PDA

View Full Version : methanol use in atv

400exrider1990
07-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Could you use methanol fuel in a 440ex and it run just as good as race fuel cause methanol has a estimated octane of 101 octane rating??

droppedmazda
07-26-2010, 01:48 PM
if you jet it correctly it will work just the same as race fuel, but you have to purge your motor with gas to get the alky back out of the motor so it dont cause corrosion. i dont know what kind of alky your getting but mine has an estimated octane level of 130.

riotact
07-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Would you have to worry about corrosion with race fuel?I run turbo blue 110 but when I'm done riding I always shut the fuel off and run the carb dry.

Wheelie
07-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Try E-85, more power than race gas and it doesn't corrode or cause fuel system issues.

droppedmazda
07-26-2010, 10:33 PM
no you dont have to purge with race fuel with the exception of a few. E85 is actually a better choice for your application. it does have a few erroding characteristics but not nearly as bad as alky. ive thought about trying it myself but its an availability issue for me. if you can get, use it.

CarGuy7a
07-28-2010, 12:02 AM
Also when you run 100% methanol, you need to use an oil that is methanol compatible or you can wreck an engine. What happens is the alky will cause alot of condensation in the oil and that water in the oil is not good. I've seen guys run regular oil with alky in V8 dirt oval cars and wash cam bearings out and pretty much flat out wreck a good motor.

droppedmazda
07-28-2010, 11:50 AM
i run rotella synthetic with no issues. but u do need to run a very little amount of top end lube in alky but most places u get it have already added some. with alky u need to change the oil a little more often because its so thin it goes past the rings and does mix with the oil.

TRXRacer1
07-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Alky is a pain in the ***. I've been using E85 for at least 3 years now and there is ZERO eroding issues to worry about. The stuff will not attack anything in our machines. You do want to store extra fuel in ventless cans and the fuel tank vent line should have a check in it to prevent the E85 from picking up too much moisture from the air. Great stuff and around 105 octane!

droppedmazda
07-28-2010, 07:20 PM
alky dont attack anything either, it picks up moisture just like E85. but i do agree the E85 would be a better choice for a trail bike. but alky is a good alternative if you cant get E85. its not near as much hassel as everyone thinks it is.