PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Chevy Pickup V6

rooster300ex
07-25-2010, 10:51 AM
My girlfriends truck is starting to not start right up it turns over for several seconds before it starts and when it does the rpm's are damn near on zero and then idles up to 500 rpms and it usually is on 700rpm's. U think its the O2 sensor,plugs,air filter, fuel filter. Also the altenator gauge jumps around from 14 and lower sometimes. Any ideas?

slightlybent47
07-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Sounds like you may have a battery or starter problem.
I would start with the battery, then check the alternator and then the starter, in that order.
Check and see if you have a vacuum leak somewhere, and depending on how many miles it has it might be time for a tune up. check the timing and see if that is good, sometimes it will change over time. I just checked mine and it was off quite a bit. Also take it to pep boys and have them put there little tester on it and see if it gives a code for anything. They will test it for free.
I would start with everything and just start eliminating things as you go.

Good luck!!

rooster300ex
07-25-2010, 01:40 PM
i believe it has over 150,000 miles. I have some plugs to put in it but The socket i was using wasn't doin the job. Does it have to be a certain type of socket?

slightlybent47
07-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Any deep socket should work given it’s the right size.

97blaster200
07-25-2010, 01:59 PM
take the alternator off and bring it to autozone/advance auto. any parts store really. have them check it out to see if thats the problem. usually when the voltage gauge jumps around, thats the problem.

also, the spark plugs are most likely a 5/8 deep socket.

slightlybent47
07-25-2010, 02:17 PM
If the voltage meter bumps when you have the turn signal on that’s normal, but if it dose it when there is nothing on then the regulator in the alternator could be going out. If it is then the battery is probably not getting fully charged up and that’s causing the weak starts. Take the battery with you when you take the alternator so you can have that checked as well.

The low idle could be a number of things, chances are it needs a tune up so I’d start there.