PDA

View Full Version : Tricks of the trade-painting and taking apart

speedy400
02-03-2003, 08:11 PM
hey-
Because of my budget I'll be doing everything by myself-painting the frame:macho :confused2 :blah can't wait, I'm starting this wed.. Is there any tricks for taking apart the quad to get to the frame itself? And also for painting it, All I know so far is I have a manual, will be getting paint, I should be sure to lable EVERYTHING especially electrical stuff. And for painting i should do it in warm a temp, and put tons of coats of clear on it especially the bottem part,cuz I'm just using spray paint. Also, if i use sand paper(1 time with rough grit and 1-3 times with finer grit to get her nice and smooth) to the frame, will it be ok?Thanks a lot for anything,(my 1st time)

i'll have pics in a few days hopefully..

toby400ex
02-03-2003, 08:19 PM
I have a feeling spray paint wont last long , even if you do use some clear coat, there is this stuff called por15, it doesnt cost too much and it is some top quality chit, it wont come off like spray paint either. It would cost maybe $65 to do the whole frame, do it right, dont spray paint it.:( go to www.por15.com

luvmyex
02-03-2003, 08:22 PM
Not sure how it will hold up.But when painting several THIN coats do much better then a few heavy coats.

speedy400
02-03-2003, 08:31 PM
sounds like that por-15 is the way to go, can i get it at like a auto place or something?

tjd400
02-03-2003, 08:58 PM
You can get por 15 here too www.porstore.com They have a free catalog you can get to with all the good por stuff. If there are any autobody shop paint suppliers around you they may be able to get you some or they have a bunch on ebay to. :macho

speedy400
02-03-2003, 09:00 PM
thanks, but also bad to the original Q, any tricks?

tjd400
02-03-2003, 09:09 PM
Keep everything in boxes. This may sound funny but put all yuor nuts and bolts in egg cartons and lable each hole as to where they go also you could take pics of areas where you might think you may have a hard time figureing it out putting it back together. get one of the honda repair manuals and you will be set. Just take your time. If you think about it there really is not alot of parts. try to take apart as little as possible to get it off to keep it easier :D

02 Red Rider
02-03-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by speedy400
thanks, but also bad to the original Q, any tricks?

I just tore down and rebuilt mine. I got a box of ziplok bags and a permanent marker. For instance all of my a-arm bolts and nuts went into one bag and was labeled then placed into a box. I also stoped and took pictures with my digital camera every so often as I was tearing it down. If you don't have a digital just by a disposable and get it developed before you start to put it back together. Take close pics of your electrical connections and oil lines, etc... Plus you'll have some progress pics to put in your photo album. :D

muff
02-04-2003, 02:04 PM
personally I dont like ziplock bags, I have one of those shelf things that have like 20+ little drawers in them, i put all of the small nuts and bolts in those, along w/ a small label so i know where they go

DGR Designs
02-04-2003, 02:36 PM
you can take cardboard too for a really trick look and put your bolts thru it and paint the heads

muff
02-04-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by DGR Designs
you can take cardboard too for a really trick look and put your bolts thru it and paint the heads

yes thats if your beakin into your engine, in the cylmers manual i have, when you take of the top end, or any piece really, they say to trace the piece onto cardboard and then stick the bolts throught the cardboard where they go

speedy400
02-04-2003, 08:21 PM
thanks for all the help. one last thing, here in MN its pretty frikkin cold out, what temp is the lowest for using that por-15 paint?

tjd400
02-04-2003, 09:24 PM
I would try to stay above at least 50, if you can get to 60 that would be alot better. Are you trying to do this outside or do you have a shed or garage to work in. You defintley(sp) do NOT want to do this in your house because of the fumes. Find someplace with some heat and good venilation(sp) and you will be good to go....:D

speedy400
02-05-2003, 09:59 AM
I dont really know where I would do it now... i can't to it in the garage well I could turn on the bullet heater, but that'd be kinda spendy and dangerous to leave on for a few day for it to dry and stuff, so i might just wait till the weather agrees with me, I can't belive i forgot about that....:o thanks for the help guys