nut hits the a-arm. Im thinking someone cut something off before i got the bike. Any ideas? Thanks

atv fan 28
07-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Another pic.

slamdak8782
07-27-2010, 07:29 PM
It should stop on the those collars on the steering stem. they contact a stop on the frame yours looks like it might have been cut off or its not all the way down.

muddymess
07-27-2010, 08:16 PM
the stops look ground down to me

pdxbigfoot
07-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Your steering stem stops have been ground off.

I would imagine a competent welder could re-install them but what a pain in the......

muddymess
07-27-2010, 10:39 PM
my question is why?....

what would dong that achieve? I'm pretty sure the steering goes almost all the way to the point of knuckles hitting even with the stops there. Even if they didn't it would be more logical to just ground down the sides a little until it got close if you wanted more steering.

86 Quad R
07-27-2010, 10:44 PM
yea it looks like the stop is either cut smooth or ground down. another visit to deaf man chassis ehhhh?

why would someone cut them off like that? anyone know if there is a special racing application for doing this? :huh

1promodfan
07-28-2010, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
yea it looks like the stop is either cut smooth or ground down. another visit to deaf man chassis ehhhh?

why would someone cut them off like that? anyone know if there is a special racing application for doing this? :huh

I'm kinda shooting in the wind, but maybe to get more turn radius? Maybe for MX racing or something??

86 Quad R
07-28-2010, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by 1promodfan
I'm kinda shooting in the wind, but maybe to get more turn radius? Maybe for MX racing or something??

i'm sure but deffinately better ways to go about it.... that route is about bo-dunk!! not to mention totally unsafe. lol

atvmxr
07-28-2010, 08:52 AM
hell that was a well known mx trick back in the day! and yes it was make sure you turn the wheels as far as possible.

not sure if it really accomplished anything though... :)

atv fan 28
07-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R

Yup another visit to Deaf Man.
:p

I took the frame down to Chris this afternoon. He is going to weld me some tabs on there.