PDA

View Full Version : !@#$%$#!

Honda4LifeWes36
07-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Racing today, cracked the plastics right about the air shrouds after hitting a jump. GRRRR

440ex. ehhh!!
07-26-2010, 08:15 PM
where? right where the shrouds mount to the plastics? or out more?
if its not where they mount, just cut the fenders :p

JOHNDOE83
07-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Personally Im not a big fan of air shrouds, Unless you do some serious cross country type racing, or install a big fan in the middle of the shrouds, they really dont do anything a spal fan cant do.

This is just an opinion, but the air shrouds add to much weight, the spal fan is the way to go in this case, beags once had a thread about using a 450r radiator fan, if you added the 450r fan to the shrouds, it would be a great cooling mod, but for MX racing or racing in general, your wasting your time, unless its cross country or extended high speed trail riding.

I run a 440 without a fan or anything other then the stock oil cooler, I never have heat issues, for racing you want light weight, not all that added hardware, How many pro MX atvs have shrouds?

IMO, and it is just my opinion, they are just a gimic and arent nessescary for average racing or riding, they only are effective at high speed for extended time.

440ex. ehhh!!
07-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Air shrouds aren't made from heavy steel, there is no chance you would notice a difference in weight.

I think they look pretty cool too.

Josh

flyboy1294
07-26-2010, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
...How many pro MX atvs have shrouds?

How many pro MX atvs are air-cooled? ;)

I don't think they would do much good unless you were at speed, but they can't hurt imo.

beags86
07-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
beags once had a thread about using a 450r radiator fan, if you added the 450r fan to the shrouds, it would be a great cooling mod, but for MX racing or racing in general, your wasting your time, unless its cross country or extended high speed trail riding.

yep i started a thread about this, but know one had done it, or piped in about it, i know spal fans are cheap but i thought the R fan could be had cheaper and its much bigger.. i think it would be a hot setup for a 440 in the woods, maybe the cbr cooler and bigger oil tank.....

you don't need a fan at high speeds, thats where the scoops/shrouds come in, and they do nothing sitting so hence the fan.

really i think it come downs to what you do with your quad, i used to ride nothing but hauling as* though fields so i never need a fan, so i built my shrouds.
now i live in colorado and the trails are alot slower, so both my exs will be getting fans... at least when i get around to it...lol

JOHNDOE83
07-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by 440ex. ehhh!!
Air shrouds aren't made from heavy steel, there is no chance you would notice a difference in weight.

I think they look pretty cool too.

Josh

I know they arent made of steel....lol.

They do look really cool also, I agree....lol.

But looks dont do anything for racing, but I gurantee that if you took your quad to the drag strip, ran it with alloy skid plates and air shrouds, then ran it without, you would be faster without.

I know everyones gonna say but thats drag racing, but In fact it is the same principle's as MX and any type of racing, trying to get the hole shot, being faster on the straight sections, that few pounds of weight add's up quick when trying to win a race.

When it comes to power to weight ratio's, on a CC's based motor, even 5 lbs could be 1/2 a HP.

I would bet they also cause more air drag on the quad at speed also, just like adding a wing to a race car, it adds force to the rear tires, and in turn add's drag to the car, sacrificing some speed. Almost like having a parachute on the front of the ATV, redirecting air to the center of the quad.

Really Im just trying to say that a spal fan would do alot more then air shrouds, and would benefit more for racing.

If your trying to get it really cool, put beags 450r radiator fan idea along with the air shrouds and have almost a radiator type cooling system. If you dont care about weight...lol.

3400ben
07-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Am I missing something? Where did Honda4LifeWes36 ask the question of which is better air shroud or fan? All he said was "Racing today, cracked the plastics right about the air shrouds after hitting a jump. GRRRR".

Ryan'07400ex
07-27-2010, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by flyboy1294
How many pro MX atvs are air-cooled? ;)

Now Jake, how many air cooled quads get hotter than the ol 400ex? Alot

My YFZ does!

Miami_Vice454
07-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Am I missing something? Where did Honda4LifeWes36 ask the question of which is better air shroud or fan? All he said was "Racing today, cracked the plastics right about the air shrouds after hitting a jump. GRRRR". __________________

i was just thinking that.

Now Jake, how many air cooled quads get hotter than the ol 400ex? Alot My YFZ does!

YFZ's are not air-cooled.......

Honda4LifeWes36
07-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Yeah I was thinking about shaving the fenders but the crack is like half way through that little groove that dips down. I always though race cut was right on the end of that groove.

JOHNDOE83
07-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by 3400ben
Am I missing something? Where did Honda4LifeWes36 ask the question of which is better air shroud or fan? All he said was "Racing today, cracked the plastics right about the air shrouds after hitting a jump. GRRRR".

Really he wasnt asking anything, he just made a statement, but the person after that posted "where did it break, at the plastics?"

So technically its an open thread, I guess.

If it were mounted to the plastic in some way and it broke the plastics, then in my opinion the air shroud design has a major flaw.

So actually my statement about my "opinion" on air shouds actually goes with the thread, if it broke his plastic, he should switch it up to a fan instead.